Do you have what it takes?

We all know actions speak louder than words. This is has been especially true with getting in shape and eating healthy. So many people talk about wanting to do it and even act like they want to do it.

The real test of how bad you want to succeed is commitment. So many people fall off or never start because they were never really committed to their success in the first place.

Could you imagine how many more people would succeed if they actually took their commitment seriously and followed through?

So all this diet and exercise really comes down to one thing....commitment. Its not how many times you cheat, not how well you do your reps, not if you skip a workout. Believe it or not some of the very committed people do these things. The difference is when it happens that they don't give up. Come Monday they are back at it again trying to do the best they can. Commit to yourself and don't give up just because you had one cheeseburger.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Commitment isn't something you can just turn on at will.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I've lost 78 pounds, so yes - I do have what it takes.

And while I agree that commitment is a really integral part of success, the want is the most important part. Lots of people know they need to lose weight, but they just aren't ready yet. You have to want it badly enough to commit.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Yep, maintaining an almost 60lb loss :)
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    So far so good... 5 lb loss since being here and 5 lb loss before coming here.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Probably not, but it's all habit now and I'm too lazy to change.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

snort!
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    cbangma wrote: »
    don't give up just because you had one cheeseburger.

What's wrong with having a cheeseburger?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member

I do think it becomes a habit and just part of your life after awhile.
    I log every day and exercise. It is as much commitment as brushing my teeth.
    The real test of how bad you want to succeed is commitment. So many people fall off or never start because they were never really committed to their success in the first place.

I think a lot of people fall off because they set unrealistic goals for them, want fast results and expect perfection from day 1.
    You haven't exercised regularly in a long time. Start with short, beginner workouts instead of trying to spend hours every day working intensely and hurting yourself.
    Start with a reasonable calorie goal instead of a super low, fast, unhealthy goal. Start with logging consistently/accurately instead of cutting lots of foods from your diet.
    Know that it will take time... don't expect to lose all your weight in 1-2 months if you are more than 10 pounds overweight. Know that it is normal and okay if the scale number doesn't go down every time you look at it. Learn to look at long term trends.
    Don't try to look like or compare yourself to someone else... particularly an airbrushed model.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,464 Member
    Mid-Feb, I turned on the commitment. I'm on a mission to lose as much weight as I can on a net 1250 cal/day diet by mid-June. I have absolutely no desire to call a stop to the mission before that ... after all I'm now 3 months of the way through the 4. Almost there.

This particular commitment means that I can eat anything I want ... as long as it fits within the net 1250 cal/day. So if I want something special ... I exercise for it. That makes it relatively easy.

11 weeks ... 11 kg lost.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,464 Member

Absolutely nothing ... as long as it fits within your calorie limit.

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    We all know actions speak louder than words. This is has been especially true with getting in shape and eating healthy. So many people talk about wanting to do it and even act like they want to do it.

Could you imagine how many more people would succeed if they actually took their commitment seriously and followed through?

So all this diet and exercise really comes down to one thing....commitment. Its not how many times you cheat, not how well you do your reps, not if you skip a workout. Believe it or not some of the very committed people do these things. The difference is when it happens that they don't give up. Come Monday they are back at it again trying to do the best they can. Commit to yourself and don't give up just because you had one cheeseburger.

Interesting first post.... Now come back here and repost this when you hit 500 days logging in...
  • zyxst

Nothing, it's that a lot of people put certain types of foods on "Naughty" or "Bad" lists and if/when they eat off those lists, they just go eff it and stop trying. That's how I read OP.
  • zyxst
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

snort!
    Somebody got it!
    kg73n4m57wyl.gif

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member

Agreed. It took me three attempts to quit smoking and I finally had the commitment to quit and now I'm smoke free for 4 months and I have absolutely no intention of going back. I now need to find it again for weight loss, but until that time comes I will continue to log and learn
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Interesting first post.... Now come back here and repost this when you hit 500 days logging in...

really you think that shows commitment.

I have 50 days this time because I went south (no internet for a week) and before that I was at the cottage (no internet) before that it was south again, before that it was camping.

The number of days you log into this site has nothing to do with it...esp if you miss two weeks and you can get the mods to "fix" it for you. So perhaps that should say "now come back here and repost this when you have lost your weight and maintained for a year."

To do this it starts with commitment and will power and a desire to lose weight.

For some it moves to a new lifestyle of health and fitness and weight loss becomes secondary
    For some it's lose weight as fast as possible stop logging come back because they couldn't maintain
    For some it's I am here and I want it...sort of...

There are many variations of the above as well...for me

It's the first one...I wanted to lose weight now I am down 50+ moving towards another 10 but it's about health and fitness.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I doubt I'll last 500 days. Once I reach my goal weight, my motivation for visiting the site will probably diminish.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    i've lost 18lb so far and feel 100% committed. I am going through a break-up and dont have any desire to binge or wreck my diet. i am doing this because its what i want and that feels good.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Yes, yes it is

Snigger

.motivation becomes willpower, willpower becomes commitment which then becomes sheer laziness
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,914 Member
    Disagree. The degree of commitment will vary from person to person though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,914 Member
    I've lost 78 pounds, so yes - I do have what it takes.

And while I agree that commitment is a really integral part of success, the want is the most important part. Lots of people know they need to lose weight, but they just aren't ready yet. You have to want it badly enough to commit.
    I don't think want and commitment are mutually exclusive though. There are lots of people who want to lose weight, but won't commit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png