how to track weight loss when building muscle?

Hi all
so I was wondering, how do you track weight loss when you are building muscle? I've started using MFP again but I've been doing a lot of weights and toning exercises. I went on the scales yesterday and I've gained weight rather than loose it! I know I've lost weight from my clothes and just by looking at myself....so how do I track fat loss or can I not?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    sammy39 wrote: »
    Hi all
    so I was wondering, how do you track weight loss when you are building muscle?

You don't. For the most part, they're mutually exclusive.
  • sammy39
    sammy39 Posts: 3 Member
    Ok thanks, its kinda what I thought
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    If you've put some weight on, it's likely additional water weight retained by your muscles to compensate for the new exercise.

You can do a recomp, which involves eating at or close to maintenance while heavy lifting. This can very slowly change your body composition, but it takes a long time and you have to be pretty on point with your nutrition and training.

Otherwise, eat at a deficit to lose weight; eat at a surplus to build muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You retain more water for muscle repair when you lift. You can't gain appreciable muscle while you are dieting. One of the big benefits of lifting while you're dieting is preservation of the lean mass that you have...it's much easier to preserve what you have then to have to turn around and re-build. Building muscle mass is a *kitten*.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    You generally won't (can't) build muscle and lose weight at the same time.

It can't be done by most of us mere mortals.