Skipping rope and good light dumbbell exercises for women

Hi does anyone else here skip rope? I'm trying to figure out best practice. When I wear sneakers my feet hurt after a few minutes, so I've been skipping without shoes on a yoga mat instead. I skip for about 20 minutes at a time and have been warned that it can be jarring on the body.

And a second question is what's your fave dumbbell (2kg) exercises for women? I'm finding a few online to try out now and wondering what other people do.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    I bet your purse weighs more than the dumbbell.
    you aren't really going to get much results with a dumbbell that light.
    I suggest investing in heavier ones (adjustable if space is an issue) or a gym
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I think that @yopeeps025 is a jump roping fan.

A 4 or 5 lb dumbbell doesn't go far. Maybe YTLW for shoulders. I need heavier weights for anything else.
  • endofnext
    endofnext Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks ladies, I can definitely start with 5kg instead! Weights are this weeks' purchase.

Also I'm looking around online and I skip rope in running shoes, so I might have to switch to cross trainers for flexibility in the foot. Pfft.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Ignore the ads & store & supplements here, just use the information to learn various weightlifting exercises:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/

And I agree that a 4 lb weight isn't going to get you very far. Might start with that for deltoids & forearms.
    You could use canned goods and sacks of flour or sugar for cheap weights. Put them in a plastic grocery bag
    (or several layers of bags for the heavier things) if you have trouble holding them.

I do my upper body with free weights - deltoid (front, middle, rear), bicep, tricep, trapezius, chest.
    For torso (front, back, & obliques) & inner/outer thighs I use machines.
    The rest of my leg & butt muscles I work through cardio - jogging or climbing hills on the treadmill, riding my
    bicycle, climbing stairs.

And BTW, you have pretty much the same muscles that a man does, so there aren't really exercises for women &
    exercises for men.
    Also, you're not going to bulk up by doing exercises which effectively stress your body. It's hard for women to
    gain muscle (you can do it, but it takes lots of work). So use the heavier weights. Get stronger. Look hot. :smiley:
  • endofnext
    endofnext Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks @MKegal!