shakes and pills

2»

Replies

• nmmd
    nmmd Posts: 94 Member
    nmmd wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    ya going to live off pills and shakes for the rest of your life?

go on with your merry self....

A bit rude. She is a young girl and "go on with your merry self" is not called for. You asked for "Fun" people in your profile. You do not seem like a lot of "Fun" to me. Just saying

I agree!
    I agree that it was a rude reply ... Just no need!

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    ya going to live off pills and shakes for the rest of your life?

go on with your merry self....

A bit rude. She is a young girl and "go on with your merry self" is not called for. You asked for "Fun" people in your profile. You do not seem like a lot of "Fun" to me. Just saying

I agree!
    I agree that it was a rude reply ... Just no need!

And your contribution to helping the OP is?
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    OP, pills, shakes and detox cleanses...forget them. Here on MFP it's all about CICO--calories in, calories out.

Congrats on the birth of your daughter and not waiting 10-20 years to take better care of yourself. I had three children and never had to exercise much. I was a tomboy as a girl and stayed pretty active as a young adult. But after child #3 my life became much more sedentary due to work and the weight just crept on year after year.

Don't look at this as a quick-fix or temporary solution to shed the post pregnancy pounds. It's your chance to live healthier and look better for the rest of your life. And that requires focus and dedication from here on out.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    You don't need shakes, pills or detoxes or cleanses. It's all a scam. Don't waste your time or money. There's no quick fix and there's no replacement for hard work. Think about it, if there was really a pill, shake, detox, cleanse that would make people lose weight, then we would all be thin!! There's no need for any of that junk. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. Get a food scale and weigh and measure everything to be sure that your really eating at a deficit. That's all you need. Save your money and don't buy into scams.
    Ps, your inbox will soon be full of people trying to sell you high price, low quality shakes and pills. Don't fall for it. Anything that someone tries to sell you will be a scam for sure.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Home made smoothies, soups and salads are better and keep you full for longer. Add protein and plenty veggies. Reduce your carb intake a little and away you go. Better than shakes and diet pills.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Although I don't disagree with anyone's opinion here, I do think shakes can be nutrious and filling and low calorie.

The downside is that the are expensive. Fresh fruit, premium protien powder, organic nut butter...whether homemade or prepared.

I use Shakeology from beach body. it is roughly $3.95 per shake if I add almond milk. That is crazy expensive and not sustainable for a lifetime of good eating habits. However it keeps me full for hours and has under 220 calories. It tastes ok. The nutrition profile is like taking a multivitamin.

You just admitted to the issue right there. It is not sustainable long term, which means when it is all said and done you're still going to need to learn to eat real food and accomplish the same things you're accomplishing with the shake.

Take a multivitamin and make your own protein shake. Cheaper and sustainable long term for when you occasionally need something quick for breakfast.

I would not recommend anyone buy expensive shakes to lose weight. This needs to be a lifestyle change, not a "diet", or it will never work long term.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    "Shakes" are just expensive meal replacements. If you need the structure that such meal replacements provide, they can have a place in your diet as a means to achieve a calorie goal. Most people find that they are not "sustainable" in that you won't be living the rest of your life using shakes as meal replacements. Sooner or later you are going to have to figure out appropriate portions of foods. The best way to do that is by weighing/measuring your food and logging it here on MFP.

"Detox" is bunk. Your body naturally removes toxins using the liver and kidneys. If you have been exposed to toxins that they cannot deal with you have a more serious health issue that needs to be addressed by medical professionals.

There are very few pills that will do anything for your weight loss, and the ones that are effective require a doctor's prescription and supervision to use, and they have side effects, some of which can be serious. Generally you have to be so obese that the risk of the medication is outweighed by the risk of being obese.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Some pills give me the shakes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    jodieaj wrote: »
    Thankyou for people who are being nice, i not long had a little girl and have never had to diet or excersie in my life before she come along nd people have been telling me differne things.. Sorry for asking.

Lots of people recommend quick fixes, usually because they're selling them (or a friend or family member is). They are really common because people don't build sustainable habits with them. Plus, everything sold usually is accompanied by the phrase "when added to a healthy diet and exercise". Guess what, it's the healthy diet and exercise that actually works.

Knowing what to do for weight loss is easy - eat less, move more. Implementing that and making the necessary lifestyle adjustments can be difficult for people, which is why they're always looking for the quick fixes. It's understandable, we all go through that phase, but hopefully we can save you some money by letting you know they don't work.

Someone recommended the sexypants thread. It's clear, concise, and full of lots of good information. If you're just starting out and lost in a sea of too much information, that is a great place to start!