100 Day "Hide The Scales" Challenge

I had an epiphany today! I realized that my sadness at not losing more weight in the time I've been on MFP comes from the scale telling me that I haven't lost much (~5 lbs.) So I decided to HIDE the scale for the next precisely 100 days and THEN weigh myself again.

I am pretty sure that I could stay focused for 100 days without getting so depressed by the numbers that I occasionally give up.

Would you like to join me in this?
100 straight days of consistent effort and no scale-watching?

SW: 180
CW: 175
GW: 150
UGC: 145

I'm beginning today, May 10, 2015. Leap on board any time! Friend me!

Replies

• AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    You are a stronger woman than I am!!! Hiding the scale for even a week is a big step for me. I'm going to follow this thread and see how it goes for you! I'm very curious! If I weren't doing a weekly challenge where I weigh in every week, I'd be tempted to try it! Good luck!!!
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2015
    Thanks, Ash. It's the fact that the scale does NOT move that has me considering this radical step. I'm a numbers person and if I gain even .2-.4 oz between first-thing-in-the-morning weigh-ins, I am sad and mildly obsessive for the whole day! I know that's illogical.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Whatever suits you, but for me that would be a disaster as well as stressful. the scale tells me nice things and when it doesnt that just makes me more determined.Its just data. Xosndiering your post, you would do yourself a favour if you just understood about fluctuations and relaxed. If you are going 100 days without weighing thats your choice, but use other measures imo like how you look in the mirror, tape measure etc.

If you were doing the consistency thing then the scales would just show you losing. isnt the problem you havent been as consistent as youd like, not the scales.
  • CaliforniaRower
    999tigger wrote: »
    Whatever suits you, but for me that would be a disaster as well as stressful. the scale tells me nice things and when it doesnt that just makes me more determined.Its just data. Xosndiering your post, you would do yourself a favour if you just understood about fluctuations and relaxed. If you are going 100 days without weighing thats your choice, but use other measures imo like how you look in the mirror, tape measure etc.

If you were doing the consistency thing then the scales would just show you losing. isnt the problem you havent been as consistent as youd like, not the scales.

The problem is, Tigger, that last month despite enormous dedication the scale barely moved - 6 lbs total - and I was so sad I snapped into some of my old habits.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I'm a daily weigh-er but am considering taking the summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day) off from the scale. I'm trying to focus more on tape measure measurements than how much I weigh.
  • CaliforniaRower
    Well, perhaps you all are right, but 2 weeks on MFP and my scale didn't go up or down by more than .8, after losing 6 lbs right away (month 1) got me bummed. I LIKE weighing daily, but I noticed that it was causing me to feel like weight loss is hopeless for me, so I ate some bad things and now I'm trying anything I can think of to get myself back

Maybe this is too drastic an idea?
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    I just weighed for the last 20 years. I started seeing just staying at the same weight wasn't cutting it. My clothes fit me differently. I have now had to lose about 6 pounds to come back the normal size I use to be. Actually that isn't really enough. I have been working on weights to gain muscle too. It hasn't gotten me back. As we age our muscles mass changes.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I would never go without weighing for 100 days, how would I know if I need to make adjustments?

Instead of getting upset about the scale not dropping, or quitting, or throwing out your scale, or any of the multitude of ways we can sabotage ourselves, take this as an opportunity to take a good hard look at your goals, your workout burns, your logging accuracy, your settings, and your calculations, and tweak what needs to be tweaked.

My motto: If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up!
  • CaliforniaRower
    Thank you, Blankiefinder, for the best quote I've read in forever!
  • GymnasticsMommy
    GymnasticsMommy Posts: 80 Member
    Once a week weigh ins for me. I have thought about going 2 weeks but that be rough.
  • CaliforniaRower
    OK, OK! I respectfully withdraw my "great idea."
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    I'm not sure I could do 100 days, but my last experience being "scaleless" was a successful 20 lb loss. I was in China for a month. I would contribute most of my success to no preoccupation with the scale and a small amount to my inability to use chopsticks in a country without forks.
    Seriously though, it has been successful for me a few times!
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm going to be scale-less for 12 weeks, while I am traveling. That's not the same thing as being in your own home, in your own life, though...

For what it's worth: I'll only have room for a small carry-on - but you can believe I'm taking along my trusty measuring tape!
  • mack427
    mack427 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm with you not looking at the scale again until September. I know that is a long time but I am using my clothes and how I feel as a gauge. W all to do what is best for us. :)