Principal Big Mouth and the horrible terrible no good very bad day

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So I was looking online for fashion tips on what to wear to a graduation...when suddenly, I found that.

I still don't know what I'm gonna wear but at least I'm a lot less nervous about the ceremony now. I mean it'd be pretty hard to beat that no matter how bad I dress.

• halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I assume you're going as an attendee not as a graduate (being as a graduate would likely have a pretty specific dress code), so I would recommend something semi-formal.

That story is hilariously dumb. Who the hell says something like that. I mean, of course people yell racist things all the time which they're not even aware are racist, but even so ... When I'm in front of a large group of people I tend to try to avoid racial epithets. Googling "racial epithets" there is evidently a wikipedia page listing racial slurs. Evidently I've clicked it before. Huh.

e; To that end, I realize she didn't use any slurs, but she may as well have. Alienating a group of people might as well be the same.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh my, its worse. If you scroll down in this link past the ads to where it says "update" there is previous footage. She appears to be demanding the uniformed men close the doors?

http://thegrio.com/2015/05/09/georgia-school-founder-shocks-school-racist-remarks-graduation-ceremony/
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    halobender wrote: »
    I assume you're going as an attendee not as a graduate (being as a graduate would likely have a pretty specific dress code), so I would recommend something semi-formal.

That story is hilariously dumb. Who the hell says something like that. I mean, of course people yell racist things all the time which they're not even aware are racist, but even so ... When I'm in front of a large group of people I tend to try to avoid racial epithets. Googling "racial epithets" there is evidently a wikipedia page listing racial slurs. Evidently I've clicked it before. Huh.

e; To that end, I realize she didn't use any slurs, but she may as well have. Alienating a group of people might as well be the same.

Oh, it got better in her "apology".

Something about " oh sorry when I looked up all I saw were black people leaving" or something equally lame. Lost the link though, sorry guys.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Oh, BTW, yes...attendee. I'm going as the mom. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    This link is easier to follow.
    https://youtu.be/xu8tmg7HPbc

For the long vid.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Oh. And it all happened in a church! She called a grown man a "goober" and a "coward" for using an iPad to take pics of honors students.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Gordeuk told families with babies near the beginning of the speech to 'either keep their mouths shut or leave.'"

Not an unusual sentiment, but could have been delivered a LOT better.
    Nobody wants to put up with a crying baby or talking toddler.

And the rest of what she said? Hopefully she'll be replaced before next 'school year' starts.
    (I put it that way because it sounds like this isn't a real/traditional school, and things are pretty lax.)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This seems like when you have an ingrown toenail and you shouldn't pick at it because then it gets worse and worse and worse. Now I'm reading that there was history of nonsense, apparently.

What a shame.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    "Gordeuk told families with babies near the beginning of the speech to 'either keep their mouths shut or leave.'"

Not an unusual sentiment, but could have been delivered a LOT better.
    Nobody wants to put up with a crying baby or talking toddler.

And the rest of what she said? Hopefully she'll be replaced before next 'school year' starts.
    (I put it that way because it sounds like this isn't a real/traditional school, and things are pretty lax.)

She was described somewhere as the founder.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you and yours :) Have fun.
    As ChocolateDiet said, she's the founder. But as you pointed out it's not traditional and they are criticized for not requiring as much as other Georgia schools. I'm kind of thinking that this is the quick slope to the end of this non-traditional, independent study based "school".

It's clearly part of what's wrong with the world anyway.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    edited May 2015
    Options
    halobender wrote: »
    Congrats to you and yours :) Have fun.
    As ChocolateDiet said, she's the founder. But as you pointed out it's not traditional and they are criticized for not requiring as much as other Georgia schools. I'm kind of thinking that this is the quick slope to the end of this non-traditional, independent study based "school".

It's clearly part of what's wrong with the world anyway.

My conclusion is similar. Beyond the epithets as you call them and the alienation you pointed out, there is an undercurrent of selective enforcement at play.

She is enraged by people leaving due to her own mistake. However, video clearly shows a " white" family of 3 exiting the ridiculous scene she's created with her comments and she appears blind to this. Following that she actually states "..all the black people", are the ones leaving. With all the skirmishes kids get into day to day, this mistating of facts clearly caught on video and witnessed by so many can only damage her credibility in the future. I can't imagine being a parent in her office hearing what happened between two children and believing what I'm hearing is the truth after something like this.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mad8a4hnAK1r6aoq4o1_250.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    This remark by a parent in attendance:

“I was more embarrassed for everybody,” said Barnes. “It's a reality check, you never know how people think at an early age. They will understand there is always something going on beyond the surface.”

From this source:
    http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/29022915/tnt-academy-principal-under-fire-after-offensive-remarks

...is what initially stirred something in me. That a graduation is a time for pride and celebration. That families come and that she may have given some youngsters their first glimpses of something vile. It reminded me of a passage that I don't know where I read? Letter from Birmingham Jail? I believe it's an MLK passage. The one about the clouds of inferiority being visibly formed in the child's eyes? Maybe someone can quote that source for me more precisely. Anyways, that's what it reminded me of.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    edited May 2015
    Options
    tumblr_mad8a4hnAK1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Lol.

I know I'm stretching the selective enforcement thing but she's giving it a good head start if you see what I mean. ALL the kinds of people were leaving, but she only called out certain ones. Although this was not a law enforcement or etc. situation (yet)...you have to wonder what her school's suspension/expulsion rates look like. Proportionate to her community, that is.

Also if the situation had taken a worse turn (because her comments caused such a stir in the crowd) and people did end up having to be handled by the officers present, she kind of "primed" the situation by singling out a certain race over another as the problem while on the mic. That's bad.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    So, Huffington post just picked up the story. And so did the Washington post.

I think so far I'm annoyed with news outlets (not these... others locally) who are choosing to cover the story as her "apology" for her comments rather than the comments themselves and the reaction they caused.

The apology is not the story. The comments are. Anyone covering it leading with the apology seems like they are trying to soften the blow. Maybe it's just me.

Also, now she's blaming the devil. Even though she was in the house of God. Poor Jesus. SMH.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Wow, judging by the son's post, she's not a particularly good educator.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Wow, judging by the son's post, she's not a particularly good educator.
    Good observation.