counting calories while breast feeding? help

Hey anyone ever count calories n try to lose weight while breastfeeding? I Def need some help... they say breastfeeding helps lose weight but I lost the first month or 2 bit gained it all back now my baby is 7 months. I'm always hungry and do not know the right amount of calorie goal for my self and for my lactation.... Def need to lose weight n Def need help in this area... T.I.A. :s

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    You can book breastfeeding as a -300 calorie food item from the database.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Hey anyone ever count calories n try to lose weight while breastfeeding? I Def need some help... they say breastfeeding helps lose weight but I lost the first month or 2 bit gained it all back now my baby is 7 months. I'm always hungry and do not know the right amount of calorie goal for my self and for my lactation.... Def need to lose weight n Def need help in this area... T.I.A. :s

Breastfeeding burns about 300-500 calories, dependign on baby's age, assuming you are breastfeeding on demand and not supplementing with formula. In order to lose weight, you should not be eating these calories back. Eating at maintenance, without accounting for breastfeeding, would be enough to both make sure you are at a good deficit for weight loss, and to not affect your health or supply. So, whatever calories you needed to maintain your prepregnancy weight, this is what you should be eating now.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member