Lifters, I'm so HANGRY!!

Go ahead, tell me to eat more. I dare you. Because I will DO IT.

I didn't work out for two days and I wasn't hungry. At. All. It was marvelous.

I started lifting again and I'm hungry all day long. Currently I do 30 or 60 minutes cardio and 45 minutes heavy lifting. I enjoy doing it, but then I suffer the rest of the day. Building muscle is great, but the ultimate goal here is fat loss. So, what should I do? Cut back on exercise? Suffer the hunger for another 12 months? What? WHAT?

BMR: 1687
TDEE: 2911 (5-6 hours/wk, strenuous exercise)
TDEE -20%: 2329

***Also, I need more lifters on my friend's list so I can creep on your diaries and complain about the hangry people in the forums. ADD ME. ***

icecream.gif

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Snap!!!!!!

I did a body pump class lastnight, body is killing, and all I want to do is eat, eat, eat!!! I noticed aswell when I started lifting I just want to eat more, but apparently you burn a lot more calories from lifting ...or you burn for longer???

What we going to do????

Protein is great after work outs, Chicken, Eggs, Nuts, Shakes etc.... You having enough protein in your diet??
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Maybe try getting a greater percentage of your daily calories from protein? I aim for a 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat ratio, concentrating on making my protein goal first. I don't usually make it, but concentrating on protein keeps me from going too crazy with the carbs, which don't leave me feeling very satisfied in the long run.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Protein is great after work outs, Chicken, Eggs, Nuts, Shakes etc.... You having enough protein in your diet??

After a quick look at your food diary, I'd suggest eating way more protein and reduce the carbs (I know not all carbs are bad). The protein will fill you up and keep you sated for a longer period of time.

I hate being hungry! :laugh:
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    I lift 5 days a week and heavy. I also do about 1 hour of intense cardio 6 days a week. I get around 200 grams of protein a day (I weigh 192). When my protein intakes falls below 120 the hunger gets unbearable.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    I like that furry thing around your neck.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I will add you. I lift, but my BMR is 1350(about) , so my TDEE -10% is ~1600(about). I just tried my first REFEED, under the supervision of some of the fine folks on a "eat/Train/Progress' board. - I was having the "I'm SO HUNGRY the day after lifting I could eat ALL the FOODS and still gnaw off my left arm!!"

I started lifting again and I'm hungry all day long. Currently I do 30 or 60 minutes cardio and 45 minutes heavy lifting. I enjoy doing it, but then I suffer the rest of the day. Building muscle is great, but the ultimate goal here is fat loss. So, what should I do? Cut back on exercise? Suffer the hunger for another 12 months? What? WHAT?

***Also, I need more lifters on my friend's list so I can creep on your diaries and complain about the hangry people in the forums. ADD ME. ***

icecream.gif
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    I'm always ravishing after i lift. And I only lift maybe once or twice a week! Guess that's our body saying we need protein! lol
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I was just complaining about this on my wall, being so damn hungry!! Most of my hunger comes on rest days though, rest days after really intense workouts!

Feel free to add me if you wish, I lift 4 x a week. Don't log my food anymore though so you won't see any diary entries.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Have you tried vegetables?
  • 3foldchord
    I'm always ravishing after i lift. And I only lift maybe once or twice a week! Guess that's our body saying we need protein! lol
    YES, PROTEIN!
    I weigh 134# and I eat 120- 140 grams of protein daily, any less than that and I feel tired and weak.

(yes, it i s a bit high, but from all my reading, people with hypoglycemia do better with high protein, I'm finding that is true)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member

How often are you exercising? Are you lifting/doing cardio every day?

Anyway, I find that whenever I return to lifting after a break or change my program, I'm ravenous for a few weeks. And I eat. Because I'm hungry. Then it gets better and I don't eat an entire bag of cinnamon almonds from Trader Joe's anymore. So I'd suggest either eating at TDEE (or a 10% cut) for a week or so, then go back to your deficit.
  • 3foldchord

I would advise a smaller deficit than Maybe do a 10% cut instead of 20%. I was going to recommend calorie cycling, but seems you lift 5x a week so that won't work for you. Actually you might want to exercise every other day instead. If you're lifting 5x a week that's not the best layout for a beginner, That's more for advanced people. Maybe you're lifting every other day, and doing cardio on the other days? I don't know. You could eat more on lifting days if this wasy the case.

I agree with the advice to have a smaller deficit. If you are just doing body fat % loss (and not needing to drop 65#)- go with a smaller deficit, around 10%.
    Give your muscles recovery days between lifting days- recovery days are needed so your muscles can heal and rebuild.
    And, if you are eating at a deficit, you won't be building much muscle, if any. Not sure by your statement (bolded) if you wanted to build muscle, too.
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member

I would advise a smaller deficit than Maybe do a 10% cut instead of 20%. I was going to recommend calorie cycling, but seems you lift 5x a week so that won't work for you. Actually you might want to exercise every other day instead. If you're lifting 5x a week that's not the best layout for a beginner, That's more for advanced people. Maybe you're lifting every other day, and doing cardio on the other days? I don't know. You could eat more on lifting days if this wasy the case.

I agree with the advice to have a smaller deficit. If you are just doing body fat % loss (and not needing to drop 65#)- go with a smaller deficit, around 10%.
    Give your muscles recovery days between lifting days- recovery days are needed so your muscles can heal and rebuild.
    And, if you are eating at a deficit, you won't be building much muscle, if any. Not sure by your statement (bolded) if you wanted to build muscle, too.

Every time I'm in the gym, I aim for 45 minutes of lifting and an hour on the elliptical. The lifting I started in January to raise my bmr, so I guess in that respect, I'm still a noob. Even on a deficit I'm definitely building muscle, although I think it has slowed at this point. I know the standard is to take off every other day, but like the pace I've developed in the gym. I'm not sore or tired. It's simply the hunger. If I can keep going, I will.

I'm at the point where I can eat my whole deficit, build muscle (I presume), but not lose weight.

I briefly tried ketosis, but I don't think I was getting enough carbs to sustain the workouts. I'm going to look into calorie cycling. Thanks for that.
  • roxierachael
    Have you tried vegetables?

Only if they moo or cluck.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    If you are hungry after working out it is mental.
  • roxierachael
    I lift 5 days a week and heavy. I also do about 1 hour of intense cardio 6 days a week. I get around 200 grams of protein a day (I weigh 192). When my protein intakes falls below 120 the hunger gets unbearable.

200 grams?? This is might be my problem. My protein is set for 35% (165 grams) at the moment and I never, ever meet it. Thanks!
  • roxierachael
    I like that furry thing around your neck.

Pink feather boas make everything funner. :D
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I was having that problem so I increased my calories. So far it's working well.

First though you should definitely eat more protein. 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. And you might also try a refeed before just straight up increasing your calories.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    If you're going to eat the same amount I'd consider upping protein and reducing the cardio somewhat. Do enough cardio to derive the health benefits. Walk for fat loss if you feel it is necessary.

If you want to keep the current pace eat more and see how your body responds.
  • more calories because you need more strength to get the strength so you can lose more pounds. idk if it makes sense but oh well