Is organic food really any better than conventional?

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    By locally grown, I mean small local farms. And yes, they're not all organic, but they're more likely to be.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I've read some articles that say that organic is not necessarily better nutritionally.

That being said, some organic fruits just taste better IMO. Have you ever had an organic banana? OMG. And I also agree with supporting local farms if at all possible.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    The label organic is just to make people feel good about buying food that's grown/raised naturally because they think all chemicals are poison to the earth.

I alluded to the Soil Association certification upthread. Much of the point of that certification system is to encourage systems based farming; smaller fields, field boundaries being uncultivated to allow a mix of flora and fauna, avoiding monocultures, crop rotation etc.

Much of that allows a smaller environmental impact.

Inevitably yields are lower, and produce needs to be used reasonably promptly. But then again I'm wary of salad that's still crisp three days after opening the bag.

The farming co-operative that I get fresh fruit and veg from is a national operation, so it's not minimal impact. They do have to move produce around the country to cater for demand.

Wouldn't disagree that for some the label is all that mitivates, rather than understanding their supply chain.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Going a bit off the rails here, but you guys don't think something that tastes better/is more flavorful is likely more "nutritious"?

Like a bland, out-of-season hothouse tomato that was picked over a week ago is just as nutrient filled as a freshly picked, in-season tomato?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I've read some articles that say that organic is not necessarily better nutritionally.

That being said, some organic fruits just taste better IMO. Have you ever had an organic banana? OMG. And I also agree with supporting local farms if at all possible.

I can get organic bananas for around .10 more a pound and have bought them a few times, but I didn't notice any difference in taste?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    10364212_1656693281223136_2932002839633563011_n.jpg?oh=2facef26c56e480d96b7174b2a012020&oe=55AD0A1A

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    haibu wrote: »
    Going a bit off the rails here, but you guys don't think something that tastes better/is more flavorful is likely more "nutritious"?

Surveys are mixed, but there is no compelling evidence that like for like it's more nutritious. Your observation about time in the supply chain ould apply to organic produce as much as conventional.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    haibu wrote: »

Surveys are mixed, but there is no compelling evidence that like for like it's more nutritious. Your observation about time in the supply chain ould apply to organic produce as much as conventional.

Yes this. Frozen is more nutritious than non frozen in the winter, but I still think the non frozen typically tastes better, at least what you can get at my grocery. Some veggies just taste better to me than others due to preference, but that's not because they are the best ones. I don't like citrus fruits nearly as much as stone fruits, but that means nothing about nutrition, etc. Some varieties of tomatoes or, say, strawberries happen to be tastier, but I suspect that doesn't mean they are better nutritionally, just that they have been bred more for flavor and less for transportability. To the extent the taste benefit of local is due to when and how recently it's picked, I think that does make it better for you too, often, but as Meandering said that isn't about organic vs. conventional at all--I don't see a taste benefit for that, all else held equal.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    organic is more sustainable. The pesticides used on crops is having a massive effect on the insect population even outside farming areas. Bumblebee numbers have crashed. This is having a massive effect on other wild flowers that are unable to be pollinated, and its having a huge effect on the bird population who eat these insects, and also means that slug and snail populations and are starting to get out of control because there arent enough birds to keep them down. The ramifications go on and on.

I dont know whether organic tastes better. I think sometimes it does, and sometimes I cant taste much difference. I believe the welfare standards for organically produced meat and dairy animals are a bit higher and more stringent, certainly in the UK anyway, and thats not an unimportant issue, even if it isnt perfect.
    I cant always afford to buy organic, but I think there is no doubt that it is preferable on many many levels to support organic farming where, and if you can.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    In theory, I like the idea of organic food.

In practice, I can't afford it.

I have never noticed a difference in flavor. Ever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I believe the welfare standards for organically produced meat and dairy animals are a bit higher and more stringent, certainly in the UK anyway, and thats not an unimportant issue, even if it isnt perfect.

I don't think organic helps much with this issue either. Knowing your farmer and their practices is what matters, which again can make local preferable, assuming you learn about the specific option. (Often good choices also happen to be organic, but you can't assume the reverse is true.) People think "organic" means more (or different things) than it really does.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    hard to say but i do go organic meat and certain produce. whether or not it makes a difference who really knows unless you farm it yourself!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Nutritionally, no. Taste, maybe. Supporting your local farming community, definitely.

This!

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SallyinIL wrote: »
    Depends how you define better.
    Good point. By "better" I'm meaning better for my health.

No doubt the organic tomato my husband grows in the back yard tastes worlds better than the conventional one I buy in the store.

Interesting thoughts. Thank you.

why would the tomato from the garden be better from the one in the store??? Please explain the difference...

You must not have ever had a home grown tomato! Nutrition wise...I don't know if there is a difference but as the other poster said...the taste is certainly different.

Here is one article that explains why...

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/state/newsdetail.cfm?NewsID=6816

To make a long story short...it is about when harvested. Commercially grown tomatoes are harvested while still green and then artificially ripened before shipping. Home grown ripens on the vine.

Also...the concern of the producer is more about disease and pests than they are taste.

• kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It tastes a lot better. Just seems like it's way better quality to me.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I do like to buy local produce when I can.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    glyphhen wrote: »
    ^^ This.

Don't buy organic because you think it will taste worlds better. Buy organic (or locally/sustainably grown) because it's better for the world.

Is it really?

People that are starving...don't really care if the food that they receive is organic.

At this stage of the game...organic is fine for those that live in a society where food is easily obtainable and can afford the higher prices that are associated with organic.

For others...

Even in the US where food is abundant...there are truly many people that just can not absorb the higher prices in their budgets.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I buy organic apples because I bought regular ones and just couldn't get over the weird aftertaste that the skin had (a bit more bitter I guess?).
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Purchasing organic food is mostly a hobby for rich people. I once went shopping and bought all organic items - my bill was over $100 more than my typical grocery bill, and I didn't even get as much as I typically got. It was then that I decided it was really not sustainable for me to try and go all organic.

Even buying at a local farmer's market - chances are many of them are NOT organic farmers (unless they say so on their stand) - they are local farmers though. I do support local when I can.