The Depressing Part of Weight Loss

Options
PokeyBug
PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
I joined MFP, because I cannot do it on my own. So, I reached out to a few people, got a smallish support team together, and we've cheered each other on. Sometimes, the accountability factor was the only thing keeping me in the game. I am such a prideful person that I couldn't stand the thought of someone thinking I couldn't stick with my plan.

Now that I'm here, though, I'm down to very, very few people on my friends list. We're still cheering each other on, still working hard, but a couple of really great people whom I've gotten to know have just vanished. And I know that life happens, and sometimes, we need to put one goal on hold while we handle something important, etc., etc. But, dang! I'm just bummed out by it.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    While it's great to have support, realize that it's not always going to be there. The best supporter in your weight loss journey is YOU.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Ha I totally know how you feel! I have had a lot drop off no reason not explanation but when I go to my friends list a lot have not been active for a long, long time. Just stay on top off it and when you feel you need more people add them... I know what you mean about support I have been a victim of lost support but I have also been guilty of being a non-supporter depending on what is going on in my life and how much time I have. Feel free to add me though I love to motivate others because it in turn motivates me.. You can do this! We are here! We are here!
  • MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I totally agree with @ninerbuff and had to realise this for myself during my journey.
    I am the complete opposite of you, i am doing everything alone and not having a support squad but I also understand people getting alot out of it.

Hopefully you'll get out of this slump and get new motivators along the way :-) i cheer for you! And don't forget to celebrate your progress from time to time :-)

Have a good one!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people come and go. Weight loss is hard, not everybody is ready when they join. I was here for a year and quit twice, before I really saw any success.
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    More support if you just communicate on the forums or join teams. When you friend people that seems to be the risk, I had a friend recently added who seemed to need s lot of email advice I was tryin to keep up with het needs. But one day she just decided to leave mfp, because of another site. She told me but I thought wow easy friend, easy unfriend. Focus on you ☺
  • fox_emm
    fox_emm Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Honestly I was on here a long time ago and LOVED it, but then left because I got to be a bit unhealthy in terms of how focused I got on calorie and nutrient tracking. When I was looking good but FEELING miserable, I took a step back from MFP. Honestly I'm not sure what my old username was, so when I pulled the app back up I just signed up with Facebook - it seemed easier that way. I would hope if someone's part of a tight-knit community that wouldn't happen, but sometimes life just happens. I would try not to hold it against them, and make new friends!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who's fallen off the wagon more often than a broken wheel... When I do fall, I tend to ignore all my fitness apps and weight charts etc, I just don't want to know.
    Weight loss is a struggle, so I wouldn't take it personally.
    Well done for sticking with it though!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    While it's great to have support, realize that it's not always going to be there. The best supporter in your weight loss journey is YOU.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You're a blessing...I LOVE reading your comments! B)

• CoffeeSlayer
    CoffeeSlayer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Looking for outside sources of motivation be it inspirational quotes, other people or physical things may not be enough to sustain weight loss efforts for the long haul. I have been at this almost a year and have lost 63 lbs. You have to dig down deep and find the motivation from within.
  • TXRedDirt
    TXRedDirt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is my second go at MFP. First round I got down 38 lbs and had lots of friends. I stopped and gained it all back. This time around I'm at 63 lbs lost and have zero friends. The difference to me is I was logging for the friends and not myself the first time. I wouldn't be as honest because I was afraid of the backlash. This time around I'm logging for me and I'm more honest and know if I don't stay on track I'm only disappointing myself. For me being only accountable to myself has been my biggest motivator.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It isn't just the part of the weight loss. If you think about it in your life you have had friends come and go. There are people who step into your life at the right time and step out when life changes. Your core group are the ones you can count on forever, but some people in our lives are just temporary.

What is most important is that you have support, you have friends and you feel better about you. Missing someone is OK, but life is not that simple.

You will find the important people will make the effort to stay in your life.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I made a few friends when I first joined and we would even message each other every week or so just for encouragement, but they have both kind of dropped off the face of the earth (or the site of MFP). Maybe they will come back and if they do, I'm still here.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel too. I feel sad when I see people I started my journey with no longer checking in.

I've been on the other side of the coin too, however, so I understand.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!