Help! Can I go from a UK 10 to an 8 in 10 weeks?!

Options
2»

Replies

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Get it alterec, you are fine the way you are. Look for a good seamstress that has done alterations on vintage dresses before. Trust me it can be done without harming the dress, my mum used to do it all the time. You can even add to the beauty of the dress. Your health is too important. Good luck with the dress and enjoy every minute of your wedding day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd get running for 30 minutes every other day, it changes your shape as if you have lost weight. Keep your calories in a deficit at the same time. Other than that have it altered and enjoy your day, some things are more important x :)
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am only about 4lbs under my wedding day weight (got married in June 2014) but if I tried my dress on today I know it would be hanging off me!! I started lifting weights a few months ago. It hasn't made a big difference to the scale but my body has changed shape so much. Don't worry so much about the number in the scale... :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Dropping a dress size in 10 weeks at your weight should be pretty doable, as it's probably only a 10 pound difference or so (I'm not a lot smaller than you but I find even five pounds is sometimes enough to switch sizes when you're already fairly small.) It's aggressive enough at a pound a week when you're already at a fairly low weight, so you'd have to be pretty strict about counting correctly, getting exercise, not "cheating" (exceeding your calorie goal) etc, but it's certainly not impossible.

If I were in your position, I'd be working on meticulously counting my calories, getting as much exercise in as possible, and finding a good pair of Spanx, but also checking with a tailor to see what kind of alterations are possible and how quickly they can be done, just in case. Because it would be pretty bad not to have a backup plan.

I'm getting married in a couple weeks myself and I lost just under 10 pounds in about the same amount of time for it, so I know it's not impossible or impossibly stressful, but I had to be pretty strict about it and weigh and log literally everything I ate because I had pretty much no room for error.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Go to a good seamstress and see if it can be let out. If it's vintage, it might have generous seam allowances built into the fabric. A professional seamstress might be able to make some changes to it, like changing the back to a lace-up corset to allow for more give.

Between that and some Spanx, you might be able to get it closed. But beware of the stuffed sausage look; clothes that are a bit too small can tend to make you look bigger, not smaller -- which I assume is NOT the look you're going for on your wedding day.

Other than that, you might be SOL. You're already at a low weight for your height. And even if you do manage to lose some weight, you can't predict where it will come from. If the dress is tight at the waist, but you end up losing from your arms or ankles or neck or whatever, then that won't help you at all.

Next time, buy a dress that fits. (Okay, it's a wedding dress, so hopefully there won't be a next time. But you get the idea.)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    The dress should be fitted to you and not vice versa. Get it altered, be happy that you are at a good size for you, focus on the upcoming day :)
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with lots of the replies you have got already - it is possible, but you will have to be very strict with your calorie counting and incorporatimg exercise. Give it a month, see how its going and how the dress fits and if you're not sure you'll get there, it may then be worth thinking about getting it altered - I'm sure you won't want to be stressing about it right up to your wedding day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends on your bone structure and how much muscle you have, as well as how much effort you're willing to put in, you don't want to look gaunt in your wedding pictures
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    On the surface, it sounds reasonable at just over 1lb a week. However, other things will come into play such as will that put you at a too low/borderline too low weight for your height, (gets harder to lose, the lower you get) what your body composition and bone structure is like (fat loss while retaining muscle will be a greater size loss than the same weight in fat and muscle), where you store fat (is the area that's tightest, the last place you lose?) how much effort you put into it etc

I'd certainly give it a go, but maybe as a back up, have the option of someone to make last minute alterations if necessary.
  • lagosforever
    lagosforever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes you can but you are probably looking at 1000 calories per day max and exercising on top of that without eating calories back.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'd certainly give it a go, but maybe as a back up, have the option of someone to make last minute alterations if necessary.

Don't wait until the last minute for alterations! Take the dress in now -- it's already cutting it close -- and have it altered to fit you now.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Don't wait until the last minute for alterations! Take the dress in now -- it's already cutting it close -- and have it altered to fit you now.

The wedding industry definitely wants you to think that 10 weeks is "last minute" for dress alterations, but I know, for example, that my regular tailor would be more than comfortable and competent doing a wedding dress alteration in a week or two if necessary. She should certainly be making contingency plans (finding a tailor who can and will alter if it can be altered) but I just don't understand why everything attached to "wedding" takes 10x as long and is 3x as expensive as for any other occasion.

I dunno. Maybe I'm the wrong person to give advice on this one as I bought my dress online without trying it on from the David's $99 clearance and the way people get in a such a huge flap about wedding dresses baffles me.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »

The wedding industry definitely wants you to think that 10 weeks is "last minute" for dress alterations, but I know, for example, that my regular tailor would be more than comfortable and competent doing a wedding dress alteration in a week or two if necessary. She should certainly be making contingency plans (finding a tailor who can and will alter if it can be altered) but I just don't understand why everything attached to "wedding" takes 10x as long and is 3x as expensive as for any other occasion.

I dunno. Maybe I'm the wrong person to give advice on this one as I bought my dress online without trying it on from the David's $99 clearance and the way people get in a such a huge flap about wedding dresses baffles me.
    I agree. I think they do it to add to the mystique of the whole thing (AKA cost).
    It's a long time ago, but I was engaged and married within 6 weeks. I made my own dress and everyone was horrified because they thought it should take months! It took me a couple of weeks after work, no problem.