Fat Free or Full Fat

Options
13»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It's a mixed bag for me and my choice is based on my personal taste/preference. Milk=2% or whole. Cottage cheese = 1% because it is the only one I can find locally that is "no salt added". Greek yogurt = 0%. Other dairy (sour cream, cheese, ice cream, butter) = full fat.
  • Britters101
    Britters101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The problem with some low fat or fat free foods (in general) is that they can be overloaded in sugar or sodium in order to make the product taste better. It's all about reading the label and determining with the nutritional values which products are healthier for you :)

I recommend buying a block of cheese- the real stuff- and grate it yourself. It's tastier and a little goes a long way. I've been using fat free almond milk (or skim milk, as an alternative), fat free Greek yogurt, reduced fat frozen yogurt, low fat mayo, and low fat sour cream. These items have a way less calories when some of the fat is taken out, and when paired with other healthier foods, taste pretty good regardless of the lack of fat.

Good luck on your weight loss!
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream and full fat cheese!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    low fat cheese, 2% greek yogurt I would get 0% but they don't have my brand in 0%, 1% milk (preference) because I get my fat in other places and those few calories that I save work towards my weekend deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I can't stand any kind of low fat cheese. I use 1% milk, but I also don't drink a whole lot of milk on it's own...pretty much a splash with my coffee. I prefer my Fage Greek Yogurt non-fat.

Just be careful with low fat/no fat products that are supposed to be fat...in many cases, they just substitute a bunch of sugar.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I can't stand any kind of low fat cheese. I use 1% milk, but I also don't drink a whole lot of milk on it's own...pretty much a splash with my coffee. I prefer my Fage Greek Yogurt non-fat.

Just be careful with low fat/no fat products that are supposed to be fat...in many cases, they just substitute a bunch of sugar.
    x2...low fat salad dressing just has more sugar...

ETA and it tastes weird...ick.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    Fat means flavour. I can't stand fat reduced dairy or anything fat reduced because the taste is urgh and it's generally more processed and filled up with other things like sugar to give it more taste.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy does a number on my gut. Maybe I've developed a taste for the low or non fat varieties as a result, but I personally love nonfat milk with breakfast.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Our family only eats full-fat dairy, including milk. In fact we recently moved to the country and will be buying our milk from a local dairy farm. Fats are good for my kids growing brains, taste better, and I make it fit into my goals.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't know the 'right' answer, but I go with the 'low' rather than full or free version because I think it splits the difference between good taste, low calories, and a touch of satisfying fat.