First 3K...mixed emotions...

Options
Well, today I competed in and completed my first ever road race. It was only a 3K so nothing huge. I am feeling some mixed emotions about it because yes, I finished and pushed myself almost to the point of passing out (it was HOT), but came in dead last. I guess if nothing else it was exercise, I completed something I have never done before, and I did more than those who tried right? Still feeling very disappointed though...

Replies

• coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The only person your competing against is yourself. YOU CAME IN 1ST. Simple as that. You did it and that's all that matters.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Now your next goal should be to feel better (don't ever feel like you're going to pass out) during the run -- make sure you drink enough water before and during the run. I've been running races a long time and the shorter the race the worst I do relatively to the group because I am a turtle not a rabbit. Those short races draw a lot of people who annoyingly don't train -- they walk and run and beat the slow and steady because they have some natural speed. If you train for a 5K or a 10K which are walker friendly, you might find more company at the back. Not all races are walker friendly because they have cutoff limits since they open the roads back up to traffic after a certain time.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    You started and finished your first race - congratulations. You certainly did not finish last, the people sitting at home finished last. YOU were out there, in the heat and finished your first race!!! Like Coryrood said when you run you race against yourself and no one else, they just happen to be racing against themselves on the same course. Don't be disappointed in yourself, you are a rock star!!! Now get out there and sign up for another!
  • RCW_III
    RCW_III Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't be disappointed. Use this as a measuring stick for future races. This time is your PB (personal best) at this distance. As your fitness increases your pace will increase too. Next year I'm sure you'll set a new PB when you run this race again. :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first road race! That's a huge accomplishment.

My friend and I did a sprint triathlon a couple years back - first (and only) triathlon for both of us. We came in dead last together. We just laughed it off because it was great exercise, it was something new, and most importantly, it was an accomplishment to finish!

Everyone starts somewhere. If you really want to do better in races, that's definitely something you can work for. Until then, just enjoy trying new things. And pat yourself on the back!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention - if having a poor race time/finishing last is really a bummer for you, look into some less serious races. I did the Color Run for my first 5K and that was great because it's a totally relaxed, fun run (lots of people just walk it). Nobody cares about time or placing. Sticking with easygoing races like that might be a good idea until you feel more comfortable with your pace. You can always do the more intense races later!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sucks, doesn't it? Use it as motivation for your future training and competition. You can only go up from here.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I totally get it! Easier to say don't be disappointed because no one wants to be the last one, but seriously you did it---period!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    coryrood wrote: »
    The only person your competing against is yourself. YOU CAME IN 1ST. Simple as that. You did it and that's all that matters.

This. I don't know you and I'm proud of you. You did it! You got out there and did your best and completed your first race. That is truly wonderful. You're a Winner!!!
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,848 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be very proud that your finished your goal. I can't find any 3K's around me, so I'm working toward a 5K.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You did it and that is more than can be said for a lot of people that stayed at home and did nothing! Use it as a measuring stick to see how you improve over time as your fitness level gets better. Find a fun race that is not based on time and is about the atmosphere of exercising while having fun, a color run is one of the best for this, and enjoy the event. I am proud of you for signing up for a race and seeing it through to the end as that takes a lot of determination and grit to do. Congratulations on completing your first race! :)
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    When I did the Spartan race they were tearing down the obstacles behind me as I completed them. Don't take it too seriously- everyone crosses the same finish line and at the end of the day you did your best and kicked *kitten*.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    If you are in it to win it, then I could understand being down about being last. I could also understand if you're trying to impress others. If you are in it to prove to yourself that you can do something you never could before, or even just because you want to be healthier or feel more alive...then I would think you should feel on top of the world.
  • epixstudiosnh
    epixstudiosnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am still a tad disappointed (I am super competitive but knew I wasn't going to finish anywhere but at the end). I just have to look at it as I did it and it was something I had never done before. IF I do anothe race it will be in cooler weather. Heat makes me cranky. Lol
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I can understand being disappointed - its how you feel and that's that. But still, congratulations. If I may quote something cheesy:

CIMG1870_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

Also, think of it this way- you paid money to do a 3k run. If you spent the most time out there, you got the best value! And everyone's first race at any distance, unless you are a pro, is just to make it across the finish line. Improvements come after, now that you know a bit more about the race experience.
  • gemdood
    gemdood Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    coryrood wrote: »

This. I don't know you and I'm proud of you. You did it! You got out there and did your best and completed your first race. That is truly wonderful. You're a Winner!!!

^^^^^^ YUP. Go you!
  • epixstudiosnh
    Options
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am still a tad disappointed (I am super competitive but knew I wasn't going to finish anywhere but at the end). I just have to look at it as I did it and it was something I had never done before. IF I do anothe race it will be in cooler weather. Heat makes me cranky. Lol

BTDT on more than one occasion. Always wonder what the police officer following discreetly 20 yards behind me was thinking. My suggestion is that you do plan on doing this one again next year (even with the heat) just for the sheer satisfaction of seeing how much you progress between now and then.

• epixstudiosnh
    Options
    LJgfg wrote: »

BTDT on more than one occasion. Always wonder what the police officer following discreetly 20 yards behind me was thinking. My suggestion is that you do plan on doing this one again next year (even with the heat) just for the sheer satisfaction of seeing how much you progress between now and then.

I kept thinking that about the guy that was walking behind us. Every time we passed a checkpoint and they would state to the person at the checkpoint that we were the end it stung.

My friend says there is another 3K in October, I may start training on cooler days and try to work up to it. Not sure. I really don't like Running. On the other hand I have already dropped 13 pounds in less than a month so I may be much lighter by that time.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Running becomes much easier as you drop. Last September I couldn't run 1km without stopping multiple times, gasping for air. Saturday I ran 12km in just over an hour and I am 25.8kg lighter. I'm still overweight but am fit and only getting fitter.

You show strong resolve. While it doesn't matter what place we finish in because our goals are fitness and losing weight for ourselves, you won't be last next time. :-)