calories in fruit and veg???

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Veggies and fruits have plenty of calories. One large salad for me, with no dressing, contains 100 calories. Bananas contain more than 100 PER PIECE. A large, ripe pomegranate contains around 400 calories. They aren't as low in calories as you might think! :)

I didn't know pomegranate was so high. Dang.

Yup, it made me sad. :'( Nearly 70 calories per 100 grams, if I recall correctly, and most of my pomegranates clocked in at around 500 grams after removing the skin. Phooey :(

Wait, so you weighed just the little seeds right?

Yup. I don't eat the skin, after all ;) With skin, my pomegranates weighed anywhere between 700 grams and a kilo!

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    kajalpoit wrote: »
    Yes,exactly surely they cant be that calorific!!?

Oh yeah. I ended up with a 140-calorie banana yesterday!

Bah! I'm so anti banana. That's a few ounces of ground turkey right there.
    I chop them up and freeze them for protein shakes so I can just divvy out a meager 50g worth at a time.

Okay well at least you didn't say you freeze them and make "ice cream". That always tickles me.
  • arditarose
    How are you all getting along with MFP? Where are you guys all from?

Good! I've lost a little over 30 pounds. NYC here.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Bananas are awesome, especially useful for the gym. Natures power bar.

Vegetables add up fast if you are a volume eater.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited May 2015
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes,exactly surely they cant be that calorific!!?

Oh yeah. I ended up with a 140-calorie banana yesterday!

Bah! I'm so anti banana. That's a few ounces of ground turkey right there.
    I chop them up and freeze them for protein shakes so I can just divvy out a meager 50g worth at a time.

Okay well at least you didn't say you freeze them and make "ice cream". That always tickles me.
    Me too!
  • arditarose
    Veggies and fruits have plenty of calories. One large salad for me, with no dressing, contains 100 calories. Bananas contain more than 100 PER PIECE. A large, ripe pomegranate contains around 400 calories. They aren't as low in calories as you might think! :)

Yup, it made me sad. :'( Nearly 70 calories per 100 grams, if I recall correctly, and most of my pomegranates clocked in at around 500 grams after removing the skin. Phooey :(

Yup. I don't eat the skin, after all ;) With skin, my pomegranates weighed anywhere between 700 grams and a kilo!

That's a big ole pomegranate. Well that's good to know actually. I have a pretty good idea about calories in food and am a pre-logger, but if I picked one up I probably wouldn't assume that many.
  • Susieq_1994
    How are you all getting along with MFP? Where are you guys all from?

From Oman here... I've been on MFP for a little over two years and I love it. I lost over 50 pounds, now I'm working on taking 14 back off after a VERY indulgent vacation. ;)
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Calorie_Counting_K Posts: 48 Member
    Wow i love NYC would love to visit someday again.
    Ardita you look amazing! Whats ur secret?
  • kami3006
    It has been great for me. Lost 20 lbs and am about to start recomp.

I'm in Richmond, Virginia.
  • Susieq_1994

That's a big ole pomegranate. Well that's good to know actually. I have a pretty good idea about calories in food and am a pre-logger, but if I picked one up I probably wouldn't assume that many.

I'm a pre-logger too. :) The calories definitely gave me a bit of a shock! I fed most of it to my husband, though. ;)

• arditarose
    Wow i love NYC would love to visit someday again.
    Ardita you look amazing! Whats ur secret?

ha, thanks. I ate at a deficit, logged all my food, used a food scale and definitely WEIGHED my fruits and veggies :) I ate whatever I wanted, dessert every night-wine on the weekends.

I lifted heavy all throughout my weight loss, with minimal cardio, and ate an adequate amount of protein to help save LBM.
  • arditarose
    It has been great for me. Lost 20 lbs and am about to start recomp.

I'm in Richmond, Virginia.

Yay! I just started my recomp two weeks ago. Good luck!
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Nice,u guys are all from the US. Im from the UK. U guys have done amazingly well! Congrats to u all! U guys should be proud of urselves x :)
    Any tips or advice would be great! I just need to shift about a stone and a half.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Hmm, I wonder if the calorie count for my melon was for just the flesh or a piece with the rind still attached. Same I always wonder when wanting to eat chicken legs.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    edited May 2015
    WW make fruit and veg 0 Points to encourage people to eat them instead of something else. If you could have a banana for 2 points, or a cookie, lots of people would go for the cookie. The points allotments are geared to take into consideration that you will be eating fruit and veg along with your daily points - kind of like if MFP didn't count veg, your calorie allotment would be a couple hundred less. So WW DO count fruit and veg, they just do it for you on averages when calculating how many points you should eat rather than getting you to do it.

I recently made a batch of the "Free" soup that WW used to tout all the time - it is 140 cals a bowl, and I used to eat 2-3 bowls a day on top of the rest of the veg I ate. It's actually quite odd that they don't count fruit and veg, fruit especially, because it gives people a really skewed idea of their intake.
  • kami3006
    Thanks. I've listened to a lot of your advice actually. You're very motivating. :)
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Whats recomp? Sorry if its a silly qn
  • arditarose
    Whats recomp? Sorry if its a silly qn

It's changing your body composition. Weight training to try to lose fat and gain muscle. It's a long process as you can't typically gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. So, I always question my choice lol.
  • Susieq_1994

Hmm, I wonder if the calorie count for my melon was for just the flesh or a piece with the rind still attached. Same I always wonder when wanting to eat chicken legs.

USDA information always refers only to the edible parts of food, "with bone and gristle removed", according to their guidelines. That includes fruit skins, eggshells, and bones in meat, fish, and poultry. :)

• kami3006
    Best advice on here is to use a food scale and don't cut out foods.. Just fit them into your available calories.