How do you get ready for your morning workout?

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
I have moved my workout time from afternoon to about 6:45 am. How do you wake yourself up enough to run? What do you eat in order to give you enough energy? Thanks for your imput!

Replies

• 194Days
    194Days Posts: 16
    Options
    I've recently gotten back into the habit of running in the morning... the 2 key things for me are: I remind myself I *want* to get up and the other is to get up the minute my alarm goes off. If I wait, then I give my brain time to convince me to sleep in instead of get up and get moving. For energy I rely mostly on caffeine...maybe not the best, but it works!
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I get up at 5, put on my hrm and start working out, no time to hesitate or think about!
  • kcavalier
    kcavalier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I usually get up and run in the mornings as well and I have more energy after I have a small banana or protein bar (Luna/Laura.. etc) + water and then wait about twenty minutes after I have that before I go out and get my exercise on.

I've heard a lot of people just use coffee though, too! :)

Hope this helps!
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    hiii there! im glad u changed ur schedule around. ive noticed i go way more regularly and it makes my day so much better. when u ask how do u get urself to 'wake up enough' - - soon enough this run is what will wake u up. and make u feel extra energized all day.

ok so what i do is i put some coffee on. and i combine a small banana w/ a teaspoon of peanut butter. (sometimes the bananas at sam's club are HUGE so i have a half of it and probably use the other half in my oatmeal when im back.)

good luck!
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    I take the tube into work, on some mornings it's like a fight to get off, and that wakes me up enough for my workout.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I wake up and just go! I think of it as my "me" time---2 little ones at home all by myself right now! So I use that for motivation, its my alone time for the day and I'd rather be doing something productive (working out) than sleeping...other wise i will just feel guilty for the rest of the day!
    I don't eat anything before I go---which I know is bad, but I do a lot of cardio and don't want to worry about it coming up!! I eat a banana right when I get home from the gym before the shower---someone told me this once, not sure if its true so don't jump on me if this is bogus people! It takes your body a half hour to get all off the nutrients out of veggies/fruits---if you eat anything else with them your body doesn't get everything from them....so you shouldn't eat anything a half hour before or after you have a fruit or veggie to get what you need from them! i think that before or after a workout is a perfect time to get one serving in! :)

anyways, keep up the great work and stay motivated!
  • mfontanez77
    mfontanez77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe it sounds silly but I leave my curtain open so when the sun comes up it wakes me up slowly, I'll generally start meditating as I lie there for a couple of minutes. Once my brain is going, it's easier to push my body out of bed and get going. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I always have at least half a banana before my early morning runs.
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    I get up at 5, put on my hrm and start working out, no time to hesitate or think about!

You get up at 5am????!!! I am humbled by your dedication - wow! Nothing, and I really mean nothing exercise driven could persuade me to get up at 5am!! I thought 6.30 was good going .......... kudos!!
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I'm up at 5:30 - or at least that's when the alarm goes off - and some mornings I don't get up but I do most of the time. I think about what I'll burn and how that will affect my food choices for the day. Plus if I don't do something then I feel achy most of the morning and after sitting for 3 hours I'll begin to regret not moving it earlier.

I don't eat anything - just some water to rehydrate and then go. Either running or doing the Shred workout. If I just can't get going I'll walk the dog.
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    Maybe it sounds silly but I leave my curtain open so when the sun comes up it wakes me up slowly, I'll generally start meditating as I lie there for a couple of minutes. Once my brain is going, it's easier to push my body out of bed and get going. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I'm the same way. The sun wakes me up pretty well. If the room is too dark, I just won't get up...
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 and work out an hour. It's just about the only big block of time I have to workout. It is my me time too. I get up that early so I can get my shower and get out of hubby's way in the morning so he can shower. He's a grouch in the morning so I try to stay clear...lol Wonderful man the rest of the day but does not do mornings well.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Sometimes I eat half a banana before my workout (I am doing p90x), it depends what my schedule is. When I used to run, I did it on an empty stomach, if I had eaten recently I always got side stitches.