kids - time and convenient lunches

When pressed for time during the week, do you send your kids out the door with store made convenient items such as 'Lunchables', 'bear paws', 'fruit roll-ups' etc.,

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    No, I pack lunch the night before since mornings are so hectic.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    I never send my kids out the door. We homeschool and for lunch they help make there healthy food.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    I had to make my own lunch for school. 2 slices of bread, a slice of cheese -> Boom, lunch B)
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    I make my own lunchables so to say. I hate processed cheese and prepackaged lunch meats gross me out. I only have one I have to pack (my older boys eat in school) and she is in preschool so she only goes 3x per week. I will make her almond butter and jelly sandwich pockets. I bought a pocket maker on Amazon. So I will make usually 3-4 at a time and freeze what I don't use so it is convenient the next few times. I use lunchblox containers so it's like an assembly line: pockets or homemade lunchable, pirates booty, fruit and a little sweet treat like fig newtons or graham crackers.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    everyone gets free lunch at my sons school- he usually eats there.

when he takes lunch its lunchable or the uncrustables, and fruit or baby carrot packs, juice or water and a treat.

my teens are on their own.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    As a rule, lunch is dinner leftovers. I usually cook enough for at least two meals, so it does not add require extra time for preparation.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    never ever. those things are disgusting and filled with i don't even know what or how to pronounce the ingredients.

lunch is always left overs from dinner. my daughter prefers hot lunches anyway so it gets heated up, placed in her thermos that keeps things warm for up to 5hrs.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    I never send my kids out the door. We homeschool and for lunch they help make there healthy food.

*Their. I do hope your teaching your children correct grammar.

I have no children but my sister (10 years old) always has her lunch made in the mornings. She never has Lunchables or anything like that - such a waste of money for very little nutritional content. And they taste pretty bad.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    When pressed for time during the week, do you send your kids out the door with store made convenient items such as 'Lunchables', 'bear paws', 'fruit roll-ups' etc.,

lunchables are reserved for field trips and then when new braces go in (only thing my two kids ate for a week, after getting their quads in sigh...). Otherwise I'm too cheap to buy that kind of stuff-some lunchables are over $3 sheesh.

I have two kids that go to school (and one that does her school at home). Typical packed lunches are-pb sandwiches, cold, toasted waffles, cold, toasted bagels, cold pancakes, leftovers (cold pizza etc), ham on buns. Paired with one piece of fruit or homemade applesauce, yogurt or pretzels, and then a sweet snack like graham crackers, homemade cookies etc. My kids are old enough to pack their own lunches and this is the pattern they follow most days :)
  • owlheartt
    owlheartt Posts: 19 Member

I have no children but my sister (10 years old) always has her lunch made in the mornings. She never has Lunchables or anything like that - such a waste of money for very little nutritional content. And they taste pretty bad.

Wouldn't the correct word be "you're"?

My kid is not yet in school but I plan on making meals the night before to ensure less chaos in the mornings. For work I always make meals on Sunday then freeze or refrigerate as necessary.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I get up earlier so I have time to pack them lunch. It's one of my least favorite chores though because I just never know what to pack them. Those great healthy Pinterest lunches? They wouldn't touch them. Hot food? Nope. When I make them sandwiches, they don't eat them... so I make them eat them when they get home, but when it's hot out, I just don't trust the lunchbox to keep it cool enough all day (plus now my daughter broke her good one so I have to make do with those $10 lunchboxes from Target)... So basically if I want to make sure that they're going to eat their lunch, it has to be pizza bagels/muffins, chicken nuggets, hotdogs etc.

I HATE PACKING LUNCHES.

I did buy lunchables a couple times though, when I found the big ones with a drink at $1.5, because at least I know that this way they will actually eat lunch and it's a good deal AND I don't have to stress out about it.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    owlheartt wrote: »

My kid is not yet in school but I plan on making meals the night before to ensure less chaos in the mornings. For work I always make meals on Sunday then freeze or refrigerate as necessary.

ha, I caught that too :p
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Occasionally my son will ask for a Lunchables when we're grocery shopping, but it's not something I buy on the regular. Typical lunch is a sandwich, fruit, crackers (like Cheese Nips or something), and a couple of cookies for a sweet treat. Oh, and they have "morning snack" at his school, so I throw a granola bar or something in there, too. Today's AM snack was a Fiber One cinnamon coffee cake. He loves those. LOL
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I was making my own lunches in elementary school, the morning of. Peanut butter roll up (PB on a tortilla) with sunflower seeds, an apple, usually gushers and a frozen juice box.

Now a days, similar food, no fruit snacks or juice boxes though. A lot of things like carrots, grapes, or crackers can be divided into baggies well ahead of time. Then all you need to do is make a sandwich and throw whatever other baggies into the lunch box.

I don't like sunflower seeds any more, but flax seeds are good. Yeah I know it sounds weird in the first place.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Lunch is the same everyday in our house: pb&j, fruit (usually cantaloupe and/or grapes), drink, and a dessert like a small bag of cookies. She also takes a nutrigrain bar for her snack, because she has kids with nut allergies in her class and finding something that can be eaten quickly and is nut-free left me with….nutrigrain bars.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    No. My kids learned to pack their own lunches by age 6. I prepped things in the fridge, carrot sticks, cheese sticks, had applesauce cups, juice boxes, and treats were packs of graham bears. They grabbed what they wanted.

Sunday morning is great for food prep time, make muffins, and egg muffin cups, which make great quick breakfasts and lunches.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    owlheartt wrote: »

Indeed. And that's why I study Chemistry and don't intend to teach children. :p I'm not good at it. Also, English is not my first language (Welsh is) so I do struggle on occasion.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    bcruz313 wrote: »
    I make my own lunchables so to say.
    I do the same thing for my son. One of the kids at school had a lunchable and my son wanted one too so I caved and bought one. He wound up hating it... LOL! So I now take cheese, black olives, strawberries, crackers, couple cookies and make my own. So far so good...
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    I always pack something for my daughter. I don't buy lunchables because they cost too much for what they are.

I send a lot of leftovers. When I grill chicken for dinner I always do extra cut up like grilled nuggets for lunches. Last night we went out for pizza with my family. Today she has leftover pepperoni rolls in her lunch. If we have rice or Mac and cheese she usually gets that in her lunch the next day. I fill the lunch out with fruit, yogurt, crackers, cheese, chips, whatever we have.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    likehlikeo wrote: »
    I had to make my own lunch for school. 2 slices of bread, a slice of cheese -> Boom, lunch B)
    That's what I made my kids do. They never liked what I put together so I made sure to have things they could assemble themselves. My daughter often took a thermos of soup and some crackers.