Best carryon food for flying?

Options
I travel at least once a month and don't have a lot of room in my carry on bags to pack food. Plus, all I can ever think of to pack is carb related stuff which is no good, ie pretzels, chips etc.

Any advice? I really don't want to gain pounds every time I go on a trip!

Replies

• ladieofthebees
    ladieofthebees Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too have been wondering this! Going on a long trip at the end of the month, worried about all the bad plane food/bad airport food.

The only thing I've really been able to think of so far is something pre-wrapped. I usually eat a Nature Valley Protein bar every day as a mini-meal as I find them a reasonable and tasty balance of carbs/fat/protein, so I was going to take a couple of those (the coconut and the dark choc and peanut butter ones are yum). That being said, only useful if you like nuts/are not allergic to nuts!

I'd love to hear other suggestions too!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I bring a small cooler with foods I prepacked in them. Last flight I had was 16 hours. My cooler had chicken/rice with steamed veggies, cut up tomatoes and mozzarella, fruit cup, and a small bag of chips.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    ^^^ that sounds yum. My travel fall-back is always Quest bars. Loads of protein and fibre, so they leave caloric room for whatever other food is available.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually bring a bag or two of Jerky depending on how long I'm traveling.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    almonds/nuts in general, protein bars, Quest protein chips (they are surprisingly good). Beef jerky, too -although some balk at that due to the sodium content.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just a few options off the top of my head...
    - A pre-measured baggie of nuts or seeds, or even a low sugar trail mix blend if you are someone who has a sweet tooth
    - Cut up veggie sticks that are easy to eat, such as carrots and celery. You can even put a little peanut butter or hummus in a small tupperware container to dip them in
    - Cut up fruit, such as apple slices, or grapes. They also make those ready to go packs of apple slices that don't go brown on you! Or you can just throw a banana or orange in your purse!
    - Protein bars! Look for an option that has a lot of fiber and protein with limited sugar. My favorite are Quest protein bars (www.questnutrition.com) or you can pick some up at GNC!
    - Take some protein powder with you, and then ask for a bottled water on the flight and shake it up really good! Instant protein shake :)
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    you can order low-calorie meals with most airlines
  • PS5963
    PS5963 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A simple large freezer bag full of salad leaves, tomato cucumber beetroot etc with a dash of balsamic vinegar and shake well. Double bag if you worry about the balsamic vinegar leaking or leave it it out altogether. Bag is disposable afterward. Plastic fork would be good also :-)
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that there are often restrictions on food/drinks (liquids) when it comes to international travel.

It would be wise to find out if any of these apply to you before you go all out and plan your journey around your own supplies.
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    I always take cut up veggies and a piece of fruit. Also a small amount of nuts for protein. If it's a long flight, I also take a good nutrition bar or a sandwich.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I bake a sweet potato, 2 halves on aluminum paper and take them with the paper wrapper. One boiled egg. Some fruit, usually apple.
    If the flight is very early morning, I also take instant oatmeal ( original version, less sugar). any airport coffee place will give you a Styrofoam cup with boiled water.
    Some nuts (almonds, pumpkin seeds) mixed with dry cranberry.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    On my most recent flight I took some pepperoni sticks and a sandwich.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Jerky
    Nuts
    Protein bars
    Hardboiled eggs
    Sandwiches
    Fruit
    Veggies
    Dry cereal
    String cheese
    Pepperoni slices to snack on

I always bring gum and mio as well
  • elphie754
    Options
    Please keep in mind that there are often restrictions on food/drinks (liquids) when it comes to international travel.

It would be wise to find out if any of these apply to you before you go all out and plan your journey around your own supplies.

There are some restrictions on produce, but that would come into play when you land. Customs would make you toss banned items.

Liquids are restricted on pretty much ALL airlines. The rule is typically no more than 3oz bottles, no more bottles than what can fit in a small zip loc baggy. Therefore- pretty much no drinks past security. You can, however, bring aboard any drinks that you purchase after going through security. Customs may or may not make you throw these out when you land.

• tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Jerky
    Nuts
    Protein bars
    Hardboiled eggs
    Sandwiches
    Fruit
    Veggies
    Dry cereal
    String cheese
    Pepperoni slices to snack on

I always bring gum and mio as well

Please don't bring hard boiled eggs on a plane.

• LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch for the plane....sandwich, cut up fruit, and green tea bags (you can get hot water for free on the plane). I call ahead to find out if there is a micro/fridge in the room and plan from there. In my suitcase, I pack oatmeal packets (add hot water), Health warrior bars, green tea bags, sweetner, individual packets of tuna and chicken, small mayonaise, .... Usually, I head to the store once I'm at the destination, pick up enough water for the trip, and anything else I might want IE: microwavable meals. ** mayonaise can be put in the ice bucket to keep cold.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

There are some restrictions on produce, but that would come into play when you land. Customs would make you toss banned items.

Liquids are restricted on pretty much ALL airlines. The rule is typically no more than 3oz bottles, no more bottles than what can fit in a small zip loc baggy. Therefore- pretty much no drinks past security. You can, however, bring aboard any drinks that you purchase after going through security. Customs may or may not make you throw these out when you land.

Every flight I've been on in the past several years would not let any food/drink on unless it was purchased at the terminal after going through security. I would have loved to bring food from home. For the record, they've all been US flights.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    If the travel is less than 4 hours from the time I hit the airport to the time I arrive, I don't bother packing anything. If it's going to be an all-day travel then I will pack almonds and some lower-sugar, higher-protein grain bars, and plan on picking up a salad or something en route. If I have a protein-packed meal before I leave the house I don't feel like I am going to starve before reaching my "final destination" for any US flights in the lower 48.
  • elphie754
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Every flight I've been on in the past several years would not let any food/drink on unless it was purchased at the terminal after going through security. I would have loved to bring food from home. For the record, they've all been US flights.

I have never had an issue bringing a cooler of food on US flights. Then again I also have a medical condition and cannot eat out at all so I also bring a letter from my physician. However, they have never even questioned the food.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I have never had an issue bringing a cooler of food on US flights. Then again I also have a medical condition and cannot eat out at all so I also bring a letter from my physician. However, they have never even questioned the food.

Maybe I just choose the douchiest airlines or airports rather. :wink: