3wks of LCHF diet and exersise and GAINED 6lb in a week!!!!!

Started LCHF 3 weeks ago and swimming for an hour 3-4 times a week after living a sedetary lifestyle and being VERY overweight.
The first week i was over the moon and lost 2lb, The second week lost 3lb and the third iv GAINED 6lb!!!!!!!!! bringing Me to being Heavier than when i started!
I'm eating 1600-1800 cal a day at ratios of 5/25/70 on Carbs/Protein/Fat and am strict on sticking however I could do with drinking more water if I'm honest. I drink tea (about 6 cups a day at most) and use sucralose based sweetener as wary of aspartame.
I know i haven't put a foot wrong other than what iv written above and have just started logging food diary on here to be certain.
Im traumatised by the gain as i did this years ago and lost 14lb in 2wk!!!
Iv today cut the sweetener and trying to up my water as i cant stand the taste of it and been having only 3-4 cups.
water retention has been suggested but i don't feel puffier

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    1759 pounds to go...is what your weight loss tracker says... You need to check this number out..
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. It's not necessary to eat low carb, high fat diet for weight loss (just saying for the record). 14 pounds in 2 weeks was likely mostly water weight and not sustainable long term. If you insist on being LCHF, then stick it out longer than 3 weeks. You can weigh daily to see what's really going on but I suspect that if you are devastated weighing weekly then daily may be more traumatizing.

Also, were you weighing your foods during the 3 weeks? We typically underestimate our portions, which is why most of us are here :) You really need to weigh your food regularly to be sure of your calorie intake.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I'm eating 1600-1800 cal a day

what amount of calories were you eating before the change over?

• traceymarie123
    traceymarie123 Posts: 5 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    1759 pounds to go...is what your weight loss tracker says... You need to check this number out..
    Ooh does it? I'm a bit confused with it to be honest but yes I weigh everything
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    I am going to make the assumption by your login name that you are female. Saying that, gaining 5 or more pounds at the beginning of your cycle can happen, and does, to all of us. I can gain 5 pounds overnight easily with a hormone shift. In a week it goes back down, and possibly a few more if you are still on plan.

• traceymarie123
    why is my tracker saying 1759 to go??? it won't let me change it!!
  • traceymarie123
    im not due until 2 weeks Idmoor
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Hormones fluctuate. I'd honestly chalk it up to water or salt. To have gained 6 pounds you would have to have eaten and extra 21,000 calories. I think you'd notice that.

I'm not super keen on super low carbs and an exercise regime. Healthy choices, apples, berries and such are not going to set you back. And as you train, you are teaching your body to use stored glycogen, and your body adapts to increase glycogen stores so you can build endurance. Just my 2¢. Might cycle a week off every 4-6.

Good luck with the weight loss. Might stay off the scale, and measure once a month-ish.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Started LCHF 3 weeks ago and swimming for an hour 3-4 times a week after living a sedetary lifestyle and being VERY overweight.
    The first week i was over the moon and lost 2lb, The second week lost 3lb and the third iv GAINED 6lb!!!!!!!!! bringing Me to being Heavier than when i started!
    I'm eating 1600-1800 cal a day at ratios of 5/25/70 on Carbs/Protein/Fat and am strict on sticking however I could do with drinking more water if I'm honest. I drink tea (about 6 cups a day at most) and use sucralose based sweetener as wary of aspartame.
    I know i haven't put a foot wrong other than what iv written above and have just started logging food diary on here to be certain.
    Im traumatised by the gain as i did this years ago and lost 14lb in 2wk!!!
    Iv today cut the sweetener and trying to up my water as i cant stand the taste of it and been having only 3-4 cups.
    water retention has been suggested but i don't feel puffier

Why are you shooting for such an extreme macro distribution? Do you have a health concern which recommends this kind of restriction?