Heart rate monitors

Options
I'm confused - do you wear it only when you work out or all the time? Really trying to loose and I hear a lot of people talking about them but I just don't get it...

Replies

• KaylaMack0215
    KaylaMack0215 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I use to only when I work out. It tells me how many calories I have burned and if my heart rate is in the "fat-burning zone". It's a great tool for weight loss success! I would get one... but wouldn't wear it all the time.
  • MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!! Yes because all of this is just speculation based on people's stored info on the internet...
  • keets502
    keets502 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 - only wear it when I work out or go on a hike/walk.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other post. I use Sportline Cardio 660 (similar to polar fit, but not as popular or nice haha) and it allows you to adjust your height, weight, and sex. I only wear it during a work out because it is most accurate in that "fat burning zone". Also, if you leave it on too long, you are not allowing your skin to breathe, and that sweaty monitor can cause chafing!

They are wonderful though. It made me more confident to eat back exercise calories. I learned that I was overestimating Zumba calories and underestimating walks and jogs

Hope this was helpful :)
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and my hubby has an FT7 personally i don't see much difference in them yet his was slightly more expensive.

I'm on quite a low calories diet so i wanted to know how many calories i burnt in exercise so i knew what to eat back, i didn't want to be eating too little or too many either, several watches we looked at didn't acually tell you the calories burnt just heart rate and then you put it in a website. This is so much easier it comes up in a nice big display.

I would def recomend one and i only wear mine during exercise.
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use the Bodymedia Arm band
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    where can u buy them and how much do they roughly cost?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm confused - do you wear it only when you work out or all the time? Really trying to loose and I hear a lot of people talking about them but I just don't get it...

You might be thinking of a FitBit or BodyMedia device ..... these you wear all the time & they calculate your calorie burn for the day. I've read (no actual experience) that FitBits and BodyMedia type devices are not terribly accurate for exercise .... just everyday stuff.

HRMs are great for cardio .... I do have one of these. It was nice to see (well it's a double edge sword of sorts) ... when my fitness level increased (yeah!) .... my calorie burns dropped. You wouldn't see this "progress" without a heart rate monitor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    where can u buy them and how much do they roughly cost?

HRMs on Amazon .... my Polar FT4 (with a chest strap .... you want a chest strap) is $60 ish plus shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370983627&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+ft4
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar ft4 on amazon for $60 and love it. To the OP I wouldn't recommend wearing it longer than your workout as it will be less accurate and probably uncomfortable after a long period of time.

The MFP estimates for exercises are all way off as it will vary person to person and how hard you're going at an exercise. If you're eating back cals you could be WAY off using the MFP estimates.
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    MIne came from amazon aswell.If your in the uk i noticed mine was in the argos book but nearly £15 more than what i paid!
  • erinelizabeth389
    Options
    Wear it only when you work out! I have the PolarFt40 and I got it at lukes locker. It was around 200, but sooooo worth it!!! It really has made me want to work out more because you know exactly how many calories you are burning. I used to use the nike app for my runs and it would always tell me how many calories i burned, but I was burning way more i realized once I had the watch! Same with the treadmill!
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i just looked this up on amazon and i dont understand how you wear this around your chest. Would someone mind posting a pic so i can check this out? thanks so much!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    i just looked this up on amazon and i dont understand how you wear this around your chest. Would someone mind posting a pic so i can check this out? thanks so much!!

The watch part goes around your wrist. Then there's a soft strap with a sensor that goes around your body - for females it is tucked up right under your bra strap area.
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You wear the strap right beneath your boobs. I have a polar FT4 that I got on Amazon and only wear it for exercise. It gets uncomfortable after awhile.
  • whyhelloheart
    whyhelloheart Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT7. It should get here for Friday and I am so PSYCHED to use it!

Silly question, but should the chest strap go UNDER the bra or above the bra so that the monitor is in the middle of my chest?

...and as soon as I posted, someone already answered my question above! :D
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I love it! I only wear it when I go running or do other work outs. The ones that you wear all day are like the Body Media thing or Fit Bit, those track everything you do all day.
  • lizzyepp
    lizzyepp Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm glad i found this thread.
    I'm looking for a HR monitor/watch that i can also use for weight training. Something with a countdown feature.
    example: I'd love to set a timer for a minute plank, then after a minute it beeps.
    I also would like one that doesn't need a chest strap.

Know of any options?
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Only when working out. Polar is the best in my opinion and the FT4 is a great one to start with. There are other things out there that you can use to track full days activities like the Fitbit, etc, but to be honest they are not that accurate, especially when workouts are taking into account. Your most accurate is a true HRM where you have to wear a chest strap and where it while you work out. Good luck!
  • steph268
    steph268 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just ordered an Polar Ft4 after I did a search here on MFP. It seems like it's a perfect one to start with, and totally affordable. It will be here Thursday. I'm so looking forward to my workout Thursday!