So annoyed with myself

Options
Has anyone else had trouble maintaining? I lost 3 stone by September last year, and now I've gained just over half stone back, was really motivated last time but struggling to stay motivated this time, anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Motivation is hard because it really has to come from within. I have different things I do to keep me motivated. Looking at before and after pictures really motivates me.

I also find that I have way more motivation to stay under my calorie goal if I go to the gym. Don't know why but it helps immensely.

It's all about finding your currency and what makes you tick. Some people just need a swift kick to get started others need time.
  • pauline329
    pauline329 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that my nice new clothes (which won't fit me the way I'm going) will keep me motivated, I'm determined not to go back up a size, thanks for the advise
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Jasmunr wrote: »
    Motivation is hard because it really has to come from within. I have different things I do to keep me motivated. Looking at before and after pictures really motivates me.

I also find that I have way more motivation to stay under my calorie goal if I go to the gym. Don't know why but it helps immensely.

It's all about finding your currency and what makes you tick. Some people just need a swift kick to get started others need time.
    iam not too far off from maintenance myself, i find that on the days i exercise i eat less the days i dont i just go over on intake am annoyed ur not alone :0

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Lost 42 lbs, gained 7 lbs, so you're 35 lbs down from where you were.
  • pauline329
    Options
    True Scott but the way I'm enjoying the bad stuff I'll be back to 42 lb gained ha
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    pauline329 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that my nice new clothes (which won't fit me the way I'm going) will keep me motivated, I'm determined not to go back up a size, thanks for the advise

I have been told when you buy new clothes, throw out the old stuff, so you can't use them as a fall back crutch.

• pauline329
    Options
    Hi Andy, thanks for the comment
    I've done that already, so I'll have nothing to wear if I carry on,and I'm not going to buy a size bigger again but I can't believe I've let myself but on over half a stone so mad with myself
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What sort of exercise are you doing?
    Doing some exercise a few times a week should help.
    I do a lot of walking and it definitely helps me to maintain!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly I know myself and I know that sometimes I eat more so I've pretty much been maintaining for a year by keeping a deficit most days to make up for the days I eat too much.
  • pauline329
    Options
    What sort of exercise are you doing?
    Doing some exercise a few times a week should help.
    I do a lot of walking and it definitely helps me to maintain!

As well as eating things that I shouldn't my exercise has definitely dwindled, I've started back on it today though I only ever did walking for exercise, hopefully I'm gonna get back on track
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Staying motivated is so hard. The only thing that seems to work for me (based on the past, although I managed to regain after maintaining for 5 years, so I am already worrying about how to prevent that this time) is setting new goals for maintenance, like fitness/athletic related goals.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is harder than losing I think. I lost 32 pounds, maintained for a year and over the last 4, gained 35 back! On the way back down, but making less severe life changes this time that I can maintain for the long haul. Good luck to you on this journey. You can do it, just try to keep your focus on staying away from old habits. It's hard!
  • pauline329
    Options
    runmama411 wrote: »
    Maintenance is harder than losing I think. I lost 32 pounds, maintained for a year and over the last 4, gained 35 back! On the way back down, but making less severe life changes this time that I can maintain for the long haul. Good luck to you on this journey. You can do it, just try to keep your focus on staying away from old habits. It's hard!

I think you are right, first time round I found it so easy, struggling a bit this time, thanks for the advise
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've read that the reason little is said about maintenance is either because people don't know how to do it or because they're afraid that if they tell people how hard it is, people won't bother to lose weight in the first place. The people who are successful at maintenance exercise regularly, they eat about the same amount each day, they weigh at least once a week, and they have a plan for when their weight increases (or decreases) beyond a certain amount.

When I lost weight before, I kept it off for several years, but I got out of the habit of exercising, partly because of the demands of my job. I didn't weigh myself. And I would often see something in the vending machine and think, "one time won't hurt."

My plan this time is to continue exercising. I don't expect to keep logging everything I eat, but I intend to have a rough idea of how much I can have at eat meal. I plan to weigh eat week, and if my weight reaches 210 lbs, I'll cut my calorie intake to 1600 plus exercise calories for a couple of weeks.