I'm getting so frustrated!!!

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
At not being able to deep squat properly, I'm so confused and I'm just not "getting it" :-( I'm currently reading the Starting Strength book and am still on the "Squat" chapter, I'm up to the part when he gets you to lie down on your tummy, hands behind head, elbows up, straighten knees and lift your knees (and quads) off the ground which I've done, he then goes on to say stand up still assuming this arch in the back and do a half squat which I did and felt the pull as he said I would but I'm sooo confused, I thought the back wasn't meant to arch at the bottom...

I just don't feel like I'm getting the whole back position, hip position, EVERYTHING position and I'm getting frustrated! I can do half squats because it's what I do in Bodypump and am used to it but I really want to learn to go deeper!

My knees don't feel right, my legs don't feel right!!!

I've watched numerous videos too....

:-(

Replies

• kmab1985
    Options
    Also, the lower back exercise I described above, can I do this on a daily basis to strengthen my lower back?
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's ok. You don't have to do it perfectly. Good form is important for two reasons: 1) not getting hurt, 2) engaging the muscles correctly and completely so you can get stronger.
    However, if you start at very low weights, the risk of getting hurt is low. So just practice as much as you can until it feels comfortable for your knees, stance and back. Then you can progress weight-wise.

You haven't really described why you can't go lower? Tight hamstrings? Balance? Does it hurt? What happens when you try to go as low as possible?

In any case, I suggest you try box squat, third world squats and stretching exercises for your hamstrings and glutes. I highly recommend plank and plank variations for a strong core.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're concerned about doing it safely! A couple of options:

1. Have a trainer (even if you have to pay for one session) or just a knowledgeable person at the gym watch you squat with the bar or bodyweight to check your form. It's much easier to have someone else make the little corrections.

2. Video yourself doing some broom handle squats. Upload the video to YouTube; post on MFP or r/fitness-r/xxfitness and ask for form critique! People love to help!
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Thanks for replying!

When I go lower my knees and legs don't feel , I feel like my knees face forward but my legs feel like they are leaning inwards towards my tummy, It doesn't hurt but the knees/legs definately don't feel right! I've been doing body pump for 4 months so a half squat is no probs but when I squat lower it feels "not right"....

Although my back doesnt hurt at all, I feel like I'm leaning my chest to forward (if that makes sense)!

Yeah I am on lower weights, I invested in my own barbell/weights today so I could practise but got so frustrated earlier!

• kmab1985
    Options
    @Cheshirecata...I have had a personal trainer but not yet learnt the squat...He shown me deadlifts and other various compound workouts....I only got interested in the deep squat when I starting following SL 5x5 and reading starting strength.

• mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How long have you been practicing? It's not something you can pick up in an afternoon, especially if you have limited flexibility. As other's have suggested, get your PT to show you, work on your problem areas and keep at it. It takes time to develop a new skill.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lol that's because you're doing the wrong type of squat. Rippetoad's low-bar squat in Starting Strength isn't a deep squat; it's a powerlifting squat to parallel or slightly below.

If you want to do deep squats (ATG, *kitten* to grass), you have to high-bar.

Take a look at this picture:
    back-pain-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squats.jpeg
    On the left is a high bar; on the right is a low-bar squat.

What you're doing is on the right. What you said you want to do is on the left. The mechanics are quite different.

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Your back has a natural curvature. That’s what he’s talking about. When you lay flat on your back, you’ll notice how there is a space under your lower back. That’s natural and the position he’s trying to teach you to keep during your lift. You do this by holding your core tight.

The squat is not the easiest lift, but you’re way overthinking this. If you’re struggling with depth, it is most likely mobility issues. Focus on that, and in the mean time, squat as low as you safely can.

• AllanMisner
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    Lol that's because you're doing the wrong type of squat. Rippetoad's low-bar squat in Starting Strength isn't a deep squat; it's a powerlifting squat to parallel or slightly below.

If you want to do deep squats (ATG, *kitten* to grass), you have to high-bar.

Take a look at this picture:
    back-pain-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squats.jpeg
    On the left is a high bar; on the right is a low-bar squat.

What you're doing is on the right. What you said you want to do is on the left. The mechanics are quite different.

That’s not entirely true. The lift on the right is not quite right. He’s leaning too far forward. A low back squat doesn’t have to have that forward of a lean, in fact, it shouldn’t lean anymore forward than a high back squat (although it does protect the back a little more if you were to lean forward more).
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Now I feel foolish!! See! I told you I'm just not "getting it"....Youve hit the nail on the head for me...Honest truth, I've been trying to do low bar squat similar to the first picture buy of course looks like I'm trying to achieve something different i.e secong picture!!!
    BUT doesnt the strength training book teach u "low bar" squat..

#moreconfusedthanever :-(
  • kmab1985
    Options
    God I feel so much better actually! Just reread ur post and maybe I'm not actually doing it all "so bad", just the wrong way round :-)
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    Now I feel foolish!! See! I told you I'm just not "getting it"....Youve hit the nail on the head for me...Honest truth, I've been trying to do low bar squat similar to the first picture buy of course looks like I'm trying to achieve something different i.e secong picture!!!
    BUT doesnt the strength training book teach u "low bar" squat..

#moreconfusedthanever :-(

Yes, the book is based on the low bar squat. Most people find they can lift more on the low bar versus the high bar. Others claim it is safer on the back (not as much torque if you lean forward and not as hard on the cervical area). Relax. Please. You’ll get the hang of it.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    @AllanMisne...You are right! I am really overthinking it,if I can on going as low as I can,will this help me improve? I definately dont have good flexibility around this area....I cant even touch my toes when standing or sitting when I'm stretching out!....I'm more afraid of injuring my back :-( I dont use heavy weights btw!
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    @AllanMisne...You are right! I am really overthinking it,if I can on going as low as I can,will this help me improve? I definately dont have good flexibility around this area....I cant even touch my toes when standing or sitting when I'm stretching out!....I'm more afraid of injuring my back :-( I dont use heavy weights btw!

Yes, just do what you can for now. And dedicate time to work on mobility and flexibility in the hips and ankles. You can use self-myofascial release, flossing, and stretching to improve your mobility. Also, consider purchasing some lifting shoes. These will help you get a little more depth early on.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That’s not entirely true. The lift on the right is not quite right. He’s leaning too far forward. A low back squat doesn’t have to have that forward of a lean, in fact, it shouldn’t lean anymore forward than a high back squat (although it does protect the back a little more if you were to lean forward more).

You are right. He is leaning just a slight bit too forward. He could be upright just a tad more, although he'd still be more horizontal than his high-bar squat.

But you are incorrent about bar placement having no affect on torso angle. Bar placement certainly does affect torso angle. In fact, it is the biggest factor.

A low-bar squat needs to have more forward lean than high-bar because the lower the bar is on your back, the more forward you need to lean in order to maintain balance with the bar centered over your foot. This picture better demonstrates how bar placement affects torso angle:

Screen-shot-2012-12-06-at-12.51.21-PM.png
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    I guess I answered her and replied to her from the perspective of hip to back angle. You’ll note that the weight is centered over the feet in each of these images. The image you posted showed a poor center of mass alignment.

Early on, I’d rather have a trainee do front squats as I think that teaches a better squatting approach. Then they can work on getting stronger in the others.