How to exercise glutes but NOT grow quads

Options
Wetikaba
Wetikaba Posts: 66 Member
My butt is too soft but my legs are pretty muscly. I run a lot. Would love to target my butt without bulking my thoughts further.
I've done a good share of fitness and, I already know that squats grow my quads. Which is cool but no longer needed. MFP fitness addicts: What are your fave butt exercises?
Cheers !

Replies

• doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My favourite is deadlift. But for isolation work: Cable Glute Kickbacks On Bench.
    Also, listen to this guy: http://bretcontreras.com/best-glute-exercises/
  • Wetikaba
    Options
    Oh great! Checking it out right now. Do you train heavy for deadlifts?
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    hip thrusters
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I turn to Bret Contreras for all things glutes. He addresses this issue here.

http://bretcontreras.com/growing-glutes-without-growing-the-legs/
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do! (Heavy for me that is.) But I do hypertrophy for the isolation exercises.
    Also, my favourite is glute kickbacks because I get a really nice pump in me glutes. But I think I read that weighted hip thrusts/glute bridges are more effective in building a nice butt. However, I could never get over how awkward those exercises were...
  • arditarose
    Options
    Also, my favourite is glute kickbacks because I get a really nice pump in me glutes. But I think I read that weighted hip thrusts/glute bridges are more effective in building a nice butt. However, I could never get over how awkward those exercises were...

He suggests doing barbell hip thrusts but not the glute bridges if you don't want to grow your quads.

They are awkward but don't care. I actually think the cable pull through one is the most awkward. I won't do that one.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts still hit quads, not as much as squats but still.

Rack pulls can be done to remove quads from the equation whilst still working the lockout.
    Romanian deadlifts
  • Wetikaba
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

He suggests doing barbell hip thrusts but not the glute bridges if you don't want to grow your quads.

They are awkward but don't care. I actually think the cable pull through one is the most awkward. I won't do that one.

The cable pull through is defiitely the most akward. But that doesn't grow these quads... does it?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Wetikaba wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

The cable pull through is defiitely the most akward. But that doesn't grow these quads... does it?

lol. I don't know. Probably not. I just kind of looked at that exercise and crossed it of my list.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Love love love weighted hip thrusts for glutes!