Total Newb to trying to build muscle.

I am pretty much at my goal weight, and really don't want to get too thin. The main thing I want to do is to get toned and build a little muscle. I keep reading conflicting information online about how to do this, such as if I eat at a deficit I won't be able to build any muscle. I workout consistently and have recently started doing more strength training and way less cardio. Should I eat more calories or stay in my deficit of 1400? I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

Replies

• joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    If you are at your weight goal then up the calories slowly and get out of deficit. Lift the weights, eat those macros, and you will be on your way. There are a lot of programs floating around that will help you decide what weights, how much, and how often....but just gotta put in that work one way or another.

The cardio, in my opinion, is not something you should get rid of because there are values other than weight loss but you will have to eat more if you are doing cardio AND weights to keep from losing weight.
  • Stacyandsilas
    Stacyandsilas Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you so much!!!
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    If you are at your weight goal then up the calories slowly and get out of deficit. Lift the weights, eat those macros, and you will be on your way. There are a lot of programs floating around that will help you decide what weights, how much, and how often....but just gotta put in that work one way or another.

The cardio, in my opinion, is not something you should get rid of because there are values other than weight loss but you will have to eat more if you are doing cardio AND weights to keep from losing weight.

^^This....and you WILL want to eat.