Should I be concerned about sugar in fruit?

Options
Today I looked at my sugar intake and saw that I was 45 grams over my goal. When I looked at the sugar content in my food, everything was pretty good except for the fruit. I'm not diabetic or anything, I'm just not sure if I should be trying to not eat as much fruit since it has so much sugar. Can anyone give me some reliable information on this matter?

Replies

• lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing and was a little bit alarmed at first. I saw a thread like this in a group a week or so ago. You will get mixed responses. I have heard, and agree, that the MFP sugar goal is more based on people eating processed sugars. Since you are not diabetic, I don't think you should worry about sugar in fruit. Just keep an eye on processed sugars and you should be fine!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    There have to be literally a MILLION GAZILLION posts asking this same question. The answer is the same for all of them: unless you have a medical issue, sugar from fruit is FINE.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well, if you follow the line of thinking that sugar intake can cause health and metabolic issues down the road, it makes sense to pay attention to the amount of fruit that you eat. It is sugar, after all.

Clearly, if you already have those issues, you need to take that sugar into account.
  • TIMv4
    TIMv4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, if you follow the line of thinking that sugar intake can cause health and metabolic issues down the road, it makes sense to pay attention to the amount of fruit that you eat. It is sugar, after all.

Clearly, if you already have those issues, you need to take that sugar into account.

I can feel a difference is how the different sugars react in my system. The fact that most fruit sugars come along with fiber makes a big difference.

I actually plow through a lot of fruit but don't really pay attention to how it affects the target goals. Fairly efficient way to get more water into your system too. My skin has been great and my energy quite even.

ymmv
  • prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    The calories from sugar does cause havoc up the food diary. I've just started using it again and my apple and raisins in my muesli added 27 grams of sugar to the total sugar when my total for the day should only be 24
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I ignore the sugar macro. It was driving me crazy. I took it off. My life got better once I ignored it & I've not gained any weight despite the amount I know I'd be getting from fruit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq

Setting it to 90 grams of sugar per day would be reasonable. Not much need to eat more than two sweet fruit portions per day.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    No, might as well say 'should I be concerned about real food in my food' :noway:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i count mine as fine up to a certain point, like 100g a day
  • yarwell
    Options
    There have to be literally a MILLION GAZILLION posts asking this same question. The answer is the same for all of them: unless you have a medical issue, sugar from fruit is FINE.

That would be a misrepresentation. One point of view expressed in the million sugar threads is the starry eyed "sugar from fruit is wonderful" but equally the same threads will contain posts saying "it's the same stuff as you get in coca cola".

If you've listened to Lustig and other campaigners and decided he's wrong then sugar from fruit is fine. If you think he's onto something with fattening up your liver etc then you might want to moderate your intake of fructose and sucrose - "the vehicle is irrelevant".
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with you (and Lustig) regarding sugar; however, I think it would be a disservice to advise people to completely eliminate fruit from their diet - namely fruit that is lower on the glycemic index. It's like everything else - OK in moderation.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have not found it necessary to pay attention to it. It varies pretty widely for me -- some days are pretty heavy and some days pretty light, depending on what was on sale.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    The really really really long answer.

NO

ETA: The NO was the answer to the topic question. Not give you evidence that sugar in fruit is okay.

You seriously want a study that says sugar in watermelon, strawberries and oranges is good for you? Just an FYI if you plan on cutting out fruits because of sugar you will also be eliminating fiber, vitamins A, B, C, E, healthy antioxidants as well as some folic acid and potassium.
  • yarwell
    Options
    I actually agree with you (and Lustig) regarding sugar; however, I think it would be a disservice to advise people to completely eliminate fruit from their diet - namely fruit that is lower on the glycemic index. It's like everything else - OK in moderation.

Problem with the glycemic index (well, one of them) is that it's about glucose and by definition not fructose.

I said "you might want to moderate your intake of fructose and sucrose" and low sugar berries and similar fruits are a good way to do that.