Chris Powell cheat day?

Options
Hello! I am wondering if anyone is allowing themselves extra calories once a week, almost like a cheat day? Chris Powell says to keep it controlled to about 1000 extra calories, once a week. What he recommends for a daily calorie intake is just about the same as what MFP recommends... Thanks!

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I dont see the point.

What do you do with your extra 1000 calories?

If it's a special event like a birthday or wedding etc then sure over eat and enjoy the day.

But a planed day each week to over eat seems silly. At least for me. It might work for you.

*Insert YouTube video of that one step forward two steps back song.*

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Makes no sense to me. Take much longer to meet your goal that way.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I dont see the point.

If it's a special event like a birthday or wedding etc then sure over eat and enjoy the day.

But a planed day each week to over eat seems silly. At least for me. It might work for you.

:huh: um, that's how we all got here... or at least some of using the site to drop the weight.

OP - How about you eat at maintenance every so often if you feel like you want to do something special... that works for some.
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do a different kind of cheat day (not every week). For me cheat day is staying within my calorie goal but ignoring the macros for that day. So if I want to blow all my calories on a big plate of Spaghetti Carbonara or only eat hamburgers that would be a cheat day for me.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I dont see the point.

:huh: um, that's how we all got here... or at least some of using the site to drop the weight.

OP - How about you eat at maintenance every so often if you feel like you want to do something special... that works for some.

So you think people got here because they over ate at special events like birthdays and weddings?

That might be the case for a few but I imagine most got here because they over ate every day. Every week.

Do you really want to be watching your calories at a close family members wedding? Or just enjoy the day with in reason.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you're going to cheat by 1000 calories, why not just eat 170 calories less on the other six days?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I allow myself extra calories at one meal a week. Not 1,000, though. Maybe 300-400. I am a firm believer in this. Your body tends to adjust to a consistently lowered caloric intake with slowed metabolism. Eating slightly more once a week means your body won't adjust to that lower caloric intake. This helps you lose faster, with fewer plateaus.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I dont see the point.

So you think people got here because they over ate at special events like birthdays and weddings?

That might be the case for a few but I imagine most got here because they over ate every day. Every week.

Do you really want to be watching your calories at a close family members wedding? Or just enjoy the day with in reason.

Yep. I know I got here because I overate most days of the week for a long time.

Overeating on special occasions is actually fun.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you're going to cheat by 1000 calories, why not just eat 170 calories less on the other six days?

Planning that is out is a good thing. :)
  • kak22283
    kak22283 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think that was his point for the most part, keeping it under control. I'm grateful that we have the ability to come to a group to ask such question, because it's nice to get a variety of answers. Definitely food for though... (No pun intended) Thank you for taking the time to read my question, though, to some it seems like a no brainer, (answering without the snark), I'm still new and learning.
    :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    When I was losing the last 10 pounds, I was at a .5 pound/week deficit. If I had an extra 1000 calories, it would more than cut that deficit in half. That just seems extremely high even for those with more to lose. I don't restrict any foods so I was able to have anything as long as I planned for it. Once a month, right before that TOM, I would feel extremely hungry and would eat up to maintenance but not over. That worked well for me. I know several folks on here that eat up to maintenance once a week or so but that's no where near 1000 calories more.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat at maintenance one day a week. This allows me a special dinner out with the hubby, pizza (and soda!) night with the kids, etc. I am sure I would lose quicker if I ate at or under goal all 7 days a week, but this maintenance day gives me a little mental health break. Its usually only 400-500 cal over, not 1k though.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    IammeCA wrote: »
    I do a different kind of cheat day (not every week). For me cheat day is staying within my calorie goal but ignoring the macros for that day. So if I want to blow all my calories on a big plate of Spaghetti Carbonara or only eat hamburgers that would be a cheat day for me.

This is how I "cheat" as well and the following day I do s double at the gym
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I allow myself extra calories at one meal a week. Not 1,000, though. Maybe 300-400. I am a firm believer in this. Your body tends to adjust to a consistently lowered caloric intake with slowed metabolism. Eating slightly more once a week means your body won't adjust to that lower caloric intake. This helps you lose faster, with fewer plateaus.

Omg this! I am relatively new to MFP (abour a month of logging)and I lost nothing last week. I also didn't go over my calories either (maybe by only 50) on any day. This weekend I didn't log as I usually do, but I am sure I went over both Saturday and sunday. I ate a homemade fried monte cristo sandwich and potato chips and two corn dogs for my lunches, and a few spoonfuls of cookie dough, etc. But I lost 3 pounds this week! And it didnt register till this morning as i weigh myself daily. I won't be making this type of eating g a habit, but it was pretty strange.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I track across the week - some days I eat more, some days I eat less .. that's how food works

no cheats .. but I eat what I want most of the time once my protein macro is met
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ^^ I have days in the week where I eat high cal, but as I track calories weekly, it comes out in the wash and I'm still at the right deficit over all. Well... that's the plan, I've been a bit crap at it lately. But they haven't been cheat days, just "dammit, I forgot to care again" days. Certainly not aprt of my plan.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ^^ I have days in the week where I eat high cal, but as I track calories weekly, it comes out in the wash and I'm still at the right deficit over all. Well... that's the plan, I've been a bit crap at it lately. But they haven't been cheat days, just "dammit, I forgot to care again" days. Certainly not aprt of my plan.

"forgot to care" days .. Laughsss
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I dont see the point.

Yep. I know I got here because I overate most days of the week for a long time.

Overeating on special occasions is actually fun.
    Hehe yep

Calories in, calories out

Not just today, not even just this week but over the long term. So long as you have a sustainable method that keeps you in a deficit, you'll get and/or stay thinner. A lot of us use the weekly numbers to help guide these kinds of strategies. The apps have a nice bar chart to show how your average calories are looking over the week...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Deficit is king.

Cheat/treat/splurge/whatever are terms your deficit doesn't understand.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Gosh, not 1000 extra, but a few hundred for a treat meal and some drinks on a Friday night, saved up through the week and through very small breakfast and lunch during the day on Friday.