Toning up

Options
i eat around 1,400 calories a day and work out on top of that (I know I don't eat that much but I struggle to eat anymore) I mostly struggle with carbs and how many grams I need per day. If I want a low carb diet how many grams of carbs should I intake a day?

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How many carbs you need per day is going to depend on the type and duration of your workouts.

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    As far as wanting a low carb diet, low carb is user defined and will vary by personal preference.
    A Keto diet will be around 20 grams of carbs, For some people low carb is 50 grams while others consider 100 grams low.
    It's your diet, gear it for your needs and likes. Experiment with various macros and find what works for you.
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone up you're right with keeping your carbs lower. Everyone's body is different and how they will react, I don't like the typical diets saying you should do really low carbs because it's not realistic long term. I would stick around 30-40% carbs, 30-35% protein and 25-30% fat. You can adjust it in the settings and according to your total calories it will automatically tell you the grams, makes it easier in my opinion in case you want to lower or raise total calories in the future. Keeping your carbs in that range and protein higher you'll lean out good. Even on some days if you do cardio drop your carbs down a little more to the 30% to burn extra fat. I don't know what your maintenance calories are but I assume 1400 is below your maintenance right? Because you'd need to be in a deficit to tone up, sticking around 200-400cal below maintenance is ideal. Don't go below 1,000 or even 1,100cal in my personal opinion. Your body will go into starvation mode. It's a slow process so be patient but it will pay off. Take measurements of waist and other body parts every week and record to know if you need to change something.
  • GrenadeRachel
    GrenadeRachel Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think I need less fat more protein ha ! thank you for your help. :smile: 4d6h9kp14bb3.jpg
  • Garebearrr
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You aren't that far off though! It looks good. It's better to be higher on your fats than carbs in my opinion. You'll get it down to a science trust me lol and no problem
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    gparfitt09 wrote: »
    If you want to tone up you're right with keeping your carbs lower. Everyone's body is different and how they will react, I don't like the typical diets saying you should do really low carbs because it's not realistic long term. I would stick around 30-40% carbs, 30-35% protein and 25-30% fat. You can adjust it in the settings and according to your total calories it will automatically tell you the grams, makes it easier in my opinion in case you want to lower or raise total calories in the future. Keeping your carbs in that range and protein higher you'll lean out good. Even on some days if you do cardio drop your carbs down a little more to the 30% to burn extra fat. I don't know what your maintenance calories are but I assume 1400 is below your maintenance right? Because you'd need to be in a deficit to tone up, sticking around 200-400cal below maintenance is ideal. Don't go below 1,000 or even 1,100cal in my personal opinion. Your body will go into starvation mode. It's a slow process so be patient but it will pay off. Take measurements of waist and other body parts every week and record to know if you need to change something.

Keeping carbs low has no bearing on whether you'll "tone up" or not. Being in a deficit will do that... (and contradicting yourself by saying everyone reacts differently?)

Dropping carbs will make you burn more fat because you'll be in more of a deficit. You could just eat less in general.

And no, you won't go in to "starvation Mode"... You may adapt to lower calories, but you aren't going to starve...
  • Garebearrr
    Options

Keeping carbs low has no bearing on whether you'll "tone up" or not. Being in a deficit will do that... (and contradicting yourself by saying everyone reacts differently?)

Dropping carbs will make you burn more fat because you'll be in more of a deficit. You could just eat less in general.

And no, you won't go in to "starvation Mode"... You may adapt to lower calories, but you aren't going to starve...

Both play a role... Hence why I mentioned both. How am I contradicting myself? Everyone does react differently to different ratios. I was giving guidelines from personal experience. You will go into starvation mode if you're eating below 1,000calories eventually. It's simple nutrition. You wonder why the HCG diet (500cal/day) doesn't work and 93% of people gain the weight back? Yeah. Try educating yourself before you pick apart a person that is helping another.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Garebearrr wrote: »

Both play a role... Hence why I mentioned both. How am I contradicting myself? Everyone does react differently to different ratios. I was giving guidelines from personal experience. You will go into starvation mode if you're eating below 1,000calories eventually. It's simple nutrition. You wonder why the HCG diet (500cal/day) doesn't work and 93% of people gain the weight back? Yeah. Try educating yourself before you pick apart a person that is helping another.

Starvation mode is not a thing.
    Adaptive Thermogenesis exists but can only lower your TDEE by a few hundred calories.
    And you contradicted yourself when you said that everyone reacts differently but lowering your carbs WILL lean you out more. (It won't.)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited May 2015
    Options

"if you're wanting to tone up you're right to lower carbs".... "everyone's body reacts differently". So she might not need to lower carbs to tone up (she doesnt)..sounds like contradictory information to me.

They gain the weight back because they go back to eating how they did before at the end of their "diet". Just like plenty of people who diet with an end date and think that's the end of the process. Sure, their metabolic rate is probably lower than at the start of their diet, because they've adapted to lower calories, but they aren't in starvation mode. They just eat more than their requirements.
  • Garebearrr
    Options

"if you're wanting to tone up you're right to lower carbs".... "everyone's body reacts differently". So she might not need to lower carbs to tone up (she doesnt)..

They gain the weight back because they go back to eating how they did before at the end of their "diet". Just like plenty of people who diet with an end date and think that's the end of the process.

Oh I see now, I meant in general lowering carbs is a good guideline for helping aid with toning but whether a person is eating 25-40% carbs (anything under 45% I consider on the lower side) is dependent upon the individual.

Yes that can be true. It may be from not having enough self discipline but when the body reaches that low of calories for a certain amount of time it's not sustainable so the persons mindset is to binge which might trigger them to eat normal again. I was speaking in general people tend to have a lot of deficiencies when they go below 1000cal. I never would nor would I recommend anyone I cared about. Anyway let others contribute to this girls post rather than bringing it down guys.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

"if you're wanting to tone up you're right to lower carbs".... "everyone's body reacts differently". So she might not need to lower carbs to tone up (she doesnt)..

They gain the weight back because they go back to eating how they did before at the end of their "diet". Just like plenty of people who diet with an end date and think that's the end of the process.

Oh I see now, I meant in general lowering carbs is a good guideline for helping aid with toning but whether a person is eating 25-40% carbs (anything under 45% I consider on the lower side) is dependent upon the individual.

Yes that can be true. It may be from not having enough self discipline but when the body reaches that low of calories for a certain amount of time it's not sustainable so the persons mindset is to binge which might trigger them to eat normal again. I was speaking in general people tend to have a lot of deficiencies when they go below 1000cal. I never would nor would I recommend anyone I cared about. Anyway let others contribute to this girls post rather than bringing it down guys.

Say what you mean then! That's not what you said..
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You'll want to aim for about 1g of protein per pound of body weight, you don't need it spot on but roughly that amount is good, fat could go a tiny bit lower but it's not going to hurt where it is if you're otherwise hitting your calorie goal & not feeling any adverse effects. Fat is important in your diet so don't go bizarrely restrictive on it... about 0.5g per lb of lean mass is good, but unless you know your body fat you'll be guesstimating anyway.

Carbs can make up the rest of your calorie allowance, don't worry about the grammage.
  • GrenadeRachel
    GrenadeRachel Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lowered my fats to 50g, my carbs to 90g and my protein to 95g thanks for your help