Drastically underestimated BF%?

Options
After seeing the BuiltLean pictures in another thread I'm thinking that my 3-site caliper method has been really wrong.

Like, I started my bulk too high and maybe now I'm way too high?

But I mean my pants still fit well, waist measurement is good.

It's one of those "when you know, you know" things isn't it?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    hard to tell without pictures to compare something to ...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I think you're worrying too much about a variety of different things while you are on your bulk. Stop worrying and just focus on improvement.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yeah I mean, without posting pictures I realize there's nothing for anyone to go on.

@LolBroScience You're 100% correct. Too much worrying.

Thanks guys.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calipers are only accurate if you are under 15% bodyfat I believe plus I think everyone drastically underestimates their bodyfat. I started at 260 and estimated I was around 22% bodyfat. I am currently 230 and am probably about 16%. With a long way to go visually.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Calipers are only accurate if you are under 15% bodyfat I believe plus I think everyone drastically underestimates their bodyfat. I started at 260 and estimated I was around 22% bodyfat. I am currently 230 and am probably about 16%. With a long way to go visually.

So what's the solution? Just going by the mirror? I guess worrying about the BF number is just a step removed from worrying about the scale number. Is it meaningful if you're happy (or dissatisfied) with the results?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

So what's the solution? Just going by the mirror? I guess worrying about the BF number is just a step removed from worrying about the scale number. Is it meaningful if you're happy (or dissatisfied) with the results?

again, if you want to post some pictures we can try to give you an estimate ..

other than that the most reliable results are either Bodpod or DEXA....

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above the most accurate way is a Bodpod or DEXA, although even these have inaccuracies of a few %. Far too many people get hung up on percentages/Lean body mass etc. when in reality one person may look great at 18% bodyfat and another not look the same until they reach 13%. It's all down to what you want to see in the mirror at the end of the day. Taking photographs is the best plan to record progress
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    As mentioned above the most accurate way is a Bodpod or DEXA, although even these have inaccuracies of a few %. Far too many people get hung up on percentages/Lean body mass etc. when in reality one person may look great at 18% bodyfat and another not look the same until they reach 13%. It's all down to what you want to see in the mirror at the end of the day. Taking photographs is the best plan to record progress

This is an excellent point.