Ok to lose weight fast if it is due to intense exercise?

Options
I always hear that you can't lose weight too fast because it is not healthy. I agree with that and would not proceed that way. However, I enjoy working out and unlike many obese people am fortunately able to exercise at high intensities. My plan is to keep doing insanity and run 3 miles each day. So my question is, if I ate healthy and do not starve myself and work out like this, is it ok if I am losing weight fast (1.5-2 lb per day)? I am 6'4 and weigh 285lb.

Replies

• kMcMahan2010
    Options
    To truly lose between 1.5 pounds and 2 pounds per day, that would be a calorie deficit of 5250-7000 calories per day. I don't see how that could be healthy at all.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Running three miles a day just isn't good for your body. Your knees especially need rest days between runs.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The concern with losing weight too quickly is that your body can only break down so much fat in any given amount of time. When you're losing weight dramatically a lot of that is going to be water and muscle. Water weight isn't a problem, and if you're severely overweight then losing some muscle is going to be inevitable, but a lot of it depends on what you want your body to look like when you're done. If you want to have some muscle left at the end of your journey then a more moderate deficit might be for you.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If weight lifting isn't part of that intense exercise, then at that rate you are definitely going to lose muscle as well as fat.

At your weight, higher rates of weight loss are ok, but I'd still not go past 3lbs a week absolute maximum. You'll still need to lift and get adequate protein to avoid losing too much muscle, even at that rate.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Depends, do you want to lose mostly fat, or are you happy to lose lots of lean mass too? At your current weight, you can get away with a larger calorie deficit than someone who is leaner, but 2 lbs a day is a bit ridiculous, and it will definitely not be 2 lbs of pure fat. Your body just can't let go of fat that quickly.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Total side note... you're 6'4 and want to lose 136lbs, to get to under 150lbs? :ohwell:
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Surely you mean 1.5-2 lbs per WEEK lol. That is what my goal has been, though generally it averages out to just over 1 pound per week. THAT is fine and perfectly healthy. 2 lbs per day at your size is obviously not possible.

I run 4 miles, bike 6 miles, do an hour of weight lifting and 45 minutes of calisthenics each day (all varied) about 4 times per week so no, as long as you are getting your nutritional and caloric intake there is nothing wrong with 1.5-2 pounds per week. Just realize it won't always come off that quick.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that the lose is mass. To lose that kind of weight you would have to be at a very high caloric deficit and do some very high intensity training for hours on end.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1.5 to 2 pounds per day is huge. I doubt you'll be able to keep that up after an initial phase anyway. Have you just started this?

Also - what is your exit strategy as you get close to your goal weight? You'll need to eat at maintenance when you get there, so as you start getting closer, increase your calories towards that point. In fact, I'd say eat more now and aim for a slower loss, or when you do start eating again, you'll find yourself putting all those pounds back on. How much are you netting currently?
  • gopherfan53
    gopherfan53 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Total side note... you're 6'4 and want to lose 136lbs, to get to under 150lbs? :ohwell:

I was 316lb when I started and wanted to get to 180lb. I'd say now I'd be happy between 200-220lb. Just haven't updated my goals.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    and how much exercise have you been doing so far? for how long?
    apart from doubts about the feasibility of a 1-2lb loss a day, i'd expect you would injure yourself within a few weeks and then all the exercise goes out the window.
    slow steady increase of exercise volume/intensity, with a step back every 4 or so weeks, would be the way to go. which means, you need a bit more time than just getting the idea into your head...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I always hear that you can't lose weight too fast because it is not healthy. I agree with that and would not proceed that way. However, I enjoy working out and unlike many obese people am fortunately able to exercise at high intensities. My plan is to keep doing insanity and run 3 miles each day. So my question is, if I ate healthy and do not starve myself and work out like this, is it ok if I am losing weight fast (1.5-2 lb per day)? I am 6'4 and weigh 285lb.
    So you're losing 14lbs a week? If that's the case, then you aren't eating enough. Healthy weight loss is 1%-2% of your body weight a week which translates to 2.8 to 5.6lbs a week. Don't be shocked if you have a problem with maintenance weight if you continue losing that much a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, 5'5" 240 at the time. I was running 3 miles and doing insanity and losing 2-4 lbs per week which held steady for the entire program. That with a 1k deficit daily eating back my running calories I think. Didn't lose much muscle density. Insanity isn't exactly low slow cardio ;)
  • gopherfan53
    Options
    So you're losing 14lbs a week? If that's the case, then you aren't eating enough. Healthy weight loss is 1%-2% of your body weight a week which translates to 2.8 to 5.6lbs a week. Don't be shocked if you have a problem with maintenance weight if you continue losing that much a week.

IDEA Fitness member

I guess I did a poor job of describing my weight loss. I haven't lost 2lb per day nor do I plan to lose at that rate. I have lost 2lb on some days. I have been losing at that rate (1.5-2) and just wanted to see whether it was ok to lose like that for now (I am only into my diet for about a week now).
  • gopherfan53
    Options
    From personal experience, 5'5" 240 at the time. I was running 3 miles and doing insanity and losing 2-4 lbs per week which held steady for the entire program. That with a 1k deficit daily eating back my running calories I think. Didn't lose much muscle density. Insanity isn't exactly low slow cardio ;)

That sounds like a great plan. I'd love to be able to exercise like that and lose consistently like you did. Add maybe 700 calories or so to the my daily calorie goal (what I burn for 3 miles) and I think that might work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I guess I did a poor job of describing my weight loss. I haven't lost 2lb per day nor do I plan to lose at that rate. I have lost 2lb on some days. I have been losing at that rate (1.5-2) and just wanted to see whether it was ok to lose like that for now (I am only into my diet for about a week now).
    If that's the case then don't be disappointed the upcoming weeks since the first week of a diet is when the most weight is usually lost.

IDEA Fitness member
  • gopherfan53
    Options
    and how much exercise have you been doing so far? for how long?
    apart from doubts about the feasibility of a 1-2lb loss a day, i'd expect you would injure yourself within a few weeks and then all the exercise goes out the window.
    slow steady increase of exercise volume/intensity, with a step back every 4 or so weeks, would be the way to go. which means, you need a bit more time than just getting the idea into your head...
    I should have added this in my original post. I've been running about 2 miles three times a week for a month now just to get myself in shape. It was pretty difficult at first, but I've kind of worked my way up to the 3 miles. I wouldn't hop on the treadmill one day and just decide to do 3 miles. That would be awful.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'm going to hazard a guess that you lost a lot of water weight in your first week. That's fairly common and not unhealthy, but your weight loss is very likely to slow in the next few weeks.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Day to day weight loss can be erratic. You retain water one day, lose it the next... it'll go up and down in spurts sometimes. You have to keep your eye on the overall trend, not the individual numbers.