Low impact way to build muscle.

Options
Moter98
Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
My dilemma's.......I am 109 lbs at 5'3" low muscle mass from second pregnancy bed rest. At least a good 2" of fat on my belly to lose and an ab separation of about 2.5 at the belly button, 1.5 below. (No doming or painful issues with the diastasis) After baby #3 (6 months ago) I have tried to get back to my old lifting routine, but keep getting injured. I finally decided to take a month off to let my body rest and and heal and am looking for a different way to gain mass other than lifting heavy. I don't know if its my age (35), having babies so close together, or just bad luck. I was only training weights full body 3 days a week so I doubt overtraining. I am happy with my body except for this belly. I know I'm supposed to lift heavy and eat to gain mass and lean out the belly area, but the lifting heavy part my body simply will not let me do. Help!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the act of breaking down muscles to be built bigger/stronger is very stressful so I'm not sure it's possible to have "low impact" muscle building. If you keep getting injured I'd look at the root cause. What are you injuring and doing what exercises? What program are you following? Technique may probably be your problem. Doing too much too fast may be another.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    What are the steps for fixing the diastasis? I'd start there, then body weight exercises, then dumbbells, then go from there.

As far as the fat, that's all diet/deficit.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You might also want to share what kind of injuries you're talking about.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" is relative, too. It just means that you're lifting a weight that is challenging but still allows you to maintain correct form and not injure yourself. What was heavy for you before a major physical event may be too challenging afterward, but that's okay. You have to do what you can do now and not worry about what you were able to do a year ago.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I bought a pack of stretch band loops from Walmart. I use all 3 together for maximum resistance while laying in bed watching TV. I work my arms and legs. They seem to work well and there's no impact involved.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-615d/k2-_623ee389-0e00-42e7-aa64-c14b3def871c.v1.jpg
  • Moter98
    Options
    I was doing NROLFW and I've done it before with no problems. Maybe I just started too soon after baby, I am not sure. I started with just bodyweight at 6 weeks PP. I first pulled a hamstring in January doing lunges (2 months PP and with just 6 lb weights) that is still bothering me today, probably because I never initially gave it enough time to heal before testing it out again. Then I stopped doing lower body, and just did upper body and pinched a nerve in my back in mid March. In this case I think I used too much weight too quickly. I still can't doing any lifting or even planks without it flaring up again. I also have no idea how I got this, but above my left ankle is sore, feels like a tendon type injury. THEN, after I completely stopped all types of workouts I was carrying up a table for a friend and pulled my right calf muscle. So that's where I am now. I've stopped all workouts now for about 2 weeks and am resting as much as you can with three kids until all my pain is gone before going back to working out.

As for the diastasis, I do follow a strengthening program for that that is very gentle, no impact. The separation has not closed though.

As far as the fat, I know a deficit will take care of that, but at 109 lbs at 5'3" I really don't feel its healthy for me to lower my weight anymore.

Oh yeah, and "heavy" for me is probably most peoples warm up. I am pretty weak, hence the desire to build some muscle.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Moter98 wrote: »
    I was doing NROLFW and I've done it before with no problems. Maybe I just started too soon after baby, I am not sure. I started with just bodyweight at 6 weeks PP. I first pulled a hamstring in January doing lunges (2 months PP and with just 6 lb weights) that is still bothering me today, probably because I never initially gave it enough time to heal before testing it out again. Then I stopped doing lower body, and just did upper body and pinched a nerve in my back in mid March. In this case I think I used too much weight too quickly. I still can't doing any lifting or even planks without it flaring up again. I also have no idea how I got this, but above my left ankle is sore, feels like a tendon type injury. THEN, after I completely stopped all types of workouts I was carrying up a table for a friend and pulled my right calf muscle. So that's where I am now. I've stopped all workouts now for about 2 weeks and am resting as much as you can with three kids until all my pain is gone before going back to working out.

As for the diastasis, I do follow a strengthening program for that that is very gentle, no impact. The separation has not closed though.

As far as the fat, I know a deficit will take care of that, but at 109 lbs at 5'3" I really don't feel its healthy for me to lower my weight anymore.

Oh yeah, and "heavy" for me is probably most peoples warm up. I am pretty weak, hence the desire to build some muscle.

Just carrying around infants and toddlers will put a strain on you - maybe that is weight lifting enough for the time being. I think you are wise to stop "workouts" for the time being as well - don't underestimate that something as simple as brisk walking will be helpful in overall conditioning, and make sure you have adequate shoes (I once strained both ankles after a day of just walking in flat "keds" type shoes).
  • Moter98
    Options
    Yes, I do have to lift the kids, especially baby all day. I haven't even ventured into brisk walking yet. I figure if I'm taking the time off, I'm gonna give resting all I've got, ha! Thanks for the shoes tip. I did just this week go out and spend the most I have ever spent on a good pair of shoes in my life. The salesman looked at my old shoes and said I should not have been wearing them to workout or even everyday walking because they bend completely in half and thats offering no support.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You need to care of your back, the pinched nerve needs to be evaluated by a Chiropractor or Physio Therapist. It could be as simple as a misalignment that can easily be corrected by several sessions at the Chiropractor's office. Worse case you may have herniated or have a bulging disc which is pinching the nerve. If that is the case the sooner you get it taken care of the better. In either case a back injury needs to take top priority. I know this may sound extreme, though I speak from experience when it comes to a back injury. I now suffer a permanent debilitating back injury.

For your hamstring, calf and ankle issues I would suggest consulting a physical therapist so they can evaluate its range of motion and teach you the proper exercises to properly rehabilitate those injuries.

As for your diastasis, continue that strengthening regime after you have had your back checked to make sure that they are not interfering with each other.

Good Luck.
  • Moter98
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I am seeing a Chiro for my back and its fine now unless I try to lift weights again. Tight upper back muscles seem to be what is causing it. As for the other injuries, I've been putting off going to the Ortho because of cost. We have a very high deductible health plan so going there for just one issue will cost in the thousands, don't even want to think what eval and treatment for multiple injuries will cost. I've decided to try complete rest first and then do stretch and strengenthing on my own before going the expensive route.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, and isn't our new insurance program so much better now?

I enjoy my pre-natal care and other female only care that I have to pay for as part of my plan. As a 50 year old man I was thinking of getting pregnant this year or next. I just can't let all that expensive to use coverage go to waste. Besides, I have to find some way to spend thousands of dollars to reach my deductible limit, that I really can't afford to spend, so I can start actually using my reasonable co-pay. And, I seriously wish I was joking about this.
  • Moter98
    Options
    Hahaha! We've had individual/family health care for years now as we don't have group/work coverage so we are used to the high deductibles. However, now we get even HIGHER deductibles and get to pay a higher premium too. I think you should seriously consider having a baby, since it's covered and all. ;-)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree you need some rest to really get back to yourself. I have had diastis for 12 years since my last baby and it doesn't affect my training - though I stay away from most crunches and crunch-type ab exercises so as to not make it look worse.