Hunger

Options
fr3smyl
fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
For the last few days I have been really hungry, hunger headaches and all.
I have been doing this (MFP) for three weeks.
Is this just a normal side affect of weight loss that my body had to adjust to? Or do I need to concentrate on changing my macros, or eating times or something else?
Based on my height MFP had be set at 1200 cal/day.
I raised it to 1300 for a very slow weight loss but the ability to get my daily chores done (didn't have the energy at 1200).

I drink between 80-100 ounces of water a day plus tea (hot water with lime) throughout day.

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Looks like you don't have much weight to lose. I would add more calories if I were you. Headaches and feeling miserable don't need to be part of this journey.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I see that you have 2 pounds left?

It looks like you eat plenty, especially yesterday. When do you get headaches and how do you tie them to hunger? Are they related to exercising (before or after)... Is the tea your are drinking caffeinated? Are you on any medication?

Can you elaborate more on your situation.. need more to go on...

Your daily intake of calories (and macros) vary day to day especially when you enter the exercise calories into the equation so you are not really only eating 1200 (or now 1300)..

• fr3smyl
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I see that you have 2 pounds left?

It looks like you eat plenty, especially yesterday. When do you get headaches and how do you tie them to hunger? Are they related to exercising (before or after)... Is the tea your are drinking caffeinated? Are you on any medication?

Can you elaborate more on your situation.. need more to go on...

Your daily intake of calories (and macros) vary day to day especially when you enter the exercise calories into the equation so you are not really only eating 1200 (or now 1300)..

Oh no. The tea isn't caffeinated it's just water and lime. The headaches are similar to ones I used to have when I was hungry before this. They are also alleviated some when I eat.

Yeah, I've been eating more than required because I've been so hungry.

I don't workout. I do a lot of work outside though, building fences, building sheds, digging ponds, and caring for livestock. I only do this for a few hours a day and spend the rest inside.

My main struggle is trying to stay inside my daily calorie limit.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Looks like you don't have much weight to lose. I would add more calories if I were you. Headaches and feeling miserable don't need to be part of this journey.

Oh, I have 60 pound to lose. I thought we were supposed to reset our goal every ten pounds. I started at 188 pounds and more I'm at 177 pounds. My goal weight is 128lbs, though.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do you think it could be related to something else possibly? Did you stop drinking caffeine? Or possibly spring allergies since you said you worked outside.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    No, I have never been a caffeine person. I don't know if it's related to allergies or not though.
    I do want to find a way to curb my hungry though.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The best part about feeling hungry and getting headaches and all that stuff is that you're forced to learn how your body responds to what you're doing.

For me I would get hungry and headaches if I ate breakfast. For whatever reason I do much better eating only after lunchtime, I'm not hungry in the morning anyway. I used to force myself to eat breakfast and then was starving by dinner because I didn't have any calories left over.

Make smart choices. Eat mostly nutritionally dense foods. They are more filling in general. Save the calorie dense foods for treats.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    No, I have never been a caffeine person. I don't know if it's related to allergies or not though.
    For me when I'm hungry I snack on a bunch of different things. A few pieces of meat, a pickle, some nuts, a few pieces of cheese, some rasins all on a plate. Something about eating little bit's of everything helps a lot. But mine is more boredom hunger, not necessarily stomach growling I need to eat now hunger.
    could try some higher protein snacks as well.
  • HadassahsMomma
    HadassahsMomma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    After a couple weeks it can either get easier or harder. I think most of us are really determined in the start of it and it feels easy...and then our old habits want to sneak back in there. You may want to consider eating more than 1,200 though...even upping it by 100-200 calories can make a difference. If you don't want to do that then choose more filling foods. Beans are very filling, high in fiber and high in protein. They are also dirt cheap if you cook them from dry. You can have 1 cup of cooked black beans, 3 tbsp of salsa and 2 tbsp cheese for under 300 calories. You can also add black beans to smoothies so you stay full longer.
    Make sure you are eating good fats, like avocados.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Oh, I have 60 pound to lose. I thought we were supposed to reset our goal every ten pounds. I started at 188 pounds and more I'm at 177 pounds. My goal weight is 128lbs, though.

You reset your calorie intake goals every ten pounds. You can put whatever you'd like in for your goal weight, that only changes if you decide to change it.

I would lower the deficit, either to 1.5 or 1 pound a week. That will give you a bit more to eat, even though it'll take longer to lose, but you'll be more satisfied. And don't forget you can also eat back a portion of your exercise calories as well!
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

You reset your calorie intake goals every ten pounds. You can put whatever you'd like in for your goal weight, that only changes if you decide to change it.

I would lower the deficit, either to 1.5 or 1 pound a week. That will give you a bit more to eat, even though it'll take longer to lose, but you'll be more satisfied. And don't forget you can also eat back a portion of your exercise calories as well!

It's deadly set at one pound a week. Since I am 5'2" my daily calories intake is 1200. So it's less than 1 pound a week at 1300 calories a day.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Jasmunr wrote: »
    For me when I'm hungry I snack on a bunch of different things. A few pieces of meat, a pickle, some nuts, a few pieces of cheese, some rasins all on a plate. Something about eating little bit's of everything helps a lot. But mine is more boredom hunger, not necessarily stomach growling I need to eat now hunger.
    could try some higher protein snacks as well.

Okay, I will give this a shot.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I dont really do hunger and if im hungry I will eat. I also wouldnt be doing the headaches, so have a look at how you are using your calories and when. Are you doing much exercise an how significnat is that for your deficit? It may be that its nothing to do with the diet so keep an open mind.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I dont really do hunger and if im hungry I will eat. I also wouldnt be doing the headaches, so have a look at how you are using your calories and when. Are you doing much exercise an how significnat is that for your deficit? It may be that its nothing to do with the diet so keep an open mind.

Is you are hungry and really close to your limit do you still eat something or do you do something to stave off the hunger?
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    For my deficit:
    I can lose 1 pound a week if I stick to 1300
    To lose 1.5 pounds a week if I stick to 1200
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    The type of work you're doing outdoors sounds like it would definitely work up an appetite. It would seem to me that you can earn extra calories from the manual labor you do each day.

There are good suggestions above to eat filling foods like beans, nuts and cheeses. Soup is very filling, too.

Distraction is good; do not pine for food. Engage your mind reading interesting and uplifting things; visualize the rewards of losing weight. You're headed for renewed health, mobility, heck even new clothes are an inspiration. Get your mind into a place of optimism. Decide that you will succeed.

Then: succeed. :)

• fr3smyl
    Options
    The type of work you're doing outdoors sounds like it would definitely work up an appetite. It would seem to me that you can earn extra calories from the manual labor you do each day.

There are good suggestions above to eat filling foods like beans, nuts and cheeses. Soup is very filling, too.

Distraction is good; do not pine for food. Engage your mind reading interesting and uplifting things; visualize the rewards of losing weight. You're headed for renewed health, mobility, heck even new clothes are an inspiration. Get your mind into a place of optimism. Decide that you will succeed.

Then: succeed. :)

Okay, thanks! I have been searching through the forums try to find good ideas for distracting.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    I will be trying a little from each of the things you all suggested, thanks. B)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    What do you have your activity level set at? I would think with the kind of work you're doing you could set it to active. That may give you some more cals.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I do animal husbandry for a living. I log 10k steps very easily before noon on most days. This is about 5 hours of work. So it is really possible that you are not eating enough. I know I would never be able to function on 1300. I get light headed, headaches and can't focus or think clearly unless I hit a minimum of 1900.
    Do you have your activity level set to sedentary? I think you should consider setting it to lightly active or active. If your body is giving you such extreme warnings of being hungry you should not ignore them. Maybe invest in a fitbit so you can track your actual activity and find a more accurate calorie goal.