Gaining weight?!

Options
I have been slowly but steadily losing weight for about 4 months by eating better and walking. Now that I have started strength training I have gained 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks while not eating any differently (logging and weighing). What gives? I know I haven't gained 5 pounds of muscle this quickly. Anyone else dealt with this before? Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Water retention, whether from your muscles holding it to repair or sodium intake or hormones. Keep on going and it should drop off soon.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Water retention, whether from your muscles holding it to repair or sodium intake or hormones. Keep on going and it should drop off soon.

This.

It should drop off.
  • leslileberman
    leslileberman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's so discouraging to know you're doing the right thing and it doesn't show! I will definitely stick with it though!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it definitely can be if you aren't aware of your fluctuations. I gained three pounds between yesterday and today for a number of reasons (weighing two hours earlier, I'm ovulating, I just re-started lifting this week, and I had hot dogs for dinner last night aka sodium city). When I weigh again tomorrow morning, I can expect that number will go down some...maybe not all, since I did lift today and worked my muscles.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yeah, it definitely can be if you aren't aware of your fluctuations. I gained three pounds between yesterday and today for a number of reasons (weighing two hours earlier, I'm ovulating, I just re-started lifting this week, and I had hot dogs for dinner last night aka sodium city). When I weigh again tomorrow morning, I can expect that number will go down some...maybe not all, since I did lift today and worked my muscles.

Word. I gain when I ovulate, gain during my period, eat salt all the time, lift heavy. There's like one window every month I can get an accurate reading.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Weigh the day after your rest day. It helps. I'm always 2-4 lbs higher the day after lifting. And take measurements for comparison. You'll see your progress that way even if the scale is being pissy. :)
  • leslileberman
    leslileberman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Scale is definitely in a mood! I've got quite a ways to go still, so maybe I'll start tracking the ups as well to start getting my own 'pattern' down. Until now it's usually been .2 down every few days so the big gain for almost a week has thrown me for a loop.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I'm one week into a new strength training program and up 4 lbs. It'll happen every time you work your muscles enough to cause damage and growth.