calories calories

Options
Ok yesterday i consumed 1720 calories but i burned 1500 with all the exercising i did walking, mowing grass, basketball.i just wondering if that's good i felt like a million bucks yesterday.and i ate like 145g of protien so i met my protien goal.just curious if i should have eatin back all the cals i burned?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating that burn? MFP tends to overestimate, so I would be wary of using their entries for everything.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating that burn? MFP tends to overestimate, so I would be wary of using their entries for everything.

This....you would need to walk pretty much all day long to burn that many extra calories above your bmr.

That said..good on you for sticking to a calorie goal and getting up and moving.

Generally yes, I'd advise eating back some even if not all of your exercise calories, or you risk not fueling your body properly. Not eating them back once in a while here and there isn't going to be a major problem though.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, I burned that much yesterday too. I'm not so sure. I ate 500 calories above what my goal calories are. I think the calorie burn charts are off (not just on MFP, since MFP matches the others) for those of us who are significantly larger or smaller than the average person.
  • kickin_bass87
    kickin_bass87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Do you have your Fitbit synced up here so it's giving you a calorie adjustment?

Also, how long have you had your Fitbit?

What I've found is I can eat back pretty much all my earned calories from my Fitbit as long as I follow the calorie goal MFP gives me. I've had my Fitbit since January and it's been pretty good about estimating my calorie burns :)

If you haven't had your Fitbit long, I would be cautious about eating back earned calories - go for 50%-75% and see how your weight loss goes. Increase or decrease as needed.

~Lyssa
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    if you're not hungry, then don't. listen to your body! if you were hungry after all that, then yes eat. if not, then don't. while MFP is a good way to see how you're doing (roughly), it's not the be all, end all. be sure to listen to your body :)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit.

So you burned 1500 above your everyday burns or did your fitbit just show 1500 so that was all you burnt all day (would be low with that exercise)?
  • kickin_bass87
    kickin_bass87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I burnt 1500 for the whole day.and i ate 1700 or a lil more for the day with my meals.just wondering i i need to up my calories for the ones i burn?
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, your fitbit says you burned 1500 all day, not above what your usual burns are, so you actually ate more than you burned if you ate 1700.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I burnt 1500 for the whole day.and i ate 1700 or a lil more for the day with my meals.just wondering i i need to up my calories for the ones i burn?

Do you really mean that Fitbit is displaying 1500 calories burned for the day (on the Fitbit itself or the Fitbit dashboard)? I'll echo that that sounds very low for an adult man who exercised at all so if that's the case then you might want to recheck that your Fitbit profile information is accurate. Or do you mean that the FitBit adjustment on MFP is showing 1500 calories added? Then yes, eat back some of those extra calories.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Ok yesterday i consumed 1720 calories but i burned 1500 with all the exercising i did walking, mowing grass, basketball.i just wondering if that's good i felt like a million bucks yesterday.and i ate like 145g of protien so i met my protien goal.just curious if i should have eatin back all the cals i burned?

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). When you connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit you get adjustments for the difference between your Fitbit burn & your MFP activity level.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, then eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    To the OP, you probably shouldn't make a habit of it, but it's not gonna hurt you every now and again. And basketball, especially if you are playing with fast, competitive players, burns a LOT of calories, posters, so an active day that additionally includes a few hours of bb is gonna be a big-burn day.