sugar busters

Options
I am trying to get my MFP goals to reflect the Sugar Busters diet stategy, does any one know what those goals should be for a 1200 calorie diet? the carb/protein/fat/sugar split? i read the book but I am having trouble putting the overall picture together into MFP

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome, maybe we can help if you explain what the goals of that plan are. I would generally suggest that you can be successful with just focusing on calories to start.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are eating 1200 calories a day, I would not be too concerned with sugar intake. Unless of course you have a medical condition ….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome, maybe we can help if you explain what the goals of that plan are. I would generally suggest that you can be successful with just focusing on calories to start.

goal = bust sugar, aka get ride of it, because it is the source of all evil in the world...
  • girlviernes
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

goal = bust sugar, aka get ride of it, because it is the source of all evil in the world...

Not sugar Busters?

300?cb=20130123234103&format=webp

buster_coloring.gif

MV5BMTI0MjA4ODk5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQyNjI2._V1_SY317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

• Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My mom was put on that plan when she was diagnosed as prediabetic..... But she worked with a registered dietician, and it did correct her blood sugar levels. It is my understanding you concentrate on lower glycemic index fruits and veggies, no white bread or white rice but grains, oatmeal and Brown rice are okay, lean protein and fish. I can't remember much else. Since it is mostly about the types of foods that matter, you might start with what MFP sets for you, or have your doctor set you up with a dietician if it is for blood sugar issues. Good luck!
  • robinalexis
    robinalexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes lower GI foods are more healthy. Sugar busters isn't about getting rid of ALL sugar but limiting it's role in our diet. It's also about high fiber carbs like whole grains, rye or sour dough bread. But all I can seem to do is track macro and unless I use another app to double track my food to figure out which foods are lower GI then I'm clueless. I don't know so if I set up up a 30-35%carb. How much is supposed to be fiber ?
  • robinalexis
    Options
    Anyone use a glycemic index or glycemic load app?
  • girlviernes
    Options
    The thing that glycemic index/glycemic load doesn't take into account is the overall balance of your meal. I have insulin resistance and I do try to watch high glycemic load foods - how I do this is always eat them in reasonable portions and with fat and/or protein. Generally speaking, this would be sugary and starchy foods such as candy, grains, potato, etc., and I will eat a reasonable portion (about 30g of carbohydrate) plus protein/fat. Usually this is in the context of a meal, so it will be veggies, starch, protein, and perhaps some nuts, chia, cheese or olive oil.
  • robinalexis
    Options
    Thanks
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The thing that glycemic index/glycemic load doesn't take into account is the overall balance of your meal. I have insulin resistance and I do try to watch high glycemic load foods - how I do this is always eat them in reasonable portions and with fat and/or protein. Generally speaking, this would be sugary and starchy foods such as candy, grains, potato, etc., and I will eat a reasonable portion (about 30g of carbohydrate) plus protein/fat. Usually this is in the context of a meal, so it will be veggies, starch, protein, and perhaps some nuts, chia, cheese or olive oil.

This. This is what will allow you to lose weight and keep it off long-term. Of course you have to do it within your calorie allowance as well.