Liver damage and macros

Options
Faye_Anderson
Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Background: I am a 35 year old woman 172lbs (100lbs lost, 30lb? to go) lightly active (I walk places and sometimes do fitness programs on the Wii) My diary is open. 1630 cals per day, macros were set at 40c (163g) 35f (63g) 25p (102g) I don't know if it makes any difference but I am currently taking prednisone (steroids), omeprazole, azathioprine, adcal and zopiclone.

Recently I have been diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis, this is due to illnesses I suffered as a child coming back to haunt me. I was advised to speak to the hospital dietician and she has decided that I need to halve my protein intake to between 40-60g per day as this is the recommended level for most females. This goes against everything MFP has taught me and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice (especially with how to split my calories over the other macros.)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I guess the big question here (that I would ask your doctor/dietician) is was that recommendation made simply because that is all that is typically recommended or are they actually concerned that too much protein will have some sort of medical effects on you. I think in your case you should defnitely get professional advice over what the users of MFP will tell you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You have a liver condition. I would ignore the MFP dogma and focus on what's best for your liver. Get a second opinion if you disagree with the dietician. But focus on what's best for your liver.

You CAN lose weight eating lower protein. Lots and lots of people do. You don't need to eat tons of protein. In fact many eating patterns (such as eat to live) are lower in protein.

Good luck!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Go to a Registered Dietician for correct info on this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    So sorry to butt in or be rude (i have no advice here) but I have a similar condition and very similar meds.

Can I ask why low protein? It never occurred to me to ask my consultant about my diet as diagnosis is fairly new to me.
    (I might ask my gastro consult next week at clinic, now I think about it I should have asked about diet.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So sorry to butt in or be rude (i have no advice here) but I have a similar condition and very similar meds.

Can I ask why low protein? It never occurred to me to ask my consultant about my diet as diagnosis is fairly new to me.
    (I might ask my gastro consult next week at clinic, now I think about it I should have asked about diet.)

Ask your doctor about it. Tell them how you have your macros, especially if you're following the higher protein recommendations from users here.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002441.htm
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Get a second opinion from your doctor-- I agree totally.

• Faye_Anderson
    Options

She said there is only so much protein your body can process in one go and unless you are a body builder/ athlete eating high protein puts a strain on your liver and kidneys, because my liver is already damaged it is finding it harder to process the protein I am eating.

ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This advice came from a registered dietician. thanks
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I guess the big question here (that I would ask your doctor/dietician) is was that recommendation made simply because that is all that is typically recommended or are they actually concerned that too much protein will have some sort of medical effects on you. I think in your case you should defnitely get professional advice over what the users of MFP will tell you.

This. I'd definitely talk to your doctor/dietician, and be specific about your concerns.

As for how to divide up the former protein calories between carbs and fat, just experiment and see what feels best.