Dinner: In a rut

Options
shrinkingletters
shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am getting a little bored on the dinner front. I can eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is where I try to have fun, since I love cooking.

However, since I've been logging, I've been a little more careful with my meals. I'm getting stuck! I basically rotate the same few dishes:

Turkey burgers w/ veggie side
Turkey Meatballs with wheat pasta and light sauce
Baked fish or chicken with some w sort of veg on the side....it's all starting to look the same.

Anyone else in a rut? What do you do? I like higher protein and lower fat meals, I just don't know how to mix it up.

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    Beef, Pork, Chicken Tacos, Spaghetti with whole wheat pasta, Salads with all sorts of things, Chili. Check out this website: http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What did you used to eat? Eat all of those things and reduce portion sizes of higher calorie items. Make the dishes lower fat if you like. Add more lower calorie vegetables to your meals.

budgetbytes.com/

Try eggs, beans, lentils, soups.

Here is my list of planned dinners for this month.
    myfitnesspal.com/blog/Lounmoun/view/28-dinners-for-may-743698
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    How about a good old fashioned Taco Salad? Taco meat made with ground turkey or whatever you like, lettuce, tomatoes, a little cheese if you can afford the calories, a little sour cream if you can afford the calories and tons of pico or other salsa...it's a good standby.

Sometimes I will make a super veggie heavy and chunky spaghetti type sauce and put it on pasta or bread...

I think you could do a stuffed sweet potato and it could be delicious, maybe with some meatballs, mushrooms, something like that. Yup, that sounds good think it will be my plan tonight!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I get a little crazy with the spices, or switch it up from eating plain chicken to chicken maranara. If you like meatballs, I use sriracha when I make them and occasionally a little bacon which really zips them up (Thanks Epic Meal Time), either with burger or once with deer and they're tasty and the sriracha doesn't add many calories. Make tacos as 77tes suggested or taco salad with either your ground meat or whole meats, shoot just go browsing on the googles to find a bunch of recipes, adapt the parts you like (like the meatballs I make, the original recipe is deep fried, so I skip that part).
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com so many recipes. One caveat- I often add more spices/herbs/seasoning than what the recipe calls for. But for ideas, inspiration and recipes I wouldn't think of.. it is the bomb. My favs- chicken ropa, chicken santa fe, sweet barbacoa pork, banging good shrimp, pollo sabrosa, asian glazed drumsticks. She has a cookbook out as well.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for dinner - eggs with veggies or protein pancakes with fruit
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I recently downloaded the Yummly app..... Good recipes and a lovely"share" button to directly upload the recipe to MFP. You can search by food like chicken, fish, apples... Or things like low carb, gluten free. I also get a lot of recipes off Pinterest, skinnytaste, inspiralized. Lots of options out there to shake things up :)