Eating before going to the gym?

Options
Hi guys

I've just started going to the gym and currently burn between 700 - 800 calories per session, 6 times a week.

I have lunch at about 1 pm (chicken salad or a sandwich) and then go to they gym at about 5.30pm. Should I be eating a snack before I train? I was thinking maybe a banana or something similar about 4.30pm but wasn't sure if that would be a good idea or not?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I am pretty clueless!

Thanks

Replies

• TruSunshine
    TruSunshine Posts: 178
    Options
    Personally, I've found that if I eat a light meal about 45 minutes before working out, I have more energy to complete my workout, and I seem to burn more calories than if I don't.
  • natalieshalom
    Options
    I always take a gainer shake or a meal replacement shake with extra protein one or two hours before I work out! Mostly to get more energy and to prevent my muscles from breaking down. It's the fat that you want to get rid off not the muscles :)
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Yes, i would. Personally I would be so hungry by that time ;)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a good carb about an hour before I work out and then protien after. Going 4 and a half hours with out eating then working out doesn't give your body that much energy to work off. Do you get light headed or dizzy working out?
  • Stasha83
    Stasha83 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, I'm going to try a banana tonight to see if that helps. To be honest I'm a bit scared of protein shakes - they sound a bit hard core!

rostrum - I don't tend to get light headed or dizzy, I occasionally get a headache towards the end of the session but I think thats becuase I dont drink enough, I'm trying to increase my water intake but finding it hard!