Bone Marrow

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I was reading about our human ancestors, and how it's been postulated that the ability to make tools get to bone marrow explains our big brains. It got me thinking am I missing out on some great food? What does it taste like? Is it good? Has anyone ever tried marrow?

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Marrow is not too common in the USA but is more commonly found in European cooking. I have not had it but have read it is kind of like foie gras.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Find yourself a great little Italian restaurant and order up some "Osso Bucco"! That's a famous dish made with veal shank and it's the marrow of the shank bone that makes it so yummy (not gross, like it sounds). The texture is smooth and slightly gelatinous. Personally, I don't think it's anything like foie gras, which is heavy and very rich... not surprisingly since literally it translates to 'fatty liver'.
    Not sure about the calories in either, but I'd be willing to bet that neither is low-cal. :(
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I was reading about our human ancestors, and how it's been postulated that the ability to make tools get to bone marrow explains our big brains. It got me thinking am I missing out on some great food? What does it taste like? Is it good? Has anyone ever tried marrow?

You can usually buy marrow bones at a decent butcher, and roast them at home yourself. It's buttery, and...for lack of a better term, unctuous. Common preparation is to spread them on toast points.