Safe strength training advice needed please

Options
aaliceinw
aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
Okay! I need to do something different. I need to do strength training to avoid any more injuries. I would prefer to use own body weight if possible but can't do any high impact or exercises that will put weight on my ankles or feet.

I do have a gym subscription so it is an option but time constraints make it difficult to commit to a regular routine there, hence my preference for a home solution.

I started on MFP in December 2014. I'm 5"1 and weigh 178 lbs. I lost 16 lbs in 3 months and have stagnated for the last 4 weeks. My body fat has hardly changed going from 45% to just under 44% but my BMI and NSV's have significantly changed in a positive way. I fractured my ankle at the beginning of March and was slowly getting back into my routines again but now have an injured tendon on the same foot and am back to using a cane for support.

I discovered I had an eating disorder when I started on MFP, so my initial focus was just on getting three meals a day and hitting my calorie goals. I have learned how to weigh my food and will be working on balancing nutrients next. I have a feeling that I am now eating at maintenance, 1200 calories for mainly sedentary lifestyle with 5 x 30 minutes cardio per week. I have begun doing yoga 5 days a week.

I think I need to begin rebuilding my muscles and toning again I order for my weight loss to continue. Any suggestions or links will be appreciated for strength training before I move into the next level towards achieving my goals. Thank you.

Replies

• LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sorry that I can't be of much help in regards to specific strength training programmes, however I just wanted to ask if you are getting professional help for your eating disorder. It's great that you are trying to eat more, and are working on that, but 1200 a day is what most people lose weight on (the lowest recommended intake for females), and I suspect that you should be eating a lot more for maintenance. If you are not seeing a professional for this, then you need to see your doctor asap.

It sounds like you are keen to be healthy, and the best way to do this is to work with professionals to ensure that you have a healthy mind, and body.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry that I can't be of much help in regards to specific strength training programmes, however I just wanted to ask if you are getting professional help for your eating disorder. It's great that you are trying to eat more, and are working on that, but 1200 a day is what most people lose weight on (the lowest recommended intake for females), and I suspect that you should be eating a lot more for maintenance. If you are not seeing a professional for this, then you need to see your doctor asap.

It sounds like you are keen to be healthy, and the best way to do this is to work with professionals to ensure that you have a healthy mind, and body.

In addition to the above, for strength training, you really should talk to a doctor or physiotherapist, that get set you up on a recovery plan that would best work with your ankle.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Given your injuries and current training program, perhaps you should use the yoga as a means of building strength?

The change in weight/BMI without a corresponding bf% loss leads me to believe you’ve lost more muscle than fat. How are you measuring your BF%? If you’re relying on a scale, it is probably wrong. I’m hoping so.
  • aaliceinw
    Options

Yes I am working with a dietician who is also working with me on my fitness plan. It's taking a this long to just get to making sure I get 1200 in per day without skipping days. Thank you for your suggestion anyway.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    WeaponXI wrote: »
    Sorry that I can't be of much help in regards to specific strength training programmers, however I just wanted to ask if you are getting professional help for your eating disorder. It's great that you are trying to eat more, and are working on that, but 1200 a day is what most people lose weight on (the lowest recommended intake for females), and I suspect that you should be eating a lot more for maintenance. If you are not seeing a professional for this, then you need to see your doctor asap.

In addition to the above, for strength training, you really should talk to a doctor or physiotherapist, that get set you up on a recovery plan that would best work with your ankle.

Thank you! I will set up an appointment with the physiotherapist. That will most likely help a lot.

• aaliceinw
    Options
    Given your injuries and current training program, perhaps you should use the yoga as a means of building strength?

The change in weight/BMI without a corresponding bf% loss leads me to believe you’ve lost more muscle than fat. How are you measuring your BF%? If you’re relying on a scale, it is probably wrong. I’m hoping so.

Thank you for your input. I think you are right. Both my scale and the mechanical measurements (tape measures, calipers and a little hand held gadget) indicate the same measurements for the BMI and body fat. The dietician is also working with me on that because she has mentioned the same concern.

Would there be specialized yoga teachers who can guide me or would I need to look up the strengthening postures on you tube?

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    aaliceinw wrote: »

Thank you for your input. I think you are right. Both my scale and the mechanical measurements (tape measures, calipers and a little hand held gadget) indicate the same measurements for the BMI and body fat. The dietician is also working with me on that because she has mentioned the same concern.

Would there be specialized yoga teachers who can guide me or would I need to look up the strengthening postures on you tube?

I’m not really versed on yoga methods, but I do know there are some that focus on strength and flexibility just as some focus on relaxation and meditation.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Thanks Allan.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I would start with something like Hatha yoga, and go from there.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Thank you Virgin Goddess. I will look it up,
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Swimming or water therapy may help too
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Yes I do at the gym. I try to go at least once a week.