1200 cal diet

I'm just wondering if I have my calories set to 1200 and I walk around 500-600 off a day should i eat 1700-1800 calories or just stick with the 1200? I'm feeling female 148lb and 4ft 11. Thank you.

Replies

• jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    You should eat some calories back. Being in too big of a deficit is not good for your body, as your body requires a specific amount of nutrients each day to function properly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    you should eat half of the exercise calories back because most calorie estimate burns are off. So in your example you would burn 600 eat back half = 300 so you would eat 1500 - 300 burned = 1200 net.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I would account for your activity level in some way, either eating some of them back or up your activity modifier. I would, however, be cautious about eating 500-700 calories back. That is a lot of walking. How far do you walk? Or is this part of your job?
  • NatWilBSkinny0
    NatWilBSkinny0 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks. no I was 5.5 miles a day taking my children to school
    [/quote]

• Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    I am a 5ft woman weighing in at about 160 and I use my extra calories as backup. I try to stay in around 1200 calories a day but if I go over it shouldn't be a big deal because I am active. However, I also know that since I do not weigh my food and my exercise calories are probably not 100% accurate that this method is best for me. Nothing is 100% so it is best to use your judgment. If your hungry and you did exert energy for the day then why not eat? If you are not hungry why force it in. That is what made me fat in the first place is eating when I didn't need to.