Exercise calories burned???

Options
2»

Replies

• kmgstevens
    kmgstevens Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have learned regarding reported calories burned:

1) MFP crazy overestimates. I put in that I worked out for 30 mins on an elliptical and its ready to give me 600-700 calories burned.
    2) Machines overestimate a bit - depending on the machine. Depending on how well calibrated the machines are, it can really depend on how far off the mark it is. Since I was pretty damn sure MFP was 100% wrong about my calories burned, I would always use the machine readouts before I got my HRM. Turns out that the machines were overestimating how much I was burning too, but they were overshooting by about 50-75 (sometimes as high as 100) calories rather than the multiple hundreds that MFP would.
    3) HRM seems more realistic. If I am pushing myself, I an usually averaging about 10 calories/minute, so for a 30 minute workout I usually get around 300 calories burned.

The HRM follows what my trainer has told me, that 10 cal/minute is probably the best I should aim for. And since I have definitely eaten back calories (not all the time, mind you), I'm glad to know that I'm getting a more accurate read, since I certainly don't want to be in the red with my calories!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would get a HRM. I find that MFP overestimates a lot of exercises. It seems to be pretty accurate for me when walking, but that is about it. With that being said, I think a machine at the gym that takes your weight into consideration might be a bit more accurate than MFP, especially if it monitors your HR as well.

Only if you are wearing the hrm and it is talking to the machine. Otherwise it's pretty random.