Hey guys new to bulking

Options
Hi guys, I'm really really new to bulking and lifting weights I really need pointing in the right direction, where do I start..

Well I'm 20 years Old, 6ft4 12st4lbs I have a very active job and I struggle to get my calorie intake during the day, I don't know what I need to eat or anything so I'm such a noob! I've only just started going to the gym 4 days ago and I could do with a good training programme! If anyone could help id greatly appreciate it :)

Replies

• doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    First, when you start lifting, realize that you must do your own research. And a lot of it. Bodybuilding.com is a start.

Calculate your TDEE. Add an extra 300-500kcal for your bulk calories.
    Macros: You need ~2gram of protein per 1kg of weight. For you that is around 160grams of protein. Try to hit that each day. Then you can focus on a suitable division of carbs and fats.
    Lifting programme: beginners usually go with Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5. Both are full body workouts with a focus on compound lifts, 3 times a week. Do that for at least 3 months to become strong. After that, you can look into more hypertrophy and accessory lifts if you want.

KyleQuinnn wrote: »
    I have a very active job and I struggle to get my calorie intake during the day

Well it's your choice. Either you eat more and grow. Or you don't. (Protein/gainer shakes is a solution though. But I recommend that you try to eat proper food as much as possible.)

Anything you didn't understand in this reply, google it.
  • KyleQuinnn
    KyleQuinnn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First, when you start lifting, realize that you must do your own research. And a lot of it. Bodybuilding.com is a start.

Calculate your TDEE. Add an extra 300-500kcal for your bulk calories.
    Macros: You need ~2gram of protein per 1kg of weight. For you that is around 160grams of protein. Try to hit that each day. Then you can focus on a suitable division of carbs and fats.
    Lifting programme: beginners usually go with Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5. Both are full body workouts with a focus on compound lifts, 3 times a week. Do that for at least 3 months to become strong. After that, you can look into more hypertrophy and accessory lifts if you want.

KyleQuinnn wrote: »
    I have a very active job and I struggle to get my calorie intake during the day

Well it's your choice. Either you eat more and grow. Or you don't. (Protein/gainer shakes is a solution though. But I recommend that you try to eat proper food as much as possible.)

Anything you didn't understand in this reply, google it.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it :) I'll look in to this further! Thanks :D
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The first poster pretty much covered it. If you have trouble consuming enough calories every day, look to calorie dense foods. These include whole milk, soda, fruit juice, cheeses, full fat dairy (including creams and butters), avocado, peanut butter, beef with high fat content (70% lean ground beef), things like that. The calories will rack up pretty quickly. The first poster was right on about stronglifts if you're new to lifting becasue you need the strength base to work from, then after a few months switch to hypertrophy based programs P.H.A.T, etc. One disclaimer about bodybuilding.com, don't listen to every article you read on there. There is still a lot of broscience on that site. There are a lot of articles telling you that you must consume a protein shake within 30 minutes after your workout, or you must consume protein powder with fast absorbing carbs, etc. That's all bull. Stick to the actual science, and listen to the experts who know what they're talking about. I'd suggest reading some stuff by Alan Aragon, and Layne Norton.