MFP Log or Fitbit Log

Options
erojoy
erojoy Posts: 554 Member
I have read a lot of threads of users stating not to log their exercises into MFP or Fitbit counts them twice. However, the FAQ states that:
Logging Exercise
You will no longer need to manually enter step-based exercises on MyFitnessPal that the Fitbit excels at tracking: for example, walking, jogging, and hiking. However, for exercises that the Fitbit cannot track, such as swimming or rowing, you will need to manually log those activities in your MyFitnessPal diary.

Once you integrate with Fitbit, manually logged exercises on MyFitnessPal will request the start time of the exercise. Please make sure to record the correct time for those exercises so Fitbit can properly account for them.

So does that mean if I do log an exercise into MFP, and I put the start time as stated above, that MFP and Fitbit work together to log this exercise and not count the fitbit calories burned during that time frame?

Clarification needed if you have it. Thank you!

Replies

• MommyMichelle1234
    MommyMichelle1234 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use map my fitness for workouts.
    I have fitbit synced to mfp for step count.
    I have map my synced to mfp for all workouts except walking.

Fitbit will adjust calories burned for the time an activity is logged on map my. As long as you start and stop a workout (not sure how it works to log a workout after the fact unless you can input actual time not just total minutes).

All apps work together as long as you do not link map my directly to fitbit.
  • erojoy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok, I see what you are saying, but I'm not sure that explains what i'm referring to in the FAQ. It states that:: Once you integrate with Fitbit, manually logged exercises on MyFitnessPal will request the start time of the exercise. Please make sure to record the correct time for those exercises so Fitbit can properly account for them.

So I'm guessing once you enter the start times in, the system updates the fitbit site as well. That's more my question.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    @erojoy - watch this (it should answer your question):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8duevx9y9TY&feature=youtu.be
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

No need to log step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) can be logged either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple - all exercise is tracked in FitBit (steps that are automatic, and logged exercises which require start time/duration) and all food/water is tracked in MFP.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes, you are correct. Once you enter an exercise into MFP, it syncs it over to Fitbit. That does two things for you. First, you can use the fitbit dashboard to analyze your heart rate so you can better focus your exercise. Second, it takes away the "Fitbit calorie adjustment" for that time period since you are already getting the calories credited for the exercise time. This is why you need to give it an exact start time and duration. If you're off by 5 or 10 minutes then it might take away credit for walking up the stairs to the gym.

You can also use the fitbit workout tracker function. It will track your exercise and then sync it over to MFP. It just doesn't work well for things like cycling or strength training. But it would still give you an exact start time and duration and you could manually adjust things later.

• erojoy
    Options
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sync it use MFP it will automatically shows in Fitbit