Energy

So, I am trying to get myself into an exercise routine but am finding I lack the energy to just get out and do it. I end up saying I will do it at this time and always find an excuse to put it off. Well, this needs to change. Can anyone give me some tips to be more energetic?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Just do it. No excuses. "Lacking energy" is an excuse. Get up and walk for 30 minutes. Or even 15! Do it regularly and begin adding more time gradually. As it becomes a habit, and as you begin losing, your energy levels will increase. Also, how much added sugar are you eating? Too much will sap your energy.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I agree with the poster above, just do it. After it becomes routine, it'll get easier
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    So, I am trying to get myself into an exercise routine but am finding I lack the energy to just get out and do it. I end up saying I will do it at this time and always find an excuse to put it off. Well, this needs to change. Can anyone give me some tips to be more energetic?
    Are you eating enough? Calorie intake can definitely affect energy levels.

Also, just make that time to exercise. Make it YOU time. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    When you don't feel like doing it is when you should just go do it. You might be even more tired when you get back, but its a good tired.
  • siskomartel
    siskomartel Posts: 1 Member
    The trick for me is to develop a habit. I started off really easy, said that in the morning I have to go to the gym. I can exercise for an hour, 30 minutes, or even 5 minutes. Doesn't matter how much time I spend there, just that I get there every day. So when I wake up in the morning and all the excuses come in, I always counter with - well, I'll just go for five minutes. I just can't argue with that - 5 minutes is nothing! So I go, and when I get there, I almost always do more. But still - it's not the time, but making it a habit. Now I wake up and it feels strange when I'm not instantly headed to the gym. So my advice would be to figure out something - go to the gym, go out for a walk - but make it easy. Set the bar low, so low that there's no way to talk yourself out of it. The only thing you have to stick with is to do it every day. After a few weeks, you'll start to feel strange when you're not doing the habit. Take it slow, take it easy, but dedicate that every day you'll do just a little bit to get you there. 5 minutes doesn't seem like much, but over time it becomes huge. good luck!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    I find once I start moving my energy levels go up and I feel more motivated. I have to push myself to start but that's about it.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    You just gotta do it. There's no magic trick, but once you do, it will be easier and easier, and you'll have more energy!
    This morning I was exhausted: the baby had been up every hour overnight, and had woken the toddler up a couple times too. I'd felt rubbish already, and found at why as Aunt Flo paid her monthly visit. It was a fast paced 20 minute walk in rainy weather to get the kids to crèche and myself to a bodyattack class.
    I could have made an excuse, but I forced myself to go. You should have seen how I floated out of that class, full of energy and good will
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Lack energy eh? Do you some how find the energy to do things you enjoy?

You just got to do it. Make it part of your routine. Every Monday you do this at this time. Every Tuesday you do that.

You got to hold your self accountable. But maybe doing something with others might guilt you into going. Find someone to walk with, join a class etc

• steviedream
    steviedream Posts: 21 Member
    Go for it! You'll feel amazing afterwards, and you will get used to it ... the more you do, your energy levels will go up and you'll start looking forward to your workouts! You can do it :smiley: