Eating back calories..

Options
2»

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    MFP will not suggest less than 1200 calories per day for women and 1500 per day for men as suggested by the national institute for health. It will prompt you if you don't make that calorie goal. It shouldn't prompt you if you meet that goal and burn extra with exercise. For example, I've eaten about 1800 calories and burned off about 1000 hiking for a few hours. Since I still ate over 1500 it didn't prompt me, even though my net calories were only 800.

That said, MFP gets strange bugs every time it's updated, so if you ate more than the cutoff and it prompts you, then it's probably a bug.

Yes I ate over 1200 calories

How many calories did you net?

My goal is 1,430 calories I ate 1,303 & had 398 calories burned from exercising. I was under 1000 after my burned calories so that might be why it didn't complete. But I was wondering if I should eat some back if I'm eating "too less" calories.

Your MFP goal is 1430 NET calories ... not total.

607 net calories it shows on my chart for today

Then, yes, you need to eat more, until your NET shows at least 1200.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back about 75% of my exercise calories, since the goal calories for weight loss already put you at a deficit for the day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    MapMyRide calculated my 37 mile ride with 2200 feet of climbing at over 1000 calories more than Strava did.

I rode 16.02 miles today and MapMyRide gave me 1182 calories for that.

I don't know how to compare it with Strava. I just just know I feel good and my scale says I'm losing weight. That's what matters to me.

If you are in fact 2,000 calories per day below your MFP goal, that is an additional projected four pounds per week loss on top of whatever you told MFP ... highly unlikely to achieve and resulting from losing lean body mass rather than fat if you do it.