Trail Running Footwear

7lenny7
7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
Those of you who run trails, what are you using for footwear?

I've been hiking quite a bit lately, up to 14 miles per hike. At times I feel motivated to run so I'll run for 100 yards or so then slow down and walk. I can see where I might get to the point some day where I'm doing more running than walking so I'm starting thinking about getting footwear better suited for trail running. I don't run on pavement currently.

Currently I'm wearing some Merrell Moab Ventilator hiking shoes which are in need of replacement. Options as I see it are, another pair of trail hiking shoes, trail running shoes (like the Brooks Cascadian), or road running shoes.

Replies

• 7lenny7
    I had never heard of Vibrams before but looked them up. I don't know if i could stand wearing something that went around each individual toe!
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    edited May 2015
    these are the BEST trail shoes - salomon speedcross 3. i wear these all the time on my trails and i've even worn them to tough mudder. i swear, it's like tires on your feet!

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=52593696&gclid=CjwKEAjwvbGqBRCs3eH4o5C74CYSJAB3TODs49PySnhRdqfe36Rtsu7qeD9KbeC-XQiBUgt2vwDWZxoCzFfw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

road running shoes won't do much in terms of traction if your trails are technical (hills, uneven terrain etc). in fact, you'll expend more energy trying to get around/up the hills from all the slippage. to each his own but the salomon shoes are my favorite.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Inov-8

//end discussion
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    I use Saucony trail shoes at the moment, GTX in winter, ventilated in summer. I'm contemplating a move to Inov-8 though.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    I'm debating between the Salamon XR Mission and the Karhu Flow Trails.

I love my Karhu road shoes.
    But the issue with both of those shoes above are they're neutral shoes and I wear stability shoes.
    The bigger problem is I have a broken fibula and can't try either lol
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    I have the Inov-8 Ultra 270, the Merrell Trail Glove, and the Montrail Fluid-flex.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    kpodaru wrote: »
    these are the BEST trail shoes - salomon speedcross 3. i wear these all the time on my trails and i've even worn them to tough mudder. i swear, it's like tires on your feet!

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=52593696&gclid=CjwKEAjwvbGqBRCs3eH4o5C74CYSJAB3TODs49PySnhRdqfe36Rtsu7qeD9KbeC-XQiBUgt2vwDWZxoCzFfw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

road running shoes won't do much in terms of traction if your trails are technical (hills, uneven terrain etc). in fact, you'll expend more energy trying to get around/up the hills from all the slippage. to each his own but the salomon shoes are my favorite.

LOVE my Salomon Speedcross 3s! Quick, light, comfortable and great traction even on the road.

Check out Ginger Runner's shoe reviews on YouTube. He is a 95% trail ultra runner and reviews a lot of shoes. However all the reviews in the world won't make a difference until you go into a store and get fitted properly for a shoe to suit your foot.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015

But the issue with both of those shoes above are they're neutral shoes and I wear stability shoes.

I use motion control shoes on the road, can't think of any trail shoes that are motion control, with the maximals being cushioned, so suitable for supinators.

For trail running I'm more comfortable in a neutral, low drop, than I am in higher drop control shoes. That said, beginning of the season my calves get hammered with the change in shoe.
  • 7lenny7
    Sorry, I should have been more specific in what I was asking. I wasn't looking for recommendation on a particular model, I'm looking for a recommendation on the TYPE of shoe to wear...train running shoe, road running shoe, or hiking shoe. I'm just curious about the pros & cons of each type for this application.

Once I decide which type of shoe, then I can look at a particular model, based on how a particular model fit on my feet.

I haven't googled all the different models mentioned above, but it sounds like most of you are wearing trail running shoes.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Yeah... if you are going to start running more, then you definitely want trail running shoes.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    If you like Merrell's hiking shoes, you might like their trail running shoes, too. I like the Bare Access shoes. I've got a street pair and a trail pair.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I love to hike but I love to run the same trails even more, so +1 for a trail running shoe.

I would not expect them to last as long as a light hiker though...
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    edited May 2015
    I hike and run in trail running shoes. I like them light and breathable. I used to think you needed boots to hike in but I started following this guy's blog and books and his take on footwear has sunk in.

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/why-waterproof-shoes-will-not-keep-your-feet-dry/

I've used Merrel Grassbows and I have a pair of GoLite shoes now. I really like the GoLite shoes. They've got a softer sole than the Merel shoes did which helps when carrying a heavier pack.

Edit: I also have Moab Ventilators but they're mostly relegated to daily wear now.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

I use motion control shoes on the road, can't think of any trail shoes that are motion control, with the maximals being cushioned, so suitable for supinators.

For trail running I'm more comfortable in a neutral, low drop, than I am in higher drop control shoes. That said, beginning of the season my calves get hammered with the change in shoe.

Asics has a trail version of their GT-2000 3 model.
    There's a Brooks Adrenaline trail version as well.
    (I love the shoe finder on Running Warehouse)

I'm holding off on buying trails for 2 reasons - 1, that pesky broken fib. 2, my mom wears the Soloman XR Missions and has a spare pair I can test when I'm able to run.

I'm not a huge trail runner but I was planning on getting more into it, plus I have a trail 25k later this year...

• jacksonpt
    edited May 2015
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have been more specific in what I was asking. I wasn't looking for recommendation on a particular model, I'm looking for a recommendation on the TYPE of shoe to wear...train running shoe, road running shoe, or hiking shoe. I'm just curious about the pros & cons of each type for this application.

Once I decide which type of shoe, then I can look at a particular model, based on how a particular model fit on my feet.

I haven't googled all the different models mentioned above, but it sounds like most of you are wearing trail running shoes.

Speaking VERRRY generally...

The only pro to road running sneakers I can think of is the greater variety/selection. Potential cons are less protection and less traction. How problematic those things are will depend on your trails and, to some extent, your running style.

Trail running sneakers have come a long way, and can be as light, flexible, nimble as you want them to be. Traction can also be as aggressive as you want, depending on your needs, and some will offer more protection from things like sharp rocks, roots, sticks, etc. IMO, there is no real con to this group if you select a shoe that is well suited to your needs/trails (i.e. a lighter, faster shoes for more groomed trails, a more robust, aggressive shoe for more technical trails).

Trail hikers will generally be a bit heavier and less flexible, but offer more protection and potentially more support.

IMO, a trail running sneaker can be incredibly versatile. I've used them for everything from 8 hr day hikes to racing off-road triathlons.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited May 2015
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nike-Pegasus-Trail-Running-Shoes/dp/B0077WHGQK
    Sorry, just seen that you wanted recommendations of the type of shoe. These are the shoes that I wear for all walking, trail running and road running. Love them. They have good ankle support and good tread without being too heavy. I have a neutral gait.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    My trail-running shoes have the same fit as my street-running shoes. The difference is stiffness and tread. My trail is hard dirt, sand and gravel.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    shoes are a very personal thing.....I myself am an absolute shoe *kitten* and do not have a "favorite," only some that I like more than others. I would consider what type of terrain you will be using it in. I have some Salomon's that I will use if it is particularly muddy but otherwise I run in something with a less aggressive sole. If you will be running a lot of hills, you may want to size up a bit to allow your toes some room on the downhills.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Curt911 wrote: »
    .....I myself am an absolute shoe *kitten* and do not have a "favorite," only some that I like more than others.
    ^^^ Yep... 12 pairs here and I still feel the need to get more...

• jacksonpt
    Curt911 wrote: »
    .....I myself am an absolute shoe *kitten* and do not have a "favorite," only some that I like more than others.
    ^^^ Yep... 12 pairs here and I still feel the need to get more...

Dam... I'm only at 9 pairs. #amateur