New to lifting

Options
I'm looking to gain weight I'm 21 years and weigh 145 height is 5'8. I've been lifting for 3 months now and although I have seen myself increase the weight from the first week to now I don't see any physical change. Any advice?

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You say you don’t “see” a physical change. How about a change in your measurements / weight? Are you eating in a surplus to bulk, or eating around maintenance to recomp? What lifting program do you follow?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You're at a good age to gain some muscle! To gain muscle you need to do a few things, but the main points are below.

1. Stick to a structured program that has proven results (starting strength, stronglifts 5x5 are both good)
    2. progressive overload - lift heavy, and keep increasing the weights
    3. eat at a calorie surplus. I suggest finding your maintenance by logging your food and weight yourself, then go into a 400 calorie surplus.
    4. eat enough protein for your body weight. 1g per pound of LBM is a good place to start.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You're at a good age to gain some muscle! To gain muscle you need to do a few things, but the main points are below.

1. Stick to a structured program that has proven results (starting strength, stronglifts 5x5 are both good)
    2. progressive overload - lift heavy, and keep increasing the weights
    3. eat at a calorie surplus. I suggest finding your maintenance by logging your food and weight yourself, then go into a 400 calorie surplus.
    4. eat enough protein for your body weight. 1g per pound of LBM is a good place to start.

all this…

and did you take starting measurements so you have a comparison point??
  • Exegi_Corpus
    Exegi_Corpus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to gain weight I'm 21 years and weigh 145 height is 5'8. I've been lifting for 3 months now and although I have seen myself increase the weight from the first week to now I don't see any physical change. Any advice?

Physical changes takes different amount of times depending on the training type you use. Initial weight gain is mostly due to your body adjusting its nutrition deposition according to your new lifestyle (e.g. water deposition increases). I do not know what type of training you are following but 3 months for a single program especially as a beginner is not a good idea. My suggestion to you would be a pyramid scheme for 2 months then hypertrophy for a month. Depending on where you and what you want to achieve are standing rest can be planned. Also, the main reason that I am here, keep track of your nutrition. Know what you need and make sure that you get it. Let me know if you need more specific advice but for that I will also need more specific information on what you do.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Gotta gain some weight man. At 5'8 145, you look like a twig aka marathon runner. Eat like there's no tomorrow.
  • crizthakidd1
    crizthakidd1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think my metabolism burns calories so much. I'm using a 60 day fitness program from muscle and fitness. Com and I have been increasing the weight so I am getting stronger I just don't see my arms any bigger...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think my metabolism burns calories so much. I'm using a 60 day fitness program from muscle and fitness. Com and I have been increasing the weight so I am getting stronger I just don't see my arms any bigger...

are you taking measurements?
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If you haven't really trained before, the first month or two of "newbie gains" come mostly from neural adaptation, meaning your body gets better at using the muscle it already has. So not surprising that you feel like you don't see a difference, I felt the same way when I started (but I was increasing my weights like crazy so it was fun and I didn't care too much).

Actual size gains are extremely slow, just keep lifting and focusing on increasing the lifting numbers through progressive overload. At some point, your body is going to have to add new fibers to accommodate the higher stresses, it can only maximize the contraction force of a set amount of muscle so much. Patience and consistency are key, the gains will come OP.
  • kevcren
    kevcren Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Hey I'm 21 too!! Haha but are you doing the same routine?? What exactly are you doing for your workouts
  • kevlol123
    kevlol123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yoo calm down buddy your not gunna see change in one month lolol. Plus you look at yourself everyday so you wont notice anything. Give ur self 3-6 months and you should notice a big difference
  • crizthakidd1
    crizthakidd1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks homies! I'll stick to it. I been doing 2 body parts 4x a week for example Monday is legs and abs, Tuesday are chest and tri's Wed rest then thurs is biceps and back etc