Strength/resistance training - increasing the weight?

Options
I'm new to the whole exercise thing. I've been going to the gym for a few weeks now, and have had a program put together for me on the resistance machine thingies.

My question is, how do I know when it's time to increase the weight? To begin with, I really felt it across my pectorals and in my legs the day after, but now, even though while performing the exercises, they didn't feel "easy" (although are certainly doable), I feel completely normal the next day. Is it time to go up a few kg?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Once you can do the prescribed sets and reps of an exercise at the current weight (with good form), it is time to increase the weight on the next workout.
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Once you can do the prescribed sets and reps of an exercise at the current weight (with good form), it is time to increase the weight on the next workout.

Is it a case of just being able to do them, or being able to do them and be able to move the next day?!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You have been doing the same weights and exercises for three solid weeks and still getting DOMS? Of you just want to move on..

I do not always feel the same after a workout or the next day. I just increase when I get through them and feel it is time to move on and I know that increasing my weight will not cause any injury. If you increase weights and cannot get through the set, it is too heavy..

This is trial and error and personal choice and if you have a prescribed work out, then have that person who set this up for you help you decide if you are ready to move on..
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If you are new, then you should be able to add weight (intensity) or reps (volume) fairly often. One popular program (to increase volume and good if eating to gain) prescribes adding an additional rep each workout till sets of 12 reps, then add weight and reset say back to 8. So using this as an example, if your current regime of whatever exercise is 3-4 sets of 8 reps. Then next workout for that exercise, do 3-4 sets of 9 reps, then next workout 10 reps, and so forth till you get to 12 reps. After you complete those required sets of 12 reps, then the next workout, add weight and start over at 8 reps. Rinse and repeat.
    If wanting more strength focused (regardless of eating to lose or gain), then adding in weight every workout should be able to be done. So another popular program will have you do the same volume (sets x reps) every workout, but increasing the weight by some degree every workout. One such is StrongLifts 5x5 where you again, do the same volume every workout, but you are increasing weight (say 5lbs on upper body every workout or 10lbs on lower body as prescribed for most new makes. Females might be 2.5lbs and 5lbs respectively) at every workout. All programs will be structured to allow for eventual failures and deloads to allow more time for recovery till you are no longer a newbie, but more of an intermediate lifter needing a different program to follow.
  • MaggotPig
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    You have been doing the same weights and exercises for three solid weeks and still getting DOMS? Have many days of these exercises are done in a week and are these curcuits, splits, etc.. ? Please explain your routine..

What is DOMS?

The routine that I've been given to start off with is using the resistance equipment. I've done the routine 3 times, the first while working out weights etc. with the instructor and then twice by myself.

This is what I did yesterday
    5fiktrti8vx7.jpg

• MaggotPig
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    If you are new, then you should be able to add weight (intensity) or reps (volume) fairly often. One popular program (to increase volume and good if eating to gain) prescribes adding an additional rep each workout till sets of 12 reps, then add weight and reset say back to 8. So using this as an example, if your current regime of whatever exercise is 3-4 sets of 8 reps. Then next workout for that exercise, do 3-4 sets of 9 reps, then next workout 10 reps, and so forth till you get to 12 reps. After you complete those required sets of 12 reps, then the next workout, add weight and start over at 8 reps. Rinse and repeat.
    If wanting more strength focused (regardless of eating to lose or gain), then adding in weight every workout should be able to be done. So another popular program will have you do the same volume (sets x reps) every workout, but increasing the weight by some degree every workout. One such is StrongLifts 5x5 where you again, do the same volume every workout, but you are increasing weight (say 5lbs on upper body every workout or 10lbs on lower body as prescribed for most new makes. Females might be 2.5lbs and 5lbs respectively) at every workout. All programs will be structured to allow for eventual failures and deloads to allow more time for recovery till you are no longer a newbie, but more of an intermediate lifter needing a different program to follow.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply in such a way that I understand!

My primary goal is weight loss, while increasing strength and improving posture (and hoping that a little extra muscle mass will a) burn more calories and b) fill a bit of the excess skin!)
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A rule of thumb I've found useful: on rep 3, you should be fine; on rep 7, you should be close to failure. If you're able to do all 10 reps without too much struggle, increase the weight.

Oh, and DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness :) it should go away (or at least lessen) as your body gets used to working out!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you can do 20x10 you can up the weight.

Pretty much if you can do 10-12+ reps it is probably too light. I'd say 5-8 reps is a good target many people use.