"Eating better" on the run w/gluten intolerance

Options
I have a friend who has chronic fatigue syndrome and gluten intolerance. She is constantly on the run, taking care of a shut-in mother, taking care of her horse, and running errands as well as everyday household tasks. She tries to get three meals a day and a snack at night, but she's concerned that she's not eating well enough for all that she tries to do. There are many times she feels tired and light-headed, especially at the end of the day.

MFP says that she should be eating 1800 calories (5' 8", 140 pounds, slightly active, maintenance). She is going to track her food for the next couple of days to make certain she's getting the 1800 calories. I've reminded her to eat back her exercise calories. What she needs to do now, however, is to figure out the best way to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions for her? She thinks she'd like to increase her protein intake and maybe some fats, but she needs some suggestions of how to do that with a gluten and soy sensitivity. She also has tremors of unknown origin--she calls them "earthquakes," since that's what she feels like she's dealing with. She's working with her doctors to figure those out, but she knows they take a lot out of her, both physically and mentally. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure those into her caloric needs, if they need to be figured in at all?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Jerky, nuts, greek yogurt, fruit, veggies with hummus
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Re the CF syndrome: She needs to find ways to get more rest and more sleep.
    The "earthquakes" could be related to inner ear or something neurological. For now I see no reason to consider those with effect on calories. For protein, dark leafy greens, almonds, walnuts, salmon, sardines, tuna, cheese, steak, pumpkin seeds.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    She needs to keep easy to pack gluten free things on hand. Luna bars are gluten free. String cheese is easy to throw in your bag. Simple 7 quinoa chips. Fruit.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    She needs to keep easy to pack gluten free things on hand. Luna bars are gluten free. String cheese is easy to throw in your bag. Simple 7 quinoa chips. Fruit.

Thanks, I didn't know that about Luna bars. I've suggested hard-boiled eggs, too, and she really likes the jerky and Greek yogurt suggestions. She has a hard time with chickpeas, though, so hummus is out. :(
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Re the CF syndrome: She needs to find ways to get more rest and more sleep.
    The "earthquakes" could be related to inner ear or something neurological. For now I see no reason to consider those with effect on calories. For protein, dark leafy greens, almonds, walnuts, salmon, sardines, tuna, cheese, steak, pumpkin seeds.

Apparently, they are connected with hormones somehow, but she does have some ear problems--good thought there. She sleeps irregularly and has tried moving her bedtime to be a bit earlier. I'll pass on the food suggestions--I never would have thought about pumpkin seeds!
  • Cindure
    Cindure Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are really good and gluten free. Great with a piece of fruit while on the run.
  • Cindure
    Cindure Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are lots of gluten free jerky recipes too if she wants to make her own.