Every time I work out I hurt myself...help please

Options
12346»

Replies

• trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow- just read through this whole crazy thread. Lots of good info and advice here (even if you have to sift through some other stuff too).

My advice- start with planks and plank variations to strengthen your core. They are great exercise and are unlikely to cause injury.
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Well, philosophical aspect of yoga is a lot about self-awareness, giving up judgment, accepting, learning not to overthink. It's not a hippie thing.

People sure don't like it when I criticize yoga. The deal is, it's eastern medicine, and has strong religious and philosophical ties, it's not just stretching. As I've said before, in yoga class I've been given dirty looks for not 'ohm'ing and saying my mantras. I find the idea of mantras unnecessary. And while I think meditation has a ton of benefits, I don't like mixing my meditation with my workout.

So maybe don't think that when I say, I'm not a hippie and I don't like yoga, that I'm saying "ALL THOSE WHO PARTICIPATE ARE DIRTY SMELLY HIPPIES." I don't even mind hippies and wouldn't use it as a negative word, but that's how it's being taken.

tl;dr I don't like yoga, don't get offended that I don't like yoga.

We're just pointing out that feeling like you got run out of a yoga class does not mean you're well educated on the subject. As in, I've never attended a class where I was asked to "ohm" and probably wouldn't return to one. You may not be interested in returning to an instructor led class but your sweeping assumptions are just a tad bizarre. It's like I almost can't tell if the above was written by an expert or someone asking questions - which is it?

janeiR36, I've appreciated every post of yours I've ever seen, except for this one. Yoga culture exists. I've never had to "ohm" either, but I've heard a lot of talk about "sit bones". There is definitely a particular vibe, it might just not be for OP.

OP - physiotherapists are the way forward. I don't use my insurance (used it up; also have a lot of MSK issues) - I pay $75 Canadian dollars (remember there's an exchange rate), and it was $120 for the consult. Sometimes, I've gone every 2 or 3 weeks instead of every week (which is what I needed), but I still got a benefit from the exercise prescription.

Try to get a recommendation. My current physio is amazing and got my foot back to a decent level of functioning after years of not being able to walk for longer than 10 minutes. I found her at a highly recommended sports medicine clinic that treats athletes. She's up on all the latest techniques, very smart, very skilled.

I've also had two less good physiotherapists who were more used to working with non-athletes. At one place, they'd just set me up with exercises and walk away to the next patient ten minutes into my appointment. Bad place. You want their focus on you for your 40-60 minutes. Just takes research. Think "athletes". It will cost a bit more.

The good physio really made a HUGE impact on my quality of life.

This was reassuring to read. I'm currently figuring out a budget and will be calling around to a few in the area at the start of next week. Thank you so much!!
  • theutahdesertfox
    Options
    Well, philosophical aspect of yoga is a lot about self-awareness, giving up judgment, accepting, learning not to overthink. It's not a hippie thing.

People sure don't like it when I criticize yoga. The deal is, it's eastern medicine, and has strong religious and philosophical ties, it's not just stretching. As I've said before, in yoga class I've been given dirty looks for not 'ohm'ing and saying my mantras. I find the idea of mantras unnecessary. And while I think meditation has a ton of benefits, I don't like mixing my meditation with my workout.

So maybe don't think that when I say, I'm not a hippie and I don't like yoga, that I'm saying "ALL THOSE WHO PARTICIPATE ARE DIRTY SMELLY HIPPIES." I don't even mind hippies and wouldn't use it as a negative word, but that's how it's being taken.

We're just pointing out that feeling like you got run out of a yoga class does not mean you're well educated on the subject. As in, I've never attended a class where I was asked to "ohm" and probably wouldn't return to one. You may not be interested in returning to an instructor led class but your sweeping assumptions are just a tad bizarre. It's like I almost can't tell if the above was written by an expert or someone asking questions - which is it?

janeiR36, I've appreciated every post of yours I've ever seen, except for this one. Yoga culture exists. I've never had to "ohm" either, but I've heard a lot of talk about "sit bones". There is definitely a particular vibe, it might just not be for OP.

Sit bones, as in the body parts they ask you to make sure is on the ground before doing a seated twist? What exactly have these "sit bones" you heard about done to you? Every yoga class you went to forced "yoga culture" on you? That's all that's out there? Knowing that there's other options out there, a person that's frightened about "yoga culture" can't call ahead and ask a few questions so they kind of know what to expect?

Sure they can. And yes, every yoga class I've been to (excepting one at the YMCA) has carried with it a particular atmosphere and a particular demographic. OP's posting style is pretty straight up, I can see it maybe not being a fit.

Sit bones = pelvis, why can't they just say pelvis? I've never heard anyone call the ischial tuberosity "sit bones" except for yoga instructors.

hahhahah yes! I'm an EMT and "sit bones" just.....yeah. And it's the "breathe into your arms" or whatever, I have absoultely no idea what that means. I tried an introduction to yoga course and that's when they filled me up full of info on asanas, hatha, vinyasa and other words I didn't really care to learn--I wanted to stretch, geez. You know? I am VERY blunt and straightforward, I have a Swede mentality, so yoga is definitely not a fit for me. I have no idea how that came across so offensive but I appreciate that at least you seemed to understand.
  • theutahdesertfox
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    oh boy, yoga culture, missed that.

Yeah, yoga's great, but definitely disengage the logic core when there.

Yeah and see I can't do that. I just feel ridiculous. :/
  • theutahdesertfox
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »
    Wow- just read through this whole crazy thread. Lots of good info and advice here (even if you have to sift through some other stuff too).

My advice- start with planks and plank variations to strengthen your core. They are great exercise and are unlikely to cause injury.

This is good advice! I've been wondering what to do while I wait to get an appointment with a physiotherapist, and my conclusion was just keep doing cardio, and do a looooooooot of planks! :D
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Sit bones, as in the body parts they ask you to make sure is on the ground before doing a seated twist? What exactly have these "sit bones" you heard about done to you? Every yoga class you went to forced "yoga culture" on you? That's all that's out there? Knowing that there's other options out there, a person that's frightened about "yoga culture" can't call ahead and ask a few questions so they kind of know what to expect?

Sure they can. And yes, every yoga class I've been to (excepting one at the YMCA) has carried with it a particular atmosphere and a particular demographic. OP's posting style is pretty straight up, I can see it maybe not being a fit.

Sit bones = pelvis, why can't they just say pelvis? I've never heard anyone call the ischial tuberosity "sit bones" except for yoga instructors.

hahhahah yes! I'm an EMT and "sit bones" just.....yeah. And it's the "breathe into your arms" or whatever, I have absoultely no idea what that means. I tried an introduction to yoga course and that's when they filled me up full of info on asanas, hatha, vinyasa and other words I didn't really care to learn--I wanted to stretch, geez. You know? I am VERY blunt and straightforward, I have a Swede mentality, so yoga is definitely not a fit for me. I have no idea how that came across so offensive but I appreciate that at least you seemed to understand.

I'm not going to re-read the thread, but I don't see where anyone else has indicated this huge offense with your thoughts about yoga other than you, while using words like dirty hippie, no less. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. But you're stating conclusions having by your own admission only experienced very little of it. I do agree it wouldn't be a good fit for you if you're going to nitpick their verbiage or not put in the effort to find a basic kind of class that doesn't have all the extras

I've not even done yoga regularly in like a year. I think the gym owner dragged me into a class like six months ago. I think some of the responses you're getting have more to do with spreading assumptions and ignorance on any subject at all, rather than yoga specifically
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm not going to re-read the thread, but I don't see where anyone else has indicated this huge offense with your thoughts about yoga other than you, while using words like dirty hippie, no less. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. But you're stating conclusions having by your own admission only experienced very little of it. I do agree it wouldn't be a good fit for you if you're going to nitpick their verbiage or not put in the effort to find a basic kind of class that doesn't have all the extras

I've not even done yoga regularly in like a year. I think the gym owner dragged me into a class like six months ago. I think some of the responses you're getting have more to do with spreading assumptions and ignorance on any subject at all, rather than yoga specifically

Excuse me? Can you be more explicit, please? I'm not sure I can understand any reason to make veiled, blanket aspersions on any participant in this thread.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

OP - physiotherapists are the way forward. I don't use my insurance (used it up; also have a lot of MSK issues) - I pay $75 Canadian dollars (remember there's an exchange rate), and it was $120 for the consult. Sometimes, I've gone every 2 or 3 weeks instead of every week (which is what I needed), but I still got a benefit from the exercise prescription.

Try to get a recommendation. My current physio is amazing and got my foot back to a decent level of functioning after years of not being able to walk for longer than 10 minutes. I found her at a highly recommended sports medicine clinic that treats athletes. She's up on all the latest techniques, very smart, very skilled.

I've also had two less good physiotherapists who were more used to working with non-athletes. At one place, they'd just set me up with exercises and walk away to the next patient ten minutes into my appointment. Bad place. You want their focus on you for your 40-60 minutes. Just takes research. Think "athletes". It will cost a bit more.

The good physio really made a HUGE impact on my quality of life.

This was reassuring to read. I'm currently figuring out a budget and will be calling around to a few in the area at the start of next week. Thank you so much!!

Glad it helped, and good luck!
  • theutahdesertfox
    Options

When I say I have little experience, I mean that in relation to people who go to yoga regularly. With all due respect, you have no idea what I have or have not done in regards to trying out yoga. Which would put you as the assumption-maker in that regard. I've been to a total of five different centers in my general area (I live in a CRUNCHY, GRANOLA, neighborhood--yoga studios all over the place, but let me guess, those words are offensive too??) and I won't even go into how much money I wasted, when the classes are anywhere from 10-20 dollars a pop.

It became apparent to me that I was not part of that CULTURE (which exists) and when I looked at the instructors for help, I got none, and when I looked at them like they were nuts because they lit candles and told me to OHMMM, I realized then that I should have just put my wallet over the candle flame and burned up the money for all the good it did me.

I will repeat this again since you can't seem to fathom it....I don't like yoga culture and philosophy. I want to stretch my body. I do not want to do anything extra. Does that make sense? I want a stretching routine. Yoga is more than that, in many many places and to many many instructors.

And thanks. I won't be doing it. At all. Pretty sure I stated that originally; yoga is not for me. Now can we move on?