Daily Brown Bag

Options
I pack my lunch every single day! I've done so for 6 years now! I was looking for some suggestions. I usually have a spinach salad with 1 tsp. of oil and 1 Tablespoon of vinegar with one packet of splenda, and a half of a turkey sandwich on double fiber bread. No cheese or mayo. OR Sometimes soup or boca burgers, or whole wheat pasta and marinara sauce. I used to pack tuna a lot, but I stopped packing it because I continued to go over on my protein guidelines. Not sure how much tuna is appropriate...I could totally eat the can. I used to pack it and eat it plain with salt and pepper. Just bored and thought someone could share some good ideas. Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch every single day! I've done so for 6 years now! I was looking for some suggestions. I usually have a spinach salad with 1 tsp. of oil and 1 Tablespoon of vinegar with one packet of splenda, and a half of a turkey sandwich on double fiber bread. No cheese or mayo. OR Sometimes soup or boca burgers, or whole wheat pasta and marinara sauce. I used to pack tuna a lot, but I stopped packing it because I continued to go over on my protein guidelines. Not sure how much tuna is appropriate...I could totally eat the can. I used to pack it and eat it plain with salt and pepper. Just bored and thought someone could share some good ideas. Thanks in advance! :happy:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I like cheese, triscuits (or high fiber, whole grain crackers), and fruit. Sometimes yogurt or cottage cheese in place of the regular cheese, and seeds or nuts in place of, or in addition to the crackers.

And good for you for packing your lunch!
  • AshliColon
    AshliColon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunch lately is:

1 can Health Valley Organic no salt added tomato soup - 160 cals
    1 serving Hormel Turkey Pepperoni - 70 cals
    1 serving Mozzarella Flavor Veggie Shreds - 70 cals

I cut the pepperoni into small pieces and add it with the 'cheese' to the soup. I'm usually working through lunch so I tend to throw it all in a microwavable bowl and nuke it.

It's my version of pizza and is filling and delicious! :happy:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Try the Tuna To Go Lunch kits - comes with tiny can of tuna, a few crackers, light mayo, and relish. you whip up your own tuna salad and enjoy with crackers!

I'm a big fan of Lean Pockets too.

Baked potato with cottage cheese.

fresh fruit

Laughing Cow cheese with wheat thins, or on english muffin

cereal!! i eat it all the time...

those are just a few ideas! good luck!
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    what is a boca burger it sounds good
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love my parmesan chicken strips!:love:

in a gallon bag add 1/2 C reduced fat parmesan cheese, salt & lemon pepper (or whatever spices/herbs you like) add one package of chicken strips and shake to coat. Pre heat a griddle on high heat and spray w/ Pam, cook chicken 3-5 mins on each side until golden brown.

I make a ton of these for dinner on a Monday (made them tonight), then bag up the rest for lunches. I eat them with salad, fruit, cottage cheese, marinara sauce, fat free refried beans, the list goes on....

I know that 1/2 C reduced fat parm sounds like a lot, but I bet there is at least 1/4 c left after coating. Anyhow, hope that helps! I am so excited to hear that someone else is into making their own food, not buying crap! Here's to lunch!!!! :drinker:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    what is a boca burger it sounds good

Boca burgers are veggie burgers, they are pretty yummy too! They remind me of the buger they served at school. You can buy them in the frozen food section
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options

About the tuna: I asked a question about protein yesterday and it seems that MFP estimate for protein is pretty low (15%) whereas most people recommend around 20%-25%. I had the problem that I was always going over on my protein but I've now customized my settings and increased my protein to 20% and I don't have the problem anymore! Just a thought!
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options
    You guys are absolutely fabulous! Thank you so much. I've got a new and improved grocery list! I'm sure my husband will be thrilled! :grumble: Thanks again. I love to read any suggestions.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options
    How do I change the protein and carb percentages? Is that bad changing the protein? I do usually have a lot of carbs left over at the end of the day! COnfused :frown:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    How do I change the protein and carb percentages? Is that bad changing the protein? I do usually have a lot of carbs left over at the end of the day! COnfused :frown:

You go into settings and then click change settings and then cutom settings. If you have a lot of carbs left over then i would suggest lowering the carbs by 5% and upping the protein by 5%. If you're confused or not sure then have a looka t this link

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

It says that anywhere between 10-35% of your calories can come from protein a day. I moved mine up to 20 and if i need to i'll move it up to 25%. Personally, I wouldn't go much higher then 25-30% though. Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    1 apple 80 calories
    1 jello cup 10 calories
    1 serving turkey 50 calories
    1 serving baby carrots 30 calories
    1 small laughing cow cheese 35 calories
    1 south beach protein bar 140 calories
    1 packet green tea, 2 splenda 0 calories (for energy when the coffee boost disappears)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I usually do a turkey wrap with lettuce and tomato. no cheese or mayo. or a soup

Most of the time I'm have fat-free yogurt with it and a peice of fruit. I need a lot to fill be at lunch time... :bigsmile: